Zac Orr & The Redskins Helmet-Really?

DeepGreen

People keep saying that, but my observation is that the inane threads are just as numerous (if not more-so) during the season. It's just that the season distracts us from them....or allows us the luxury of ignoring them.

However, since he is a current player, it would have been a better photo if the sleeveless shirt he was wearing had at least a SOW on the front. Surely the athletic department could have provided him with one.

Pretty bad when one of UNT's best players can't honor his father along with his school in an ad without a headline WTF thread & second guessing on this board.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Pretty bad when one of UNT's best players can't honor his father along with his school in an ad without a headline WTF thread & second guessing on this board.

Well, I think it's pretty bad when a player on scholarship can't wear something that honors his choice of Universities....at the same time that he is honoring his father. The last time I checked, you can do two things at once with an ad. And that big bare chest of a North Texas player on scholarship, in a North Texas publication, really screams "LOST OPPORTUNITY TO PROMOTE OUR SCHOOL".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well, I think it's pretty bad when a player on scholarship can't wear something that honors his choice of Universities....at the same time that he is honoring his father. The last time I checked, you can do two things at once with an ad. And that big bare chest of a North Texas player on scholarship, in a North Texas publication, really screams "LOST OPPORTUNITY TO PROMOTE OUR SCHOOL".

Bitch & moan is alive and well.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You realize the publication is "The North Texan", right? It is intended for alumni of North Texas: People who are already connected (granted there are certainly varying degrees of connection) to the University. So I'm wondering who is missing out here?

The North Texan's mission statement, directly from their website: "The North Texan connects UNT alumni and friends to the university and keeps you updated on what’s happening on campus and within our community."

This magazine's audience is UNT alumni. So a football player in the magazine should be assumed to be a North Texas football player (past or present). If this is a lost opportunity to promote our school, considering the audience whom this magazine is targeting, then your ideas of promoting the school are a little out of whack.

I would be ever-so-slightly inclined to agree with you if this was a photo to a story run in Dave Campbell's magazine or something like that, simply because the audience is different.

• Upvote 6

You realize the publication is "The North Texan", right? It is intended for alumni of North Texas: People who are already connected (granted there are certainly varying degrees of connection) to the University. So I'm wondering who is missing out here?

The North Texan's mission statement, directly from their website: "The North Texanconnects UNT alumni and friends to the university and keeps you updated on what’s happening on campus and within our community."

This magazine's audience is UNT alumni. So a football player in the magazine should be assumed to be a North Texas football player (past or present). If this is a lost opportunity to promote our school, considering the audience whom this magazine is targeting, then your ideas of promoting the school are a little out of whack.

I would be ever-so-slightly inclined to agree with you if this was a photo to a story run in Dave Campbell's magazine or something like that, simply because the audience is different.

You know, one of the more annoying aspects of our University's sad history of apathy (which BTW sounds uncomfortably close to the name of our new and wonderful stadium) is that our University has not only failed to "wave the flag" with the general public, but they also have failed to "wave the flag" with alumni and students. Regardless of the target audience, the fact that there is a full page ad, with a North Texas scholarship player featured, and he is not WEARING ANY NORTH TEXAS GEAR, (to me) just shouts out about the long standing indifference that our school has about not "waving the flag".

"I would be ever-so-slightly inclined to agree with you if this was a photo to a story run in Dave Campbell's magazine or something like that, simply because the audience is different."

Ever so slightly? Really?

Boy! are you ever making my point.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Downvote 1

Harry, you need to take all of us out for a beer(s) when this tread gets past page 12. Why -it will probably be the 4th & we will need something to celebrate!

FYI

O, when does the redskins come to Texas to play the cowboys? I want tickets.

Edited by Mo Green

Wow. So many more important things to debate in this messed up world no? I mean seriously, when will we finally get the answer as to which weight is heavier? Rubber or metal? More billboards? When will they get that damned middle windmill fixed? Focus people. We've got the whole world to change.

Wow. So many more important things to debate in this messed up world no? I mean seriously, when will we finally get the answer as to which weight is heavier? Rubber or metal? More billboards? When will they get that damned middle windmill fixed? Focus people. We've got the whole world to change.

While I agree with you in principle, this is a football forum, and it's highly unlikely that any "world changing" things will happen here. However, we CAN start changing a long standing tradition of apathy here at North Texas by point out when we've missed yet another opportunity to "wave our flag".

OK, I'll play. As far as printing the schedule, you need to pick your poison.What is being lamented as the worst home shedule in the history of football might not be the best selling tool.

As far as his clothing and lack of NT marking, if you look past him to the other end of the stadium that he is standing in, you will see the most unique end zone seating in the entirety of college football. That and the fact that this publication is sent to UNT alumni leads one to believe that those being marketed know who he plays for.

