Post spring football series Part 10 — UNT Coaching

Harry

In a surprising twist, the timing has worked out perfectly when it comes to our post-spring football series. The final part — coaching — is today. Monday is Sun Belt media day.

One can argue back and forth about where the impact of coaching is most evident on the college level. I have always been of the opinion that college football is not really an Xs and Os game. It’s a Jimmmys and Joes game.

The coaches who succeed are not always the ones whose strengths are game plans, calling a game or making the perfect adjustment. More often than not, the coaches who win are the guys who get the talent to campus, can keep the top players on the field and have them playing well together.

In that sense, UNT went from the outhouse to the penthouse last season.

Dan McCarney came in and totally revived the program. The players gradually bought in and played hard until the end of the season, even when they didn’t have anything to play for against Middle Tennessee.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/07/post-spring-football-series-part-10-coaching.html/

I agree 110%. I know the coaches are salesmen, but this staff is "different". After Connor signed, he kept in touch with Coach Simmonds every week and usually talked to Coach Mac once every 3 - 4 weeks. After Connors visit, he was sold. He other offers including a last minute offer from SMU, but he was sold on UNT, Coach Simmonds and Coach Mac....he drank the GREEN KOOLAID. I am no expert in college football...but I did play and coached for a couple of years in small college...I told Connor he will leave UNT with at least 2 rings; whether it be bowl or conf championship,,,he will get more than one ring.

Edited by trussbussdad
  • Upvote 3

I think coaching is a larger part of success in a conference like the Sun Belt. Look what Mac was able to do in his first season, with few new players on the roster. I think solid coaching was a huge part of our turn around. At a higher level of college football I do believe it becomes more about the talent on the field. Once UNT moves to C-USA , it will become more about talent. Mac Brown has been a great recruiter, but I have always questioned his coaching, and the Horns have been quite successful.

I agree 110%. I know the coaches are salesmen, but this staff is "different". After Connor signed, he kept in touch with Coach Simmonds every week and usually talked to Coach Mac once every 3 - 4 weeks. After Connors visit, he was sold. He other offers including a last minute offer from SMU, but he was sold on UNT, Coach Simmonds and Coach Mac....he drank the GREEN KOOLAID. I am no expert in college football...but I did play and coached for a couple of years in small college...I told Connor he will leave UNT with at least 2 rings; whether it be bowl or conf championship,,,he will get more than one ring.

From the article...

"McCarney is a master psychologist. He had UNT playing out of its mind at times",

Hmmmm, this all sounds vaguely familiar. I seem to recall a former coach here who could recruit players away from SWC schools as well as get his players to "play out of their minds".

AND I seem to recall getting less than respectful responses from some of you on this board (cough,Emmitt,cough) when I brought his name up and said that we need ANOTHER COACH JUST LIKE HIM!

AND for that matter, we need athletic department staff (starting with promotions) who are just like him. Dan McCarney can not do this all by himself.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1