Idaho to the Sun belt a possibility.

Should the Sun Belt become the "Island of Unwanted Toys?"

http://www.klewtv.co...-149950865.html

"I want the University of Idaho to succeed in all of this," said Benson. "I will do whatever I can from a personal standpoint or a professional standpoint to help. You know at the end of the day I report to a board of directors now that will indicating to me what direction we need to head."

http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_20576856/nmsu-president-weighs-options-athletics-conferences?source=most_viewed

According to New Mexico State President, Barbara Coulture, "We have made overtures to the Sun Belt. The Sun Belt, I think, has not completed its program of the shape of its particular confe " rence. We certainly would welcome an opportunity to talk with the Sun Belt as we would with the Mountain West, or with Conference USA, while we are still working hard to strengthen the position of the WAC. We are leaving all of those positions open at this point."

I cannot believe that current and future members of the Sun Belt Conference would wish to incur the huge travel expenses to these schools

Edited by Mark Gommesen
  • Upvote 1

Hopefully someone will stop Mr. Benson's attempt to conquer the world.

Should the Sun belt wish to expand there better options than New Mexico State or Idaho. Should Old Dominion decline an invite to the C-USA, it could be a target for the Sun belt.

The Sun Belt has other options in FCS. Appalachian State could step into the SBC and compete immediately, but would the SBC be a significant enough upgrade to justify the increase in fees for more scholarships and stadium expansions.

Georgia Southern and Jacksonville State ranked just behind ODU in attendance last season. GSU is a standard bearer in FCS football, and JSU has seen an uptick in its on-field product recently. Both make geographic sense for the SBC.

Lamar is another program that reintroduced football recently, kicking off in 2010. The Cardinals would give Texas State a neighbor and natural rival for football. LU averaged a healthy 16,000-plus in attendance, ranking just behind fellow reclassifying programs Georgia State and South Alabama both of which are Sun Belt-bound.

It does not make since nor is it necessary for the Sun belt Conference to dramatically expand it's geographical territory for schools which have so little to offer.

NCAA rules dictate that an institution must join a conference before it can make the move from the FCS to the FBS.

"I want the University of Idaho to succeed in all of this," said Benson. "I will do whatever I can from a personal standpoint . . . ."

This has everything to do with Benson's own personal relationship with Idaho. I feel that Texas State-SM and UTA's addition are related to this as well. All I've heard indicates that the Sun Belt schools would rather be a southeastern conference. Benson may feel obligated to Idaho for the years they contributed to his livelihood, and he may feel obligated to TS-SM and UTA for promising them a good home in a new conference, but the Sun Belt has no obligation to any of them.

• Upvote 1

This has everything to do with Benson's own personal relationship with Idaho. I feel that Texas State-SM and UTA's addition are related to this as well. All I've heard indicates that the Sun Belt schools would rather be a southeastern conference. Benson may feel obligated to Idaho for the years they contributed to his livelihood, and he may feel obligated to TS-SM and UTA for promising them a good home in a new conference, but the Sun Belt has no obligation to any of them.

That's what is so confusing. I thought the stated objective was to create a 12 team football conference with two regional divisions. I don't know how a NMSU or an Idaho could fit it. The Sun Belt has so many other options that could make this happen.

Sun Belt Commissioner says geographic expansion, NMSU invitation haven't been discussed

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-sports/ci_20565611/sun-belt-commissioner-says-geographic-expansion-nmsu-invitation

Mr Benson does a little back tracking...

Benson said on Monday that expansion west of Texas "has yet to be discussed," and added such conversation likely wouldn't take place until the conference holds its Board of Directors and Athletics Directors Meetings on May 22.