OUT COACHED

meangreenbob

The special team coach and the offensive coordinator are getting a lot of unnecessary criticism. Yes, those areas need a lot of work but Canales does not have total control of the offense, just compare when he was HC compared to McCarney. McCarney is the head coach and he calls the shots. I am sure with input, but the run first offense is McCarney not Canales.

The special teams coach doesn't have a separate practice nor does he have a lot of control over anything. Does anyone think the special team coach was for going for it our fourth and long? The field goals were just missed, they were not blocked or even rushed. Special team play is a function of the obvious: talent, preparation time, and schemes.

As far as Chancellor on punt returns, he has never been anything special. In fact, usually the opposite. He shines on ko returns and the new rules have pretty much eliminated that. He does have good hands and that may be why he is returning punts.

My guess and that is all it is, is that McCarney makes most of the decisions. He may not call the plays but he controls the game plan and the practices. Some hc's really let their coordinators run the offense and defense, my guess is that McCarney is not one of them.

The special team coach and the offensive coordinator are getting a lot of unnecessary criticism.

The special teams coach doesn't have a separate practice nor does he have a lot of control over anything. Does anyone think the special team coach was for going for it our fourth and long? The field goals were just missed, they were not blocked or even rushed. Special team play is a function of the obvious: talent, preparation time, and schemes.

Can't every ST coach in the country use that same arguement?

Sorry, but I totally disagree. We have failed at every aspect of ST this year. Kick return for TD, punt return for TD , kicks blocked , missed kicks , onside kicks , penalties , missed tackles , 0 return yards , etc

Riddle deserves any & all the critism he gets IMO

• Upvote 2

Standing in an airport in CA on Thursday with my North Texas shirt in, a young man approaches me and asks, "Are you a coach on McCarney's staff?" I tell him no, that I am a proud alum and a lifelong fan. He thought I might be a coach because I was wearing slacks with the shirt, typical wear for a recruiting trip. He goes on to tell me that he played for coach Mac at ISU and had thought about driving to KSU for last week's game from Omaha, where he now lives. Said he loved playing for Coach Mac and that we were now his second favorite team. Fans, players and alums from ISU have all stated this.

Quit overreacting over a poorly played game. This team, program and university is going through a major culture change facilitated by Coach Mac and it has to learn how to balance out the little successes it has against KSU and not get too full of itself. We are learning. Should we have beaten Troy? Of course, but part of the learning process is to not play down to your competition. We got away with it against TSU, but it bit us in the ass against Troy. We will be fine. We have the best coaching staff we have had in decades and they know what they are doing, even Riddle.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Standing in an airport in CA on Thursday with my Nortg Texas shirt in, a young man approaches me and asks, "Are you a coach on McCarney's staff?" I tell him no, that I am a proud alum and a lifelong fan. He thought I might be a coach because I was wearing slacks with the shirt, typical wear for a recruiting trip. He goes on to tell me that he played for coach Mac at ISU and had thought about driving to KSU for last week's game from Omaha, where he now lives. Said he loved playing for Coach Mac and that we were now his aecond favorite team. Fans, players and alums from ISU have all stated this.

Quit overreacting over a poorly played game. This team, program and university is going through a major culture change facilitated by Coach Mac and it has to learn how to balance out the little successes it has against KSU and not get too full of itself. We are learning. Should we have beaten Troy? Of course, but part of the learning process is to not play down to your competition. We got away with it against TSU, but it bit us in the ass against Troy. We will be fine. We have the best coaching staff we have had in decades and they know what they are doing, even Riddle.

Spot on. Well...maybe not Riddle, but everything else.

• Upvote 1

There were AT LEAST 15 points left on the field last night. 3 missed FG's and 2 extremely stupid 4th & long red-zone plays that should have also been FG's.

Anyone saying Chico is to blame for poor playcalling is showing some football ignorance, or is selectively forgetting the diversity in his playcalling. You can't blame him when the players don't execute the plays that are called. Of course it looks like we're running the ball all the time. When DT threw, it was often incomplete.

Guess what? When your QB cant hit his passes consistently, you won't see plays called for him to throw the ball very often. When our guys don't line up properly, or the correct personnel is not on the field after a time out, who's fault is that? The coach makes the call, the players get on the field, line up correctly, and execute the play.

That trick-play throwback to Thompson was horrible. It was set up nicely. Perfect time to call it, but it was executed terribly.

Hard to believe the enigma that is Thompson. Great game at KS St. Some very nice throws on Sat. Some very terrible throws on Sat. I'm so tired of watching him throw a fit towards his WR when his ball is so overthrown it's bouncing off the facade of the stands.

McCarney deserves some criticism for the way he handled the kicking game. If Olen makes the 3rd kick, maybe he also makes the 4th and 5th kicks that should have been made when we stalled in the red zone twice in the 2nd half. 16-14, Mean Green win. Instead, I'm fairly certain that both kickers were not even ON THE FIELD in the second half.

I wonder who's decision it was for Chancellor to fair catch every punt? If Chancellor fair-caught because he was tepid every time, that needs to be addressed coach-to-player. If he was told to fair-catch every time no matter what, that needs to be addressed coach-to-coach.

Can we please identify the best kicker in the state of Texas and offer him 2 scholarships?

That onside kick to open the 2nd half was all on Riddle. Our guys looked totally unprepared for that.

It was a bad game period, and like so many times before it came at the time that NT was showing some life. The problem was that NT's offense looked worse than they have all year considering the competition.

Doesn't mean the year is down the drain or that the team is not progressing. Thompson has been hot and ice cold this year with nothing in the middle. Troy is a middle of the Belt kind of team and although this particular game could have went either way, it ended up very bad for NT.

The positives were overall the defense looked good and the team played very hard. Troy played to stop the run but with Thompson being way off and apparently only able to see one receiver, Delgado; the offense although moving the ball could not score. I though physically NT was bigger and stronger which hasn't been the case in prior years, obviously though NT just doesn't have a lot of team speed.

Back to the topic, there is no doubt that McCarney and crew were out coached. Bad timing but after the KSU game, I can certainly understand that they though that they should be able to use the same ball control approach against Troy. They couldn't consistently run the ball, there seems to be always a bad play in every 4 down series were they were stopped for little gain or a loss.

Standing in an airport in CA on Thursday with my Nortg Texas shirt in, a young man approaches me and asks, "Are you a coach on McCarney's staff?" I tell him no, that I am a proud alum and a lifelong fan. He thought I might be a coach because I was wearing slacks with the shirt, typical wear for a recruiting trip. He goes on to tell me that he played for coach Mac at ISU and had thought about driving to KSU for last week's game from Omaha, where he now lives. Said he loved playing for Coach Mac and that we were now his aecond favorite team. Fans, players and alums from ISU have all stated this.

"we will be fine"....really...with play offensive play on par with a div II school...UNT is likely to get their asses kicked by Monroe and WKU and ...?