Why Middle Tennessee nor Ga. State will not get an invite to the C-USA

The CBS has 850,000,000. dollar contract with the SEC CBS is one the principle media contracts with the C-USA. CBS will not consider it favorably if the C-USA was to compete in the same media markets as the SEC Vanderbilt of the SEC is in Nashville and Georgia of the SEC is in Atlanta, which is tough luck for Middle Tennessee State and Georgia State. Since the C-USA/MWC are seeking to improve their media contracts, they will avoid expansion into markets where the SEC has an established presence. This perhaps why neither were given serious consideration in recent expansion talks or campus visits and why Georgia State was happy to accept an invite to the Sunbelt.

http://www.sportsbus...n-Annually.aspx

Edited by Mark Gommesen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The CBS has 850,000,000. dollar contract with the SEC CBS is one the principle media contracts with the C-USA. CBS will not consider it favorably if the C-USA was to compete in the same media markets as the SEC Vanderbilt of the SEC is in Nashville and Georgia of the SEC is in Atlanta, which is tough luck for Middle Tennessee State and Georgia State. Since the C-USA/MWC are seeking to improve their media contracts, they will avoid expansion into markets where the SEC has an established presence. This perhaps why neither were given serious consideration in recent expansion talks or campus visits and why Georgia State was happy to accept an invite to the Sunbelt.

http://www.sportsbus...n-Annually.aspx

Good info Mark and probably very valid.

That has nothing to do with it. Plus UGA is in Athens GA, Georgia Tech is in Atlanta. Georgia State doesn't not have the propper facilities. If CUSA goes past 14 to 16 the next 2 I would see getting in are MTSU and WKU. To be honest though after ODU accepts I hope CUSA stops at 14.

EAST

Charlotte

ODU

Marshall

ECU

UAB

USM

FIU

WEST

LA Tech

Tulsa

UNT

UTSA

Rice

UTEP

Tulane

There are no divisions in CUSA duing basketball season. There could be 2 games added to the conferece schedule and each team play each other in basketball like football division. Each team in the east/west plays Home and Home and play 3 home games and 3 away games against the other division.

Football you would play 3 home and 3 away against your division and 2 crossover games.

• Upvote 5

. To be honest though after ODU accepts I hope CUSA stops at 14.

i agree...i'd like to seperate from the sun belt, not bring many of them with us. that may be elitist thinking, but we are growing and need to do that with new schools.

• Upvote 3

That has nothing to do with it. Plus UGA is in Athens GA, Georgia Tech is in Atlanta. Georgia State doesn't not have the propper facilities. If CUSA goes past 14 to 16 the next 2 I would see getting in are MTSU and WKU. To be honest though after ODU accepts I hope CUSA stops at 14.

EAST

Charlotte

ODU

Marshall

ECU

UAB

USM

FIU

WEST

LA Tech

Tulsa

UNT

UTSA

Rice

UTEP

Tulane

There are no divisions in CUSA duing basketball season. There could be 2 games added to the conferece schedule and each team play each other in basketball like football division. Each team in the east/west plays Home and Home and play 3 home games and 3 away games against the other division.

Football you would play 3 home and 3 away against your division and 2 crossover games.

Sounds good to be me.

I was of the opinion that the CUSA TV contract was with Fox (or maybe that's who they're negotiating with now).

Here the current contracts. I haven't heard if the cusa and mwc are negotiating has an alliance or separately.

CUSA

5 years, $35 million, CBS College Sports (through 2016)

5 years, $35 million, Fox (through 2016)

Annual: $14 million

Average Annual per School: $1.17 million

Mountain West

10 years, $120 million, CBS College Sports (through 2016)

Annual: $12 million

Average Annual per School: $1.33 million

Notes: losses and additions now have the MWC at 10 members with Hawaii as a football only member, will lower per school payout

What market does ODU deliver? Being an unproven product and all, its hard to beleive the networks are going to dictate what team(s) CUSA adds.

ODU gives us the Nofolk/Tidewater VA market. Norfolk is the larget market out there without any pro sports. Norfolk/Tidewater is a hotbed of IA talent. Marshall has pulled plenty of kids out of there and its where VA Tech was recruiting a lot when they started their rise in the late 80s early 90s.

There are usully like 2 HS in the top 25 HS nationwide in football in the Tidewater area.

• Upvote 3

i agree...i'd like to seperate from the sun belt, not bring many of them with us. that may be elitist thinking, but we are growing and need to do that with new schools.

Your growth has nothing to do with who from the Sun Belt goes with you, or what start-up schools CUSA takes in the east. It has little to do with CUSA at all.

Your growth has to do with the grouping of schools you are associating yourself with in Texas....Rice, UTSA, UTEP, UNT. You have an excellent chance to come out on top of that group competitively and if you do that task then you will blow up in Texas and your attendance will be on the road to ECU/USM levels.

CUSA can add MTSU, Western Nevada, or Athens Georgia Community College and its not going to effect your opportunity. Dominate those other 3 and you are set.

Try not to become elitist though.

• Upvote 5

What market does ODU deliver? Being an unproven product and all, its hard to beleive the networks are going to dictate what team(s) CUSA adds.

Old Dominion University is located in the Norfolk, Va. metropolitian area of 1,672,319 43rd Largest Media Market and has no other major University or pro sports. That's a larger media market than Louisville, Memphis or New Orleans.

Ya, I doubt the SEC is worried about Georgia St. or MTSU stealing their ratings. I'm sure CBS feels the same way.

It's probably about #156,956 on their list of priorities, if it's there at all.

UNT90, you are probably right from a fan perspective, but this is big corporate business.There are some media reports that CUSA/MWC are currently renegotiating as an alliance with CBS. Obviously they want to be in the strongest position possible. The number one source of revenue for collegiate conferences are television contracts. Both the MWC and C-USA have admitted that they coordinated on the selection of expansion candidates and admit the one of the major criteria in the selection of new schools was media. The CBS contract with the SEC may stipulate that CBS will not acquire rights to Division 1 games of schools in other conferences in the same media Market as an SEC school. Not so much because of that SEC is concern about C-USA, but the ACC. Also, you never know who the next "Boise State" maybe. It just might be an MTSU with a nationally ranked team in a major sport like football or basketball. There is a huge corporate investment in these contracts, believe me it does matter to CBS. It is a very high priority. CBS has almost a billion dollars in invested in contracts with the SEC, C-USA and MWC.

Edited by Mark Gommesen

Boy, this forum sure has some pretty intelligent people. I knew this thread result in some great responses. But, wow.

We am the best and the britest you wil find anywhur. Thats a title we wil never loose.

OK, I'm fishing for +1s for proper use of the word loose. :bow:

• Upvote 1

Old Dominion University is located in the Norfolk, Va. metropolitian area of 1,672,319 43rd Largest Media Market and has no other major University or pro sports. That's a larger media market than Louisville, Memphis or New Orleans.

Are you looking at population of the MSA or DMA? That makes a big difference. Norfolk is the 43rd largest DMA with ~719,000 TV households. When it comes to networks, those are the numbers that they are interested in. For what it's worth, Nashville is 29 with ~1,000,000 TV households. I doubt that CBS is worried about the competition with the SEC. The SEC games would always get the better network, but if you can add eyeballs on a secondary networks at the same time, why wouldn't you?

DMA list for those interested.

Edited by forevereagle