Men's Hoops Jerseys?

biggiejerseys

You can get a #14 from the Student Book Store. In white only. This is Tristan Thompson's jersey.

Yes, I realize that he hasn't played here in over 2 years, but when I asked the book store directly about a #13 jersey, I was told that they don't order jerseys because they don't sell.

And got a blank look when I expressed disbelief that they wouldn't order the jersey of a future NBA draft pick. And no, this wasn't from a clerk.

Good luck in your journey. This is one of the worst things we do as a marketing function.

• Upvote 2

At the Basketball Madness event last Monday they said they were ordering #13 jerseys for all the excitement around Tony. Anyone on here confirm that?

Good news, if true.

Who was the "they" that made this statement? I was told the sane thing last year, only to be severly disappointed when the "13" T-Shirts ended up being the "jerseys" I was told about.

Edited by UNT90

I've been trying to buy a green jersey since Christmas 2008.

Didn't want a black one... Though those seem to have run out about a year or so ago. Didn't want a white one, but finally caved and bought one of those last lingering white Tristan jerseys because they were on clearance and I had a gift card.

They can't sell if none of them exist to be bought. I guess we won't replenish until every last damn white Tristan jersey is sold out. After 3 and a half years of waiting for what I really want, I finally gave up and did my part to get us there.

Didn't want a black one... Though those seem to have run out about a year or so ago. Didn't want a white one, but finally caved and bought one of those last lingering white Tristan jerseys because they were on clearance and I had a gift card.

They can't sell if none of them exist to be bought. I guess we won't replenish until every last damn white Tristan jersey is sold out. After 3 and a half years of waiting for what I really want, I finally gave up and did my part to get us there.

Thank you for your service to this great nation.

• Upvote 2

I am calling the book store everyday and asking to speak with the purchasing manager and asking nicely why in the H there isn't one #13 jersey around. Your welcome to join in. It'll keep me from having to change my voice every day. Don't think he bought my Michelle voice...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

I'm not gonna sugar coat it...this is ridiculous. The fact that I can't get an authentic jersey for any of our sport teams is just plain sad. I don't understand it and never will. Our AD dept has done so much to improve our program, yet this is just embarrassing.

Yes, it is. And it needs to be fixed.

I walked into a Sports apparel store on Granbury square (the most out of place sports apparel store EVER). I was wearing a UNT T-Shirt and expected to see none of our gear there. I was immediately engaged by the owner (Yes, that is the way Granbury rolls; No, I did not say one thing to initiate the convo) who acknowledges my UNT T shirt and points to a UNT clock that he has on the wall. He also tells me he has a couple of other items, but "I can't get anything else. I've tried, but there is just nothing out there for sale." He went on to say something about only being able to buy UNT stuff that is made in the USA. Didn't quite understand that. The only other items were a golf towel and some stupid stickers.

He had every other local college's stuff in there. Hell, he had more Tarleton St. stuff than he did UNT stuff. And to be perfectly clear, these were unsolicited comments by the owner of the business.

It is sad when merchandisers can't orfer your stuff to sell. It is sad when you have a top 5 NBA lottery pick in your program and you can't be bothered to have ONE DAMN THING with his number on it in your book store 3 WEEKS BEFORE HIS SECOND FREAKING SEASON OF PLAY!!! Frankly, it's insulting to Tony Mitchell. Of course, we should also have Chris Jones and Jordan Williams jerseys for sale, but that is simply a pipe dream.

Unforgivable and extremely SMALL TIME.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Yes, it is. And it needs to be fixed.

I walked into a Sports apparel store on Granbury square (the most out of place sports apparel store EVER). I was wearing a UNT T-Shirt and expected to see none of our gear there. I was immediately engaged by the owner (Yes, that is the way Granbury rolls; No, I did not say one thing to initiate the convo) who acknowledges my UNT T shirt and points to a UNT clock that he has on the wall. He also tells me he has a couple of other items, but "I can't get anything else. I've tried, but there is just nothing out there for sale." He went on to say something about only being able to buy UNT stuff that is made in the USA. Didn't quite understand that. The only other items were a golf towel and some stupid stickers.

