I35 Bridge Update (Photos)

DeepGreen

Keeping all fingers and toes crossed that it is ready for the first home game. I have heard conflicting views of that possibility for several months now and some quite recently from several different people, but no one has said that there is "no way" the bridge will be complete in time...each and every one said they get "conflicting" reports based on certain construction issues...all of which UNT has absolutely ZERO control over...so, still keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

One way or the other...it will open and it will open this season. So, all good. Hopefully the opening will be cause for great celebration...and increased attendance as one less excuse for not attending will be washed away. Excellent.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hate to be a stickler........................BUT can we please get one, unified, consistent mascot logo thingy. I LOVE that eagle head. If you are trying to build a brand you don't have rival logos. just saying. The bridge looks super awesome, and i cant wait for it to be done!! It is a true sign that you are entering "Eagle country"/ "The Mean Green Nation". Pick one.

Edited by Grant.UNT
  • Upvote 1

I hat to be a stickler........................BUT can we please get one, unified, consistent mascot logo thingy. I LOVE that eagle head. If you are trying to build a brand you don't have rival logos. just saying. The bridge looks super awesome, and i cant wait for it to be done!! It is a true sign that you are entering "Eagle country"/ "The Mean Green Nation". Pick one.

Though I like SOW and hope it remains forever to represent North Texas, we should probably make sure it sticks for at least a decade before we immortalize it in concreate. Until then, I'll take the artist's eagle over a blank wall. I love the idea of text on the bridge itself.

• Upvote 2

Though I like SOW and hope it remains forever to represent North Texas, we should probably make sure it sticks for at least a decade before we immortalize it in concreate. Until then, I'll take the artist's eagle over a blank wall. I love the idea of text on the bridge itself.

I agree about the artist's eagle on the bridge. Remember, I haven't been around long enough to know the logo life cycle. However, we do need to find something and stick to it for branding purposes. I think the SOW is here to stay.

Edited by Grant.UNT
  • Upvote 1

I agree about the artist's eagle on the bridge. Remember, I haven't been around long enough to know the logo life cycle. However, we do need to find something and stick to it for branding purposes. I think the SOW is here to stay.

We need a documented history of logos similar to the Helmet Project's history of helmets. Maybe I'll take that as a research project.

• Upvote 2

Stupid question, but I've never been able to figure this out. I know what the SOW is, but what the freak does SOW stand for?

Son of Worm. This is a tie to the Flying Worm, which is what people called the eagle logo from the 70's, which looked like a worm with wings.

Son.Of.Worm.

I.e., this

northtexas-logo.png

is the descendant of, bearing similar characteristics to the classic North Texas stylized eagle, lovingly known as "The Flying Worm."

idukr9.jpg

Thanks guys, I'm glad I asked. I would have never figured that out lol.

Took this on my morning ride today. I hadn't been around back of the walkway and was kinda impressed with how large the facade looked from the Alumni Pavilion. The trip doubled as a shakedown ride for my newly completed beach cruiser to roadbike build, and a covert spy operation for today's scrimmage. Sadly my front tire was punctured by a broken beer bottle on the hill about 5 minutes after this taking this...

photo-71.jpg

• Upvote 4

that's why i ride with beer cans...so when i drop one, i don't break the glass and puncture a tire...should have had cans for rehydration!

thanks for the pic...the bridge does look big!

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 1

Took this on my morning ride today. I hadn't been around back of the walkway and was kinda impressed with how large the facade looked from the Alumni Pavilion. The trip doubled as a shakedown ride for my newly completed beach cruiser to roadbike build, and a covert spy operation for today's scrimmage. Sadly my front tire was punctured by a broken beer bottle on the hill about 5 minutes after this taking this...

why isn't your bike green? :P

Thanks for the pic.

• Upvote 1

Great looking "ride" GreenP1...well done! Are you going to ride it to the Kick-off Cookout this afternoon? Would love to see that mean machine "up close and personal".

If its not raining... yes. That bike's already torn back down to be re-torqued and greased, but I plan on riding the Tailgating Rig up there if its dry.

photo-49-1.jpg?t=1345323884

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 2