While it is not the best season ticket ad I have ever seen, I still say that our energy could be used/ wasted on other issues. Like what are those dressed up jackasses on the back cover about?

• Upvote 1

"I would be ever-so-slightly inclined to agree with you if this was a photo to a story run in Dave Campbell's magazine or something like that, simply because the audience is different."

Ever so slightly? Really?

Boy! are you ever making my point.

Yes, ever-so-slightly; Simply because he's standing in a position that you can CLEARLY see the most recognizable attribute (wingzone) of the newest, most badass college football stadium in Texas. If that's not enough of an identifier, there's also a large UNT/SOW decal in the bottom right corner of the ad, so you know what school he attends. If that's not enough, in the bottom left corner, there's a link to the MeanGreenSports website and a phone number as well. All information that anyone could ever need is right there in the ad. Would it be nice if he were wearing a shirt with a giant SOW on it? Sure! But he's not, and that's OK.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

Yes, ever-so-slightly; Simply because he's standing in a position that you can CLEARLY see the most recognizable attribute (wingzone) of the newest, most badass college football stadium in Texas. If that's not enough of an identifier, there's also a large UNT/SOW decal in the bottom right corner of the ad, so you know what school he attends. If that's not enough, in the bottom left corner, there's a link to the MeanGreenSports website and a phone number as well. All information that anyone could ever need is right there in the ad. Would it be nice if he were wearing a shirt with a giant SOW on it? Sure! But he's not, and that's OK.

Again, making my point. If this was an A$M, UT, or just about any other school publication in the B-12 he would definitely be wearing that school's gear, and it would not be okay if he wasn't.

• Downvote 2

In a way, all of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For North Texas, El Guapo is an apathetic fan base that doesn't care. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be *the actual* El Guapo!

• Upvote 2

Some folks just try too hard to find something wrong with just about everything the Mean Green and UNT does these days...then they just keep burying themselves deeper and deeper in their rationalizations as they probably cannot figure out how to get out of the hole they keep digging deeper and deeper for themselves with all their negativity. Good gosh.

And while folks are at it...it would sure be nice if they at least joined the Mean green Club so they would have a little dog in this hunt...just sayin...not pointing fingers at anyone mind you...just a general statement. :angel::sword:

Some folks just try too hard to find something wrong with just about everything the Mean Green and UNT does these days...then they just keep burying themselves deeper and deeper in their rationalizations as they probably cannot figure out how to get out of the hole they keep digging deeper and deeper for themselves with all their negativity. Good gosh.

And while folks are at it...it would sure be nice if they at least joined the Mean green Club so they would have a little dog in this hunt...just sayin...not pointing fingers at anyone mind you...just a general statement. :angel::sword:

I take it your finger is pointing at me since I started this thread. Not that I have to report to you are anyone else, but I'm a Club Level patron; have been since the AD started offering seating at that level. Also, a MG Club member for longer than I care to remember. So, don't come at me about donations. I've done my part.

Edited by DeepGreen

I take it your finger is pointing at me since I started this thread. Not that I have to report to you are anyone else, but I'm a Club Level patron; have been since the AD started offering seating at that level. Also, a MG Club member for longer than I care to remember. So, don't come at me about donations. I've done my part.

Nope, sorry, Deep...not talking about you at all. I know who you are and I know you are a "Mean Green Club member and a Club level patron". And, if you will re-read my post you will see that I am not directing my comment to any one particular person...even said so. The comment was made in general to folks who like to complain about everything...big and small...they seem to think is wrong with the Mean Green, the Mean green staffers and coaches and UNT in general, yet they sit back on their very closed wallets, pocketbooks, credit cards and checkbooks and do nothing to help support the program! They can and do, however, come up with some very creative reasoning as to WHY they don't support the programs with even any level of donation.

Again, making my point. If this was an A$M, UT, or just about any other school publication in the B-12 he would definitely be wearing that school's gear, and it would not be okay if he wasn't.

How can you know that with the 100% certainty you seem to be implying? Have you spoken with all the B-12 AD's recently and reviewed all their various ad pages? Just wondering how you can be so definitive with your statement?

How can you know that with the 100% certainty you seem to be implying? Have you spoken with all the B-12 AD's recently and reviewed all their various ad pages? Just wondering how you can be so definitive with your statement?

Well, nothing is 100% certain.......except for North Texas' apathy....and the people who enable it.

• Downvote 3

Well, nothing is 100% certain.......except for North Texas' apathy....and the people who enable it.

The apathy won't be dictated by a NT player holding a Redskins helmet honoring his father. Look at our athletics history and it's consistent underachieving results on top of that decades of administration not caring about athletics and school related connection and pride and you'll clearly be able to locate where our apathy stems from.

• Upvote 6