Our offensive output tonight was impressive

H-towngreen

Problem is not play calling or play design. PROBLEM is no QB and defenses don't have to fear the pass at ALL!!!!!THOMPSON can't hit anything more then 5 yards down the field and everyone in the stadium knows it!!!!

So here is my question - do we not have a QB on the roster who can pass? If DT isn't getting it done, surely we have backups.

• Upvote 2

Open your eyes, this isn't a Canales offense. He's got 3 guys in his ear telling him to run. Because of this, our offense is predictable. And stop blaming Thompson. On the pick, Delgado was supposed to run a slant, and ran the wrong route(he gets a little blame for that, but not 100%). Thompson threw 2 perfect deep balls today, but as soon as we get a lead, it's right back to running the ball and being predictable. Thompson has been bad at times this year, but today was not one of those days. Mac needs to take the cuffs off Chico, and let him work. Until that happens, this is the offense you're gonna see every week. /rant

Go Mean Green!

Yes. He is handcuffed and doesn't deserve the blame he's getting. Too many chefs in the kitchen and easy to see this isn't a true Canales offense if you look at other stops in his career and his previous time at UNT.

• Upvote 1

I sometimes wonder if we are all watching the same game. Thompson didn't have a great game, but he certainly was not the major problem with the offense. I guess you blame the QB no matter what, I still remember some complaining about Meager after SMU beat NT, he only throw for over 600 yards. Thompson to Chancellor pass was a thing of beauty. Others not as good but some of you overlook the fact that despite FAU focus of stopping the run, there was not that many open receivers.

I am not sure Dickey was as conservative as McCarney. Note I said McCarney not Canales. Again, McCarney calls the shots not Canales. FAU was crowding the line of scrimmage just like Troy and probably everyone else if NT doesn't figure out how to play against it. NT's answer seems to be play at least 2 tes and try to run no matter how many are in the box or throw a short pass that is also covered up. Other than middle screens does NT ever pass in the middle of the field?

Great game by special teams for the most part, other than the punter had an off game. I wonder if his job will be up for crabs this week. The defense obviously won the game for NT who had the worst offensive performance of the year.

It was a win and although I was disappointing in the offense. Listening to the players celebrate after the game reminded me that this team just needs some success and this certainly counts.

-7 is all I could get on the Canales comment? I kid. I like Canales, and I think he's a good oc, but I really think something is off. Judging play calling is easy if it's not productive. I feel like hes not getting to run thr offense the way he wants to. In all honesty, I have heard from people in the know that Canales is out after this season and a bigger name coordinator is coming in. I don't want to spread rumors when I don't have first hand knowledge, so I won't name names on who that person will be. Not even sure if I truly believe it, but it's not completely off base so. Just something to keep in mind.

• Downvote 1

I think the one statistic that bothers me most is 30% so far this season on 3rd down conversions. Regarding our offensive output....If I am a def coord., I put 8 men in the box on first and 2nd down and dare us to throw. When we put our running game output in gear along with a passing game like last night...this offense could score some big points. We just have to get both "games" at the same game for the rest of the season.

On the other hand, we did fight hard for a win on the road. I am beginning to think that the SB is a tougher conference than what everyone gave it credit for. Parody in college football is rampant. Look at the wins that so called mid majors are getting or taking big programs to the "edge" every week. PARODY...anyone can beat anyone on any given Saturday.

Very proud of Olen....kid showed tremendous character tonight.

Isn't it nice to read all the complaints about a WIN instead of a loss? In the last few years this would have been an ugly loss. I'll take "ugly win" over ugly loss anytime.

Heck, I'll take "ugly win" over a great game loss.....check out the UT vs OSU game last night if you want a clue how much better it is to "win ugly" than lose pretty if you are an OSU fan. Those folks feel a ton worse than MeanGreen fans do this morning.

Agree with many of the comments here regarding the offense, but I will take that WIN and be happy with it....way too many loses in the last few years in games UNT SHOULD have won..should have won this we...did....next.....

I think the one statistic that bothers me most is 30% so far this season on 3rd down conversions. Regarding our offensive output....If I am a def coord., I put 8 men in the box on first and 2nd down and dare us to throw. When we put our running game output in gear along with a passing game like last night...this offense could score some big points. We just have to get both "games" at the same game for the rest of the season.

On the other hand, we did fight hard for a win on the road. I am beginning to think that the SB is a tougher conference than what everyone gave it credit for. Parody in college football is rampant. Look at the wins that so called mid majors are getting or taking big programs to the "edge" every week. PARODY...anyone can beat anyone on any given Saturday.

Very proud of Olen....kid showed tremendous character tonight.

Troy had 9 in the box on just about every 1st down play and most second down plays.

If we continue to beat our heads against a brick wall (literally) on 1st downs, we are headed for 3-9.