tough season ahead

drex

This may be a real tough year for us, as the Sun Belt teams in all sports might be giving it the extra 'college try' to bump us off since we are leaving the conference. Hope all goes smoothly. Your thoughts?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It will be a tough season with the Belt teams...except for FIU.

When we play FIU this year, the game clock will start but there won't be any plays made because both teams and all of the fans will be too busy giving each other high fives! It's going to be an EPIC game!

I am going to go ahead and predict a 7OT game with a final of 26-23--this time it will be due to those HIGH FIVES and not abysmal play

It will be a tough season with the Belt teams...except for FIU.

When we play FIU this year, the game clock will start but there won't be any plays made because both teams and all of the fans will be too busy giving each other high fives! It's going to be an EPIC game!

Too bad we have to play USA instead of you guys. If it weren't for that we may not make it into the stadium with all the pre-game celebratory drinking.

• Upvote 1

I've mentioned this to a few via cell phone, but Hayden Fry in his 2'nd season at North Texas only had 2 wins.

Like UH did before they entered the Southwest Conference, Coach Yeoman red-shirted record numbers saving them for

their 1'st year of SWC competition (of which the Coogs' won in their 1'st year). Not so sure we should do the very same thing and take the hit this next Fall. Anyone agree?

I'm hoping for much better for Coach McCarney than Fry had in his 2'nd season, but we will have a big bullseye target painted on us because

we will be leaving the Belt and for some (if not all) of the SBC schools this will be their last shot at us for a long time.

Speaking of Coach Fry, if he had had us stay in the Missouri Valley Conference, we'd have been a charter member of C-USA.

And I think North Texas has always been a primary target of other teams in the Sun Belt.

Joe, according to Wikopedia's info on the Metro Conference, Hayden Fry would have already been at Iowa U for 5 years before the Metro Conference opened for business.

From Wikopedia:

The Metropolitan Collegiate Athletic Conference, popularly known as the Metro Conference, was an NCAA Division I athletics conference, so named because all of its charter members were in urban metropolitan