CUSA and Sunbelt Merger About to Happen Folks

The Southwest Ten (assuming we could get a playoff game).

New Mexico State

Texas State

Louisiana Tech

UTSA

Southern Miss

North Texas

UTEP

Rice

Arkansas State

Louisiana

UTA (Basketball Only)

Since UNT will never move up to the AAC, MWC, or even the MAC, the new SWC sounds about right.  Forget ULM.  Not much there and LT wouldn't have them.

Oh, and why not have our own TV network?  SW10TV?

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Simple question.

How much of a conference's overhead could be eliminated by consolidation?

Whether or not you shuffle the lineup, why can't CUSA and Sun Belt consolidate their administrative operations. There is more work compiling stats and sending press releases and organizing championship events but I bet if you combine the administrative operations you don't need as many people and don't need to lease as much office space.

Why not do multi-year agreements with an eastern and western city for the conference basketball tournament and flip CUSA and Sun Belt between the locations each year. 2018 CUSA plays in the west city, Sun Belt plays in the east city, flip in 2019, flip back 2020, and again in 2021.

TV deals are near identical, why not sync up the contracts and negotiate them as one deal?

Don't have to change the line-ups, they remain independent conferences that just jointly share administrative costs.

Edited by Arkstfan
  • Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

This thing has already been predicted 637 per month since the AAC schools split from the C-USA.  Hopefully, it will happen sooner rather than later.

I think it would be great for us if we can get his thing tighter, from a geographical standpoint. Assuming we cannot move up to the MWC or AAC, which is what I believe is the case because of the Texas ties currently in the AAC and the future availability of Texas schools for the MWC to choose from the inevitable Big XII implosion, this scenario needs to happen ASAP. Schools like UTEP and La Tech cannot look down their noses anymore at NMSU or ULM--they don't have that kind of clout.

UTEP, NMSU, UTSA, Texas State, Rice, and UNT in the West

La Tech, ULL, ULM, Arkansas State, USM, and UAB in the East

Troy, USA, FIU, FAU, Ga State, and Ga Southern in the South

Marshall, MUTS, WKU, ODU, Charlotte, and Appy State in the North

It all just makes too much sense from a cost standpoint, from a travel standpoint, and from a rivalry/attendance standpoint. Benefits the schools, the players, coaches, staff, and fans.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, untjim1995 said:

I think it would be great for us if we can get his thing tighter, from a geographical standpoint. Assuming we cannot move up to the MWC or AAC, which is what I believe is the case because of the Texas ties currently in the AAC and the future availability of Texas schools for the MWC to choose from the inevitable Big XII implosion, this scenario needs to happen ASAP. Schools like UTEP and La Tech cannot look down their noses anymore at NMSU or ULM--they don't have that kind of clout.

It all just makes too much sense from a cost standpoint, from a travel standpoint, and from a rivalry/attendance standpoint. Benefits the schools, the players, coaches, staff, and fans.

La. Tech will shut their program down before they go into a conference with ULM.   UTEP has a similar feeling about NMSU but not quite as strong.

My guess is La. Tech is trying hard to get into the AAC before something like this happens.  Of course they have the Tulane issue that we have with SMU.

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

As posted several times over the past two years, I favor two separate conferences, not a super conference.  The schools in the East and Southeast can form a conference with two divisions.  There are enough schools in the Lousiana, Arkansas, Texas area for form one conference of nine or 10 schools.  We need to leave behind the notion that we must be tied with schools from state on the eastern seaboard.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Harry said:

La. Tech will shut their program down before they go into a conference with ULM.   UTEP has a similar feeling about NMSU but not quite as strong.

My guess is La. Tech is trying hard to get into the AAC before something like this happens.  Of course they have the Tulane issue that we have with SMU.

Neither has much choice. I guess they could go independent or make it to where those schools weren't in their divisions, but if they would prefer to not exist as a program over not playing with another school they look down on, I'm sure that NMSU and ULM wouldn't mind. Besides, at some point, schools like Sam Houston and SFA will want to move up from FCS.

Just now, MeanGreenMailbox said:

As posted several times over the past two years, I favor two separate conferences, not a super conference.  The schools in the East and Southeast can form a conference with two divisions.  There are enough schools in the Lousiana, Arkansas, Texas area for form one conference of nine or 10 schools.  We need to leave behind the notion that we must be tied with schools from state on the eastern seaboard.

Totally agree...

• Upvote 1

My problem with NMSU is that the prior athletic director said that they weren't judging the football program by wins and losses.  If that's still the case, why would anyone - including UTEP - throw them a line?  At least Idaho is trying and has been trying.

You think we've had bad direction in the football program?  We're nowhere close to NMSU when it comes to mishandling a football program.  NMSU needs to simply fold or go FCS.  I no longer include them in any future conference discussions. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don't think their Tulane issue is as big of a deal as our SMU deal is. Those universities are located at completely different sides of the state with completely different fan base followings, and markets for that matter. La Tech will be hurt because the only decent market close to them is Shreveport and that isn't really saying a whole lot. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

So we can be perceived as being serious about football.

Conference affiliation to many doesn't show seriousness to a sport or athletics in general. If it did, do you think Texas would still be in the Big 12?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Nobody pays attention to MWC football.  Regional teams make much more sense...despite them being 'smaller' programs.  Nobody cares about Colorado St, Air Force, San Diego St. etc...they are bigger names but their TV ratings outside the mountain regions are trash.  Won't help our attendance either with them not traveling very well.  I'd love to go on some of those road trips though!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So we can be perceived as being serious about football.

Nothing more polarizing in conference realignment talk than the MWC.  Some of us want the prestige, while some want to be able to see our football team regionally - beyond Apogee.  Personally, I look at the current footlball lineup and don't see the prestige that you think is there.

Regardless, after we made the move up to CUSA I'm not convinced another move up is worth consideration unless it is P5.  We thought going to CUSA would do wonders for basketball perception, but the second Memphis left we have been relegated to comparisons to the Belt.  You just never know what the conference will be like in 5-10 years.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

So we can enjoy 9:00 game start times? No thanks!

I'm cool with 9:00 am start times, but I'm not cool with how the MWC plays a HUGE percentage of its games on Tues-Thurs.  I would drop my season tickets over that.  

(Oh.  Wait.  You mean 9:00 P.M. game starts, don't you?  Yeah.  Ouch) 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1