Why doesn't JimJim get the bulk of the carries?

UNTstormchaser

*note: as of this post, a slightly delayed ESPN box score that I'm unfortunately being forced to watch since KNTU keeps having a stroke currently has Jimmerson leading the team in carries with 7 to Brown's 3 and Byrd's 4, so perhaps what I am about to ask is actually already being solved.*

Serious question: Does anyone know of any possible LEGITIMATE reason for why Jimmerson is still playing 2nd fiddle to Byrd, and is actually splitting that role with Brown? Seriously, the stats don't lie, he's our best back. There is no doubt of that. Byrd is steady and reliable, Brown might be shiftier and faster, but Jimmerson is legitimately our best option at RB. I don't think anyone here would refute that after the way he's played over the last few games, especially against ULL.

I'm an outsider obviously. If anyone can think of a legitimate reason for why Jimmerson would still be getting 2nd back treatment at this point, I would be eager to hear it. I just know that we've all seen Byrd get stuffed all year long (YPC under 4 is really, really, really not good), and we've seen Jimmerson be a big play threat while being a steady, reliable back, all year long, yet Byrd keeps getting the nod early and often. I don't get it, and I know I've seen others complain of the same thing.

So, yeah, anyone?

• Upvote 1

Our running game is the least of our problems.

I'm aware. But with Chancellor out, giving the ball to our best offensive weapon 20-25 times per game wouldn't hurt.

They took away the run. They left single coverage on receivers and were effective at it. We hit a few nice ones but mostly it was short/no gains, overthrows, at the feet, or to the wrong receiver. It wouldn't have mattered if Jimmer had 40 carries he would have struggled to get 100 yards.

• Upvote 2

I'm not saying Brock Berglund is going to come in here and lead us to an undefeated season and a BCS bowl next year but I do think it will be a night and day difference with him under center. He's a very hungry player and he cannot wait at all for next season.

As disheartening as this season and these last couple game in particular have looked I think we are a lot closer than people think. Darnell Smith has been a practice warrior and it's starting to show off in the games. Our offensive line is going to be solid next year again and BB is going to have some solid weapons at his disposal. Chancellor, Terrell, Harris, Smith, Jim Jim, Peagram, and hopefully some other players emerge. Teams will not be able to run cover 0 with 8 or 9 in the box against us next year. I also think Berglund's running ability will make a difference for us, a true dual-threat who can actually throw the ball can really throw a wrench in any defensive coordinator's gameplan.

As for our defense, while they have not played well of late they have given up 38 and 37 points the last two games. That's not good but geez, Lord forbid we can't win or at least make it a shootout every once in a while! Also, nearly everyone will be returning next year, including some guys redshirting. I really hope Freddie Warner can come back, that way we can move Zac Whitfield to the nickel where he is more suited. We are a lot closer than it looks on the surface guys. Believe what you want.

• Upvote 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but what I think Stormchaser is getting at is, "why isn't Jimmerson getting a higher percentage of the carries the team runs in general. Not the total runs in the game". Jim Jim just looks like he is at a different level out there. I mean I get that the staff wants Byrd, Brown, and AJ to be fresh at the end of the game but I just think we need the best back in there regardless of how fresh they are. Maybe it's a durability issue but that has puzzled me all year,

• Upvote 2

They took away the run. They left single coverage on receivers and were effective at it. We hit a few nice ones but mostly it was short/no gains, overthrows, at the feet, or to the wrong receiver. It wouldn't have mattered if Jimmer had 40 carries he would have struggled to get 100 yards.

This says it all as far as the qb situation...the longer the season goes on, the more evident we need a QB...I like tompson,tough and great character, should take him a long way in life, but he just isn't the caliber of qb we need to succeed.

Speculatin':

• JimJim is smallish. Splitting carries keeps him healthy.
  • Brandin Byrd/Jeremy Brown bring things to the table (power/quickness respectively)
  • Not as good in pass-protection

Running game is solid though. It was odd that we didn't go deep once. We have thrown it deep to Delgado and Darnell Smith at times. Maybe I just missed it.

Speculatin':

• JimJim is smallish. Splitting carries keeps him healthy.
  • Brandin Byrd/Jeremy Brown bring things to the table (power/quickness respectively)
  • Not as good in pass-protection

Running game is solid though. It was odd that we didn't go deep once. We have thrown it deep to Delgado and Darnell Smith at times. Maybe I just missed it.

I usually agree with you, but not this time at all. Jim Jim is actually the heaviest of our backs so it's hard to call him small at 219. We aren't asking for 35 carries a game, just more like 20. He is short, but not small.

I have seen people say he isn't good in pass pro, but I would say make sure you see it enough first before you say it and don't just say it because that's what other people say (not singling you out on this). He is improving a lot and has good form on his cut blocks, head up and accelerates through the knee well.

Also, as for Byrd being a power back I don't see why people say that. Yes he has good size but he goes down incredibly easy, goes down to too many arm tackles. This is why he has 0 touchdowns against FBS teams. Brown is being used properly but maybe even more of Byrd's carries should go to Jim Jim.

Finally, going deep just isn't playing to DT's strength. The good Lord blessed him with a good noggin but, as far as D-1 qbs are concerned, not much arm strength. With our current personnel we don't pose a threat to get open and complete deep passes. Teams will continue to stack the box.

Edited by BillySee58

I usually agree with you, but not this time at all. Jim Jim is actually the heaviest of our backs so it's hard to call him small at 219. We aren't asking for 35 carries a game, just more like 20. He is short, but not small.

I have seen people say he isn't good in pass pro, but I would say make sure you see it enough first before you say it and don't just say it because that's what other people say (not singling you out on this). He is improving a lot and has good form on his cut blocks, head up and accelerates through the knee well.

Also, as for Byrd being a power back I don't see why people say that. Yes he has good size but he goes down incredibly easy, goes down to too many arm tackles. This is why he has 0 touchdowns against FBS teams. Brown is being used properly but maybe even more of Byrd's carries should go to Jim Jim.

Finally, going deep just isn't playing to DT's strength. The good Lord blessed him with a good noggin but, as far as D-1 qbs are concerned, not much arm strength. With our current personnel we don't pose a threat to get open and complete deep passes. Teams will continue to stack the box.

Dunham quoted Mac during the game and said pass protection is the reason we don't see Jimmerson more

Dunham quoted Mac during the game and said pass protection is the reason we don't see Jimmerson more

Yeah, he does have a ways to go, but I just don't see why he's such a big liability. He's our best pass-catching running back so he would be going out for passes on a lot of the pass downs he's in for, and the other plays that he has to stay in and block could help him improve.

I completely agree with Mac that Jim Jim needs to improve his pass pro, I just think he is a lot closer than Mac is making it sound. He's making the big bucks so his opinion is the one that matters.

• Upvote 1

Like I said, I was speculating.

I' would give him more carries but I don't have all the info like DM does.

I also don't necessarily equate size with strength. Running between the tackles takes more than just raw athletic ability too. We have to account for patience, decisiveness, and running where the coaches want you to run.

More speculation:

Danny Mac doesn't just play guys who have talent and can do amazing things. They have to do the little things right, also. It creates a more disciplined year 3/4 squad that also has tons of talent. It also means that a few guys that *could* be playing aren't.

• Upvote 2

If we are going to have this debate, maybe the question should be why isn't Jeremy Brown getting the bulk of the carries.

He averages 5.8 yrds per carry. He has 319 yards on only 55 carries. He also has the longest run from scrimmage at 48 yards.

Just saying.

My opinion on this is that he is being used effectively. When he got a lot of carries earlier in the year he wasn't very effective, but when we can use him at the right time he is very effective especially in space. Valid argument as it's hard to say he doesn't deserve more carries.

I also don't necessarily equate size with strength. Running between the tackles takes more than just raw athletic ability too. We have to account for patience, decisiveness, and running where the coaches want you to run.

More speculation:

Danny Mac doesn't just play guys who have talent and can do amazing things. They have to do the little things right, also. It creates a more disciplined year 3/4 squad that also has tons of talent. It also means that a few guys that *could* be playing aren't.

This right here is my favorite part about Jim Jim. He is pretty patient and when he picks a whole he uses his shiftiness and lower-body strength to shed defenders. I see Byrd just put his head down and go too much. I agree with the rest of your speculation as I think that may very well be the case in our current situation.

Curious question, and I mean no disrespect as someone who listens to your podcast, but what do you see Byrd do that makes you classify him as a power runner? I feel like a lot of people say this because we run the ball inside a lot when he is in, yet I think he gets stuffed too much on short yardage and goal line sometimes because of penetration but also because he is not strong enough or shifty enough on some plays.

• Upvote 2

More speculation:

This times infinity. If you want to effect change within your team, you have to show that the inmates are not running the asylum. If you want to play, then you will pay attention to the little things which help the team win games, not just the things that help you personally build individual stats. This is why I believe Coach Mac will ultimately be successful and also why he rubs so many of the 'me' generation the wrong way. We didn't get in this mess overnight and we sure won't get out of it overnight.

• Upvote 1

Curious question, and I mean no disrespect as someone who listens to your podcast, but what do you see Byrd do that makes you classify him as a power runner? I feel like a lot of people say this because we run the ball inside a lot when he is in, yet I think he gets stuffed too much on short yardage and goal line sometimes because of penetration but also because he is not strong enough or shifty enough on some plays.

You know? I think it is a euphemism for "he doesn't do anything else really well other than run straight ahead." Gotta think they like his running straight ahead and not trying to dance. Compared to Jeremy Brown, who is really shifty, and Jimmerson, who can shed and dance, Byrd is left with "power guy" as the best description of his skills. You are right though. He isn't particularly strong nor is he amazingly more effective in short yardage.

• Upvote 1