NCAA MegaDivisions

UNTflyer

Dear God we, SMU, Arkansas State, Tulsa, and New Mexico State would get brutally beat down every year.

However, conferences should be aligned regionally regardless of television. Some teams would still dominate and playoffs are the way sports were meant to be played. Even our president, who I don't usually agree with, believes this. The current system is technically an unfair marketplace and may need intervention from someone other than the NCAA or the various bowls which operate with massive tax exemptions. It's big money and monopolies are against the law, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dear God we, SMU, Arkansas State, Tulsa, and New Mexico State would get brutally beat down every year.

Yes, but at the same time money and resources would be more evenly distributed to all universities.

In addition, recruiting would be much more focused around what each school has to offer and what the best fit for the student is over "I'm going to school x because they're in an AQ conference and I'm more likely to get looked at for the NFL."

Stronger programs will always exist, but a set up like this would help even the playing field (just a little bit).

All they are is moving back to the D1A, D1AA days. They want the revenue for a select group of "mega conference" programs that fill the stadiums for TV. That's the way it's always been. Now teams are willing to travel their teams across country, scrambling to be included in one of these mega conferences. UNT and others like us don't have a chance. Not enough money(donors) and prestige. I've resigned to the fact that UNT will never, ever be in the top "mega conference" pool of teams.

• Upvote 1

Yes, but at the same time money and resources would be more evenly distributed to all universities.

In addition, recruiting would be much more focused around what each school has to offer and what the best fit for the student is over "I'm going to school x because they're in an AQ conference and I'm more likely to get looked at for the NFL."

Stronger programs will always exist, but a set up like this would help even the playing field (just a little bit).

The reasons you stated above are exactly why it will never happen. The big schools will never give the little guys a chance at an even playing field so they'll keep playing each other in these ridiculous new conferences.

The reasons you stated above are exactly why it will never happen. The big schools will never give the little guys a chance at an even playing field so they'll keep playing each other in these ridiculous new conferences.

Size doesn't matter...at least it isn't the only thing. I believe UNT is bigger than some of the schools I think you've lumped in with the "big schools".

All they are is moving back to the D1A, D1AA days. They want the revenue for a select group of "mega conference" programs that fill the stadiums for TV. That's the way it's always been. Now teams are willing to travel their teams across country, scrambling to be included in one of these mega conferences. UNT and others like us don't have a chance. Not enough money(donors) and prestige. I've resigned to the fact that UNT will never, ever be in the top "mega conference" pool of teams.

Sadly. This is most likely the probable outcome of all this. I used to love colllege football. Now, I hate everything about the FBS except for when NT plays. In fact, I am more likely to watch the FCS playoffs over a FBS bowl game.

DG, I have resigned myself to this as well. We haven't been close to being a mega-conference team, from performance to funding to support, like the other big state programs in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, or Arkansas. I don't ever see us getting the T-shirt fandom to support us over Texas, A&M, Tech, OU, OSU, LSU, or Arky, nor do I ever see a time when the citizens of Denton will support us like other college towns do.

For the life of me, I will never understand why we have literally no allies in this state that would want to be in a conference with us, other than old SLC teams. It boggles my mind that we have found ourselves blocked by private schools into membership into their conferences. And I find it more shameful that this university accepted this blackballing so easily for so long. If I had been the president of the university or the AD, I would have been going to SMU and TCU in the Metroplex and selling them on the benefits of being aligned together and asking what it would take to open this up. If they refused, you get it out to the media to make them have to answer for it. Then, you go to Houston and Rice and UTEP and do the same thing. Hell, we could've been in the old WAC as partners to UTEP long before the MWC ever even existed if we had been even a little proactive back in the day. But, in true UNT fashion, we decided to just give up and "accept" 1-aa back when we shouldn't have dropped. It will haunt us forever. We may never have been a top 60 school to be considered a mega-conference program, but we also should never allowed ourselves to be looked at as if we didn't even belong in the top 90, as we basically decided in 1981. Its become very clear that the rest of the college football world--conferences, media, fans, other schools--looks at us as not mattering, which I believe is cemented from those 12 years in purgatory. Local media doesn't give a flip about us, the local citizenry cares about HS football and how the Big XII and SEC teams are doing, and the students and faculty just don't care enough about us to go watch us play unless we are playing someone they have heard of. Its like "Groundhog Day" here.

DG, I have resigned myself to this as well. We haven't been close to being a mega-conference team, from performance to funding to support, like the other big state programs in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, or Arkansas. I don't ever see us getting the T-shirt fandom to support us over Texas, A&M, Tech, OU, OSU, LSU, or Arky, nor do I ever see a time when the citizens of Denton will support us like other college towns do.

For the life of me, I will never understand why we have literally no allies in this state that would want to be in a conference with us, other than old SLC teams. It boggles my mind that we have found ourselves blocked by private schools into membership into their conferences. And I find it more shameful that this university accepted this blackballing so easily for so long. If I had been the president of the university or the AD, I would have been going to SMU and TCU in the Metroplex and selling them on the benefits of being aligned together and asking what it would take to open this up. If they refused, you get it out to the media to make them have to answer for it. Then, you go to Houston and Rice and UTEP and do the same thing. Hell, we could've been in the old WAC as partners to UTEP long before the MWC ever even existed if we had been even a little proactive back in the day. But, in true UNT fashion, we decided to just give up and "accept" 1-aa back when we shouldn't have dropped. It will haunt us forever. We may never have been a top 60 school to be considered a mega-conference program, but we also should never allowed ourselves to be looked at as if we didn't even belong in the top 90, as we basically decided in 1981. Its become very clear that the rest of the college football world--conferences, media, fans, other schools--looks at us as not mattering, which I believe is cemented from those 12 years in purgatory. Local media doesn't give a flip about us, the local citizenry cares about HS football and how the Big XII and SEC teams are doing, and the students and faculty just don't care enough about us to go watch us play unless we are playing someone they have heard of. Its like "Groundhog Day" here.

