Mean Green Will Host UTEP in 2013

MeanGreen61

I'll just put it down... This is the best football schedule we have had EVER and will only get better in the following year when the SMU series starts! Seriously, someone prove me wrong but I don't see a better overall schedule with recognizable teams that are coming to Denton in the modern era...

And we will also be starting the series with Army in the next few years.

2013 as the BEST ever UNT schedule will be short lived. 2014 will quickly surpass it as we open the 2014 season against UT and begin the SMU series I believe at home that year... if the projected schedule for 2013 we are discussing holds true, we could be looking at a 2014 season that includes 8 GAMES In the State of Texas, a trip to New Orleans and a short trip up the highway to Tulsa.

@Texas (Austin)

SMU (Denton)

@Indiana (Bloomington)

@ UTEP (El Paso)

@Tulane (New Orleans)

@Rice (Houston)

@ECU (Greenville)

vs UTSA (Denton)

vs Tulsa (Denton)

vs UAB (Denton)

vs Marshall (Denton)

and if we buy a game with an FCS school, we could be looking at 1 more in state game that year. Wow.

• Upvote 1

Well I can tell you this, Army's only open date in 2014 is 8/30 which is when we play Texas so I doubt we play Army that year. In fact the Army schedule starts in 2015 or 2016... Just looking at the schedule we need one more home game to get to six so you're probably right we will but a home game with a Texas team that can bus most likely so that would give us 9 home games in the State of Texas which I would guess has never happened in the history of the program...I could be wrong but I don't think so.. here's a listing of the past schedules which don't include I-AA years:

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/NorthTexas.htm

2013 as the BEST ever UNT schedule will be short lived. 2014 will quickly surpass it as we open the 2014 season against UT and begin the SMU series I believe at home that year... if the projected schedule for 2013 we are discussing holds true, we could be looking at a 2014 season that includes 8 GAMES In the State of Texas, a trip to New Orleans and a short trip up the highway to Tulsa.

@Texas (Austin)

SMU (Denton)

@Indiana (Bloomington)

@ UTEP (El Paso)

@Tulane (New Orleans)

@Rice (Houston)

@ECU (Greenville)

vs UTSA (Denton)

vs Tulsa (Denton)

vs UAB (Denton)

vs Marshall (Denton)

Several of those won't fly. You won't get a return of the same east teams the following year. You are more likely to get FIU, Southern Miss, and/or LaTech, Old Dominion. There could be a reshuffle of division teams for the 2014 season because ODU is coming in a year early and Charlotte enters in 2015 so they will have the east a team short in 2014. We'll only have two teams from the eastern division in the future...one home and one away...and that should start in 2014.

• Upvote 1

Several of those won't fly. You won't get a return of the same east teams the following year. You are more likely to get FIU, Southern Miss, and/or LaTech, Old Dominion. There could be a reshuffle of division teams for the 2014 season because ODU is coming in a year early and Charlotte enters in 2015 so they will have the east a team short in 2014. We'll only have two teams from the eastern division in the future...one home and one away...and that should start in 2014.

The way CUSA has operated in the past is that teams play the same crossover oppenents in back to back years in a home/home, but I guess there is no guarantee they would continue this. ODU cannot officially join the football conference until 2015 so the conference schedules should not be impacted. ODU will play as an FCS independent in 2013 and as an FBS independent in 2014, although they have asked for some help from CUSA with some games there is no guarantee that they will get games.

North Texas is a potential opponent because we have an open date on our calendar in 2014. If any CUSA teams play ODU in 2013, it will count as an FCS game. If anyone plays them in 2014 it will count as an FBS game (but OOC for CUSA teams). It would certainly help our schedule out if we are able to get ODU to play at Apogee in 2014, but it would probably cost us a lot more to pay them to come to Denton than a local FCS team, unless they are willing to play an away game for cheap.

• Upvote 1

@Texas (Austin)

SMU (Denton)

@Indiana (Bloomington)

@ UTEP (El Paso)

@Tulane (New Orleans)

@Rice (Houston)

@ECU (Greenville)

vs UTSA (Denton)

vs Tulsa (Denton)

vs UAB (Denton)

vs Marshall (Denton)

This may be the College of Music student in me, but I would love to beat the hell out of Indiana again.

Well I can tell you this, Army's only open date in 2014 is 8/30 which is when we play Texas so I doubt we play Army that year. In fact the Army schedule starts in 2015 or 2016... Just looking at the schedule we need one more home game to get to six so you're probably right we will but a home game with a Texas team that can bus most likely so that would give us 9 home games in the State of Texas which I would guess has never happened in the history of the program...I could be wrong but I don't think so.. here's a listing of the past schedules which don't include I-AA years:

http://www.jhowell.n.../NorthTexas.htm

Highest # of games played in Texas:

1957 - 8

1959 - 9

1961 - 8

1974 - 9

1978 - 8

[1980 had only 2 home games???]

1999 - 8

The way CUSA has operated in the past is that teams play the same crossover oppenents in back to back years in a home/home, but I guess there is no guarantee they would continue this. ODU cannot officially join the football conference until 2015 so the conference schedules should not be impacted. ODU will play as an FCS independent in 2013 and as an FBS independent in 2014, although they have asked for some help from CUSA with some games there is no guarantee that they will get games.

North Texas is a potential opponent because we have an open date on our calendar in 2014. If any CUSA teams play ODU in 2013, it will count as an FCS game. If anyone plays them in 2014 it will count as an FBS game (but OOC for CUSA teams). It would certainly help our schedule out if we are able to get ODU to play at Apogee in 2014, but it would probably cost us a lot more to pay them to come to Denton than a local FCS team, unless they are willing to play an away game for cheap.

I believe that I read that ODU was having difficulty getting opponents (much less home games) for 2014 and had asked the league office for scheduling help. Although the results wouldn't count in the conference standings they would need as many CUSA opponents as possible for a decent number of games. They would like for as many to come to Norfolk as possible but would be open to travel. I don't think that CUSA would try to force any member to schedule Old Dominion in 2014 but could help coordinate games with an eye toward the 2015 schedule when Charlotte will also be included. That might keep a member school from having to visit Norfolk two years in a row.

I believe that I read that ODU was having difficulty getting opponents (much less home games) for 2014 and had asked the league office for scheduling help. Although the results wouldn't count in the conference standings they would need as many CUSA opponents as possible for a decent number of games. They would like for as many to come to Norfolk as possible but would be open to travel. I don't think that CUSA would try to force any member to schedule Old Dominion in 2014 but could help coordinate games with an eye toward the 2015 schedule when Charlotte will also be included. That might keep a member school from having to visit Norfolk two years in a row.

Yep, that is my understanding also. We do currently have an open date in 2014 so you never know...