Football after NCAA

Dr. Seuss

I know where this is going, and have an honest question:

When you're invited to try out for a team, is that the same as making the practice squad? Contractual differences?

Totally different. There are Pre-Training Camp Tryouts where players are invited to work out (No Contract involved at all), where they are evaluated and some will get a call to sign a contract. The Team will pick up the tab for flight or pay milage and then pay for their Room and Board while attending. The Undrafted Free Agents (Signed to a League Minimum 3-4 year contract) generally gets a player through OTA's and into training camp until the team decides to release them, up to and including the Cut Down dates, during preseason. UFA's get daily per diem's and free room and board through training camp or until they are released/waived.

Practice Squad isn't created until after the final roster has been announced, if you don't make the final roster you are cut and will have to sign a new contract if brought back to the practice or active squad. Players signed to the practice squad get weekly checks in the amounts specified in the CBA which is much less than the UFA Contract (League Minimum divided by 17 games = weekly check), but still good money ( >$5000/week).

• Upvote 2

Funny how everyone says that Dodge was the worst coach in the nation but he has 4 players playing football after college in 2 years... Not saying its a great stat but better than the other coaches

Better than what other coaches? People love to demonize Darrell Dickey but I'd put the NFL careers (although short) of Patrick Cobbs, Kassell, Taylor Casey and Awasom u against any Dodge recruit any day.

Tue Doge era was an unmitigated disaster. Period.

• Upvote 6

6-37 and there are still Dodge apologists lurking out there? That arrogant, thick-skulled, know-nothing actually had me rooting against UNT in hopes that the ever increasing loss total would accelerate his departure. I couldn't stand watching Dodgeball. I don't know what it was, but it sure as hell wasn't football. So what happens? Dodge finally, mercifully gets the hell out, Chico steps in, and with the players that the apologists loved to call a bare cupboard, he makes a couple plays that aren't "OK! Everybody stare at the sideline like a bunch of drugged out deer in hunting season and go long!" and he wins a couple games!

Dodge was awful here, he was nothing to write home about at Pitt, and Southlake continues to win without him. I could care less if three of his recruits are talented enough to get NFL tryouts. In fact, that he had talent like that and still lost...badly...in the Sunbelt, makes him look like even a worse coach in my eyes.

Now we've got a genuine college coaching staff who can count all three of their time-outs without a calculator and a sideline math tutor in a genuine college football stadium going into a genuine college football conference. I couldn't be happier and am pleased as punch to look forward instead of trying to rationalize the past.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

OK, I agreee that dodge was terrible but lets not lose sight that Dodge wanted to retain some of dd's staff & rv said no!

So let's give credit where credit is due please.

Sorry for the line?

Which staff? And how do you know this? Because I have always said that all Dodge had to do was retain the defensive staff of DD (at least the DC) and things would have been much different for his tenure.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

But he didn't. He thought he and is high school buddies knew better. And that's one of the many reasons TD was the worst coach in school history. And know Dodge apologist are trying to blame RV for TD's coaching hires.

The Dodge era was the worst in school, do why are you trying to defend it.

History is important because it tells us what didn't work in the past. Hiring a high school coach as your head coach ranks only behind starting a land invasion of Russia in the winter. It just doesn't seem works out. However, saddling a coach with 7 road game, with LSU as your first game out of the gate, is also a recipe that has not worked out in the past. Just a casual observation.

While I agree TD was the worst head coach this program has ever endured, I just can't go along with those who continue to demonize him. Here's my take... TD was not an Agent of Satan sent to Denton to further crush and humiliate an already floundering, underfunded football program. He was quite simply WAY WAY over his head, thoroughly ill equipped to staff and coach a Division I college football program.

His arrogance clouded his better judgement when it came to staffing all the way down to game day decisions, and yes, he left the cupboard bare for Chico and Coach Mac.

In the credit where credit is due department, at least he didn't dress his players in black and give the school, its students, alumni, and boosters the middle finger on his way out the door.

Now, can we finally....FINALLY shovel dirt on this failed era and fill Apogee every game day? Let's help make the Coach Mac era the new "golden days" of UNT football. :thumbsu:

• Upvote 4