1. the only revenue that would ever have any possibility of being "shared equally" (and that possibility is zero) is TV revenue and even if you took 100% of the TV revenue away from UT they would still have 100 million more in budget than north Texas and you are not entitled to their ticket or merchandise sales or their private donations even if you are an obama voter

2. there was no black balling Hayden Fry has said this in his book it is clear as day others can try and refute that, but he was the AD and the coach at the time and he has put it in writing the others have "his memory is slipping" as their proof which is pure BS

3. the reason north Texas has no allies is because others are busy building their own programs and don't have the time to drag north Texas along with them kicking and screaming the whole way......I don't see north Texas helping out UTSA or TxState and in fact I see many on here that would love to have them go away

look at the above stupid 120 "equality" divisions above......notice how it leaves out UTSA and TxState and two other schools......yet north Texas still expects charity from others.....pretty pathetic

4. north Texas has not accepted "black balling" because it has not happened.....north Texas fans, supporters, and administrators have accepted praticipation trophies and demands for "equality" (while trying to black ball others and leave them behind and not associating with them) because they don't care to actually do the work temselves they prefer to demand others do it for them and then cry when others laugh at that and move on for themselves

5. what are the benefits of SMU and TCU being with north Texas.....TCU got into the Big 12 without the "help" of north Texas and SMU got into the CUSA and Big East without north Texas....and what is the media going to make them "answer for?".....not dragging the little sisters of the poor along?.......doing something that Hayden Fry has stated in writing was never done?......looking out for their own programs as they should?........doing the same exact thing that north Texas fans want to do to UTSA and TxState?.....should north Texas have to answer for not championing the cause of UTSA and TxState as well?

6. you said it yourself.....what should UTEP "answer for?" the refusal of north Texas to care or have a vision or make any effort to me anything more than the lowest rung on the ladder

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And all of this crap goes back to the people running the show, or the people that ran the show when we dropped down to 1AA. Take your pick.

This whole scenario smacks of our first attempt at gaining admission to CUSA. Complete failure by the university, the fans, and the community. Makes be sick at our ineptitude in all things athletic.

for everyone who has always clambered about wanting a playoff in college football... that is what expansion is leading to... they are slowly getting rid of the teams that 'don't belong' and will soon have it down to 64 teams competing for 16 playoff spots... and that will be all of D1 football...

makes for a much cleaner postseason...

The thing that stinks the most is that you just know that the older CUSA teams that haven't left yet will take the first bus out of town if given the choice. Whether its the Big East or the Mountain West, USM, UTEP, Tulsa, Marshall, UAB, and Rice will jump as soon as possible. So we will get SBCUSA, which is the combo of SBC and WAC schools. I can easily see this playing out:

WESTERN DIVISION EASTERN DIVISION

NMSU WKU

TX State FIU

UTSA FAU

UNT MUTS

La Tech Charlotte

ULL Old Dominion

Its not good, but its marginally better than what we have had. You would still have divisional games against temas in your state and ones that border you. Play three teams out east and there you go. No more ULM, USA, or Troy, although I would rather play Troy and USA than Charlotte or ODU, but those may not be available to be moved to the old SBC.

Edited by untjim1995

1. the only revenue that would ever have any possibility of being "shared equally" (and that possibility is zero) is TV revenue and even if you took 100% of the TV revenue away from UT they would still have 100 million more in budget than north Texas and you are not entitled to their ticket or merchandise sales or their private donations even if you are an obama voter

2. there was no black balling Hayden Fry has said this in his book it is clear as day others can try and refute that, but he was the AD and the coach at the time and he has put it in writing the others have "his memory is slipping" as their proof which is pure BS

3. the reason north Texas has no allies is because others are busy building their own programs and don't have the time to drag north Texas along with them kicking and screaming the whole way......I don't see north Texas helping out UTSA or TxState and in fact I see many on here that would love to have them go away

look at the above stupid 120 "equality" divisions above......notice how it leaves out UTSA and TxState and two other schools......yet north Texas still expects charity from others.....pretty pathetic

4. north Texas has not accepted "black balling" because it has not happened.....north Texas fans, supporters, and administrators have accepted praticipation trophies and demands for "equality" (while trying to black ball others and leave them behind and not associating with them) because they don't care to actually do the work temselves they prefer to demand others do it for them and then cry when others laugh at that and move on for themselves

5. what are the benefits of SMU and TCU being with north Texas.....TCU got into the Big 12 without the "help" of north Texas and SMU got into the CUSA and Big East without north Texas....and what is the media going to make them "answer for?".....not dragging the little sisters of the poor along?.......doing something that Hayden Fry has stated in writing was never done?......looking out for their own programs as they should?........doing the same exact thing that north Texas fans want to do to UTSA and TxState?.....should north Texas have to answer for not championing the cause of UTSA and TxState as well?

6. you said it yourself.....what should UTEP "answer for?" the refusal of north Texas to care or have a vision or make any effort to me anything more than the lowest rung on the ladder

Whatever you say, Check Facts...no blackballing, huh? That's funny...you have to be the single worst poster on this forum I have ever read, which is why I have you ignored. But, since you trolled so well here, I figured that I would respond with opinions, too. Go ahead and do a qucik poll on whether UNT fans believe anything you just wrote. For that matter, do one on whether anyone ever believes anything you ever post.