Playcalling is why we suck today

UNTstormchaser

Seriously, this is our biggest issue. The only reason we won last week was because ULaLa's DC must have had his head up his ass.

Want to stop the Mean Green? Stack 8 in the box. Go man coverage. Have one safety stay deep. Watch the TE and RB screen.

Done.

Seriously, I like a power running-based offense. I really do. But you can't CALL THE SAME PLAYS MULTIPLE TIMES PER GAME EVERY GAME. That just will NOT work. Seriously, we run it up the middle almost every first down, and if we don't, we run an end around. I would place good money that we run up the middle 70% of first downs, and then 15% end arounds, 15% everything else, be it any other kind of run and every kind of pass play. This is why it never works. Especially when we keep throwing Byrd out there for it. He's average 3.8 YPC...I like the guy, he isn't a feature back.

So, stack 8 in the box. That stops our run game. Oh, now we need to throw it? Let's run it again anyways. Or, if we don't, let's throw a TE screen in the flat to Power or Miller. Or, have the line blow coverage and pretend it's a jailbreak only to flip it out to the back for a screen. But wait...these plays don't work the week after YOU USE THEM SUCCESSFULLY MULTIPLE TIMES EACH. Seriously, we ran the same screen plays probably about 3-5 times each last game, the TE and JimJim ones.

Finally, have one safety deep for when we decide once out of every 5 plays to throw it 55 yards downfield. Because apparently, our passing playbook only consists of screens, slants, flat routes, and streaks.

Throw in the fact that Thompson sucks at throwing, reading defenses, and just about every other QB trait, and we don't stand a chance.

The defense today is a different story. They've sucked, but that's not a usual issue so I'm not getting into it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Two words

Derek Thompson

Four words.

Bench Thompson

Fire Canales

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

No Chancellor, no Delgado, poor tackling, Miller running a 4 yard pattern when we need 5, and a piss poor effort by our defense. Thompson isn't sharp, but there are many more issues than just him.

A coach that doesn't trust his offense or his quarterback. Terrible receivers, and the best one hurt.

A stubborn refusal to play your best running back until the game is basically over.

A terrible day by the defense.

Next week is going to be painful.

I just hope we actually see another QB play in the second half of what is shaping up to be an epic blowout. Just to get some reps, if nothing else.

And to top it off, our 5 watt "flagship" station loses it's transmitter before the start of the game, costing the 10 listeners that live close enough to get the signal when it is working to listen on line.

Think I'll go sit in the nonexistent expansion zone of the student union and cry in my beer.

Can't wait for Bball season.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

No Chancellor, no Delgado, poor tackling, Miller running a 4 yard pattern when we need 5, and a piss poor effort by our defense. Thompson isn't sharp, but there are many more issues than just him.

I know that these things don't help. And I didn't say Thompson was the only issue. In fact, this topic isn't even about him

This is such stupid topic. Play calling doesn't get us down 24-0 in the first half. Play calling can't over come a defense that didn't show up or a quarterback who can't hit the broadside of a barn.

Are you high? Yes it does. Play calling causes us to go 3 and out when we run it up the middle 3 straight plays. Play calling prevents anyone from having a chance when you call the same plays that MTSU watched on tape 100 times before the game.

You assume Canales is allowed to choose the players who should be on the field.

No, I assume Canales is the playcaller. If he isn't and it's McCarney, then strip Mac of those duties stat and give them to Canales. I don't care about who Canales thinks should be on the field. I care that he calls worse plays than a blind grandmother could.

how about the entire team is sucking, that's why we are sucking...

trying to pin this on any one player is just redonculous

I agree. Hence why I didn't pin it on one player. This is a topic about our awful play calling.

A coach that doesn't trust his offense or his quarterback. Terrible receivers, and the best one hurt.

A stubborn refusal to play your best running back until the game is basically over.

A terrible day by the defense.

Next week is going to be painful.

I just hope we actually see another QB play in the second half of what is shaping up to be an epic blowout. Just to get some reps, if nothing else.

And to top it off, our 5 watt "flagship" station loses it's transmitter before the start of the game, costing the 10 listeners that live close enough to get the signal when it is working to listen on line.

Think I'll go sit in the nonexistent expansion zone of the student union and cry in my beer.

Can't wait for Bball season.

UNT90, I know you and I have had disagreements before. But you and I are 100% on the same page with this one. Every thought you just posted has been in my head as well. Except I'll be crying into my pizza in my dorm room instead of in my beer at the union.

• Upvote 1

Hey guys look at that, that 2nd and 7 we did a play action TE screen to the flat again, AND IT DIDN'T WORK AGAIN.

• Upvote 2

Also, LOL at anyone who thinks Pegram-Terrell-Berglund will just fix everything next year.

Why not? We have an awesome O-Line coming back and quarterback is the most important position on the field, bar none. I'm not expecting him to come in here and save the day but the jump in talent level from DT to Berglund is enormous. Don't underestimate how much things change when you can open up the playbook and be diverse on offense.

how about the entire team is sucking, that's why we are sucking...

trying to pin this on any one player is just redonculous

Right.

I love Mac and the way he sounds as much as the next guy. His interviews have me ready to run through a brick wall for the program. Problem is, on gameday his plans and in-game changes make it seem like he's already seen brick wall and is willing to parallel park and head the other way down the road to avoid it.

Maybe he's been told this by the AD, I have no way of Knowing, but it seems like he is positive he has the leeway of a 5 year turnaround with nothing but lip service being paid to a faster resurrection.

Edited by Green P1

Why not? We have an awesome O-Line coming back and quarterback is the most important position on the field, bar none. I'm not expecting him to come in here and save the day but the jump in talent level from DT to Berglund is enormous. Don't underestimate how much things change when you can open up the playbook and be diverse on offense.

If every game we can convince the defense that our opponent is KState, I have to agree with that. Four T/O's to zero didn't exactly help, but the bottom line is that our defense really stunk it up today.

If DT isn't the answer then give Osborne a shot and let him play. This thing isn't just being built for the future of the program but we also have to keep in mind that we're trying to recruit guys this year to come to North Texas. These losses don't help. I understand a program is trying to get rebuilt here but I feel many other programs can have and much quicker turnarounds with bigger wins than we can for some reason. There's always an excuse of why we aren't getting it done. I'll still keep on supporting this team as always but there should be some change if things aren't going right in season.

• Upvote 1

If DT isn't the answer then give Osborne a shot and let him play. This thing isn't just being built for the future of the program but we also have to keep in mind that we're trying to recruit guys this year to come to North Texas. These losses don't help. I understand a program is trying to get rebuilt here but I feel many other programs can have and much quicker turnarounds with bigger wins than we can for some reason. There's always an excuse of why we aren't getting it done. I'll still keep on supporting this team as always but there should be some change if things aren't going right in season.

How do we know DT isn't the answer? I think we have a pretty good picture of who Mac thinks is the future. The mere fact that DT was in there the whole game says a lot.

Also, you are down 17-0 and nothing has gone right on the road, so you go for a pass into the endzone on 4th and 3 instead getting some points when you haven't even made it to the half? Still scratching my head on that decision.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Also, you are down 17-0 and nothing has gone right on the road, so you go for a pass into the endzone on 4th and 3 instead getting some points when you haven't even made it to the half? Still scratching my head on that decision.

Call me krazy , but that 1 play was the whole game.

2 downs to get 3 yards and Jimmerson doesn't touch it

Instead we throw a fade route to a 5'8 WR with 1 career reception in the endzone who was triple covered

• Upvote 2

How do we know DT isn't the answer? I think we have a pretty good picture of who Mac thinks is the future. The mere fact that DT was in there the whole game says a lot.

I think it is quite obvious he was not having success today. Why stick with someone who is not getting the job done? Playing your backup could not have been any worse. Let DT have rest of the game off and start fresh next practice.

• Upvote 2

Maybe he's been told this by the AD, I have no way of Knowing, but it seems like he is positive he has the leeway of a 5 year turnaround with nothing but lip service being paid to a faster resurrection.

This. 1000 times this.

Winning will get harder moving to CUSA next year. Not hopeful.

• Upvote 3

why because he light it up in high school a couple of years ago and then could not make the cut at a D1-A school or a JuCo?

I am not saying he might not be better I am just questioning the idea that you have a clue how good he is compared to anyone

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is such stupid topic. Play calling doesn't get us down 24-0 in the first half. Play calling can't over come a defense that didn't show up or a quarterback who can't hit the broadside of a barn.

Actually play calling does contribute to the other team scoring by putting the ball in their hands every three plays. Our D couldn't stop this team's O on our best day, but the O has to keep the ball outta their hands more often and for longer periods of time. And, even Mack Brown can make a change at QB due to ineffectiveness of the starter, why can't we?

• Upvote 1

why because he light it up in high school a couple of years ago and then could not make the cut at a D1-A school or a JuCo?

I am not saying he might not be better I am just questioning the idea that you have a clue how good he is compared to anyone

What, you links to include in your post? Look at how they were ranked coming out of high school. That should provide an indication. True, they still have to prove it at the collegiate level, but this and who was recruiting each of them should provide some insight.

• Upvote 1