He had every other local college's stuff in there. Hell, he had more Tarleton St. stuff than he did UNT stuff. And to be perfectly clear, these were unsolicited comments by the owner of the business.

It is sad when merchandisers can't orfer your stuff to sell. It is sad when you have a top 5 NBA lottery pick in your program and you can't be bothered to have ONE DAMN THING with his number on it in your book store 3 WEEKS BEFORE HIS SECOND FREAKING SEASON OF PLAY!!! Frankly, it's insulting to Tony Mitchell. Of course, we should also have Chris Jones and Jordan Williams jerseys for sale, but that is simply a pipe dream.

Unforgivable and extremely SMALL TIME.

It's pretty sad, but its been this way for YEARS and doubt it changes anytime soon. I went into Voertmans at the start of the football season and was astonished at how poor the selection was. I pretty much just go to Fan Fanatics these days.

Most of the time this is some sort of licensing issue and tiered set for the individual license per product is probably set too high.

I would be willing to bet that the cost structure is set for a market like TCU or Baylor that can sell "X" number of units on average instead of the needed structure for a introductory UNT item that will only sell 1/10 "X". If you cant make your money back, no one will buy the license.

I just don't believe they'll only sell 1/10th of "X"

I (and I'm sure others) have had several conversations with different stores around DFW regarding UNT apparel. Rally House for example. The guy at Rally House told me what I hear from others.....His quote: "We get asked ALL THE TIME about UNT gear, we just can't get any."

For a progam in the mode of growth that we are in, I can't wrap my head around our licensing issues and refusal to be a part of the DFW apparrel marketing scene.

I (and I'm sure others) have had several conversations with different stores around DFW regarding UNT apparel. Rally House for example. The guy at Rally House told me what I hear from others.....His quote: "We get asked ALL THE TIME about UNT gear, we just can't get any."

I wouldn't read too much into what they tell you. That being said, it would be nice if they're right.

I just don't believe they'll only sell 1/10th of "X"

For a progam in the mode of growth that we are in, I can't wrap my head around our licensing issues and refusal to be a part of the DFW apparrel marketing scene.

You know, it would be great if an employee of the A.D. (I dunno, maybe a Sports Information Director) would clear this up for us. I wonder if any of those guys have accounts on GMG.com and maybe read the board from time to time?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I completely agree..

The only reason I know this is a common issue is that I have had this discussion in the past with representatives from a different school.

Very simply most of this is ran through a licensing company that UNT contracts out, so it is not like this is something that falls at the feet of the AD directly anyways.

This is the UNT price list for official apparel licensing

http://www.clc.com/c...en&ucode=NOTEXA

Surprisingly, there is not a huge disconnect on the royalty % of UNT and the other comparable schools and the only real question I have is the distinction between what is in which category for upfront costs..

So it might look like the issue is not on UNT's side, which I first suspected but instead from the vendor side. That means that no vendor is producing official gear, not that UNT is keeping it off the shelfs

That list doesn't reflect all the true costs of licensing with CLC. For example, in order to join in a licensing agreement with them, you have to prove that you hold a very large (million dollar?) liability insurance package. That and other business costs means either 1) the big manufactures have to be convinced that their opportunity costs will be recovered or 2) a small manufacture has to be absolutely sure their is enough interest to recover their investment.

That list doesn't reflect all the true costs of licensing with CLC. For example, in order to join in a licensing agreement with them, you have to prove that you hold a very large (million dollar?) liability insurance package. That and other business costs means either 1) the big manufactures have to be convinced that their opportunity costs will be recovered or 2) a small manufacture has to be absolutely sure their is enough interest to recover their investment.

Well then, a client (see: University Book Store) could contact the small manufacture and agree to purchase whatever amount that would allow for a production run, therefore ensuring the manufacturer with the profit needed, correct? Maybe the University store could even partner with Voertmams and Rally House so they don't have to take on the full run of uniforms.

But make no mistake, even if Voertmams and Rally House want no part of it, the University Store should purchase the entire order.

Tony will most likely be gone after this season. It would be HIGHLY beneficial to keep him connected to this university, in so many ways. Wouldn't it be nice to see students on campus wearing his number, fans in the put wearing his jersey, his family being able to purchase ONE FREAKING ITEM with his number on it at a basketball game? I know, I know, having items in the bookstore doesnt guarantee that they are purchased, but not having ANYTHING for sale is a Guarantee that nothing will be sold or worn.

Why is it so easy to envision the day when Tony sends out his twitter props to UT as they prepare to play UNT...

Well then, a client (see: University Book Store) could contact the small manufacture and agree to purchase whatever amount that would allow for a production run, therefore ensuring the manufacturer with the profit needed, correct? Maybe the University store could even partner with Voertmams and Rally House so they don't have to take on the full run of uniforms.

But make no mistake, even if Voertmams and Rally House want no part of it, the University Store should purchase the entire order.

Tony will most likely be gone after this season. It would be HIGHLY beneficial to keep him connected to this university, in so many ways. Wouldn't it be nice to see students on campus wearing his number, fans in the put wearing his jersey, his family being able to purchase ONE FREAKING ITEM with his number on it at a basketball game? I know, I know, having items in the bookstore doesnt guarantee that they are purchased, but not having ANYTHING for sale is a Guarantee that nothing will be sold or worn.

Why is it so easy to envision the day when Tony sends out his twitter props to UT as they prepare to play UNT...

I didn't really wander over there during the tip-off because I already have one, but are they even still selling the Mitchell t-shirt jerseys?

Why doesn't someone ask the AD directly instead of trying to get answers on a message board? The guy was at the Coach Mac Show just last evening. He is at times at these radio shows when he can be...show up and maybe you can ask him directly. From my experience in talking with him, I get pretty straight forward answers. Not always the answer I am looking for, but a pretty honest straight forward answer. Not being "testy" here at all, but I've head all this about jerseys for some time. We all know it was a "Nike thing" the first year we switched, but maybe something can be done now. Seems to me that several folks would purchase...but, we darn sure better have more than "several" purchase if this thing gets done....Me...not a fan of the jersey wearing stuff (on me)...I like t-shirts and polo's and oxford shirts better, but would love to see plenty of others wearing the jerseys. So, buck up and ask the AD in person. He is definitely not hard to find if you attend any UNT athletic events at all. Like I said, my experience in working with him and talking with him has been excellent. Just don't expect that you will always get the answer that you are wanting...might be different because of things you really don't know about. But, at least you would have your answer. I'm thinking the guy is fully aware of this issue, is and has been working on it, but that there are just some things that are more challenging than we would all want to believe. Maybe even because of some agreement signed years ago that just isn't working in today's world...maybe still a Nike thing...maybe a licensing thing...who the heck knows on this board...probably no one. I am also guessing the AD would love to see these jerseys being bought and being worn. So, he's probably on the same side of this question as we are...ball's in your court...go talk to the man.

• Downvote 2

I believe it has a lot to do with Nike. It looks like we purchase all of our Nike uniforms and merchandise like a high school team would, from a catalog. The Nike team catalogs can be found here: http://niketeam.nike.com/us/en_US/?l=shop,download_catalog

In other words, Nike isn't making anything FOR us like they do for larger schools like UT and OU. We are ordering FROM them. Go to a store and compare the Nike UT and OU items to the Nike UNT items. There are differences in the way the logos are applied and the tagging among other things. We just order the blank merchandise and have our logo put on. Hence the difference in the logo between the coaches polo you can buy at the bookstore and the one you can get at Voertmans. Because we are just picking out a design from a catalog like any other team at any level can do, I don't think Nike jerseys for us to buy would even be available. This is also why Marshall can have the same uniforms as us. I think it would take the bookstore or somebody else with the license to buy the jerseys like the team would, but the price point would probably be too high for most.

That doesn't explain why there aren't cheap replicas like in the past, but if I'm going to buy a jersey, I'll buy a Nike jersey or no jersey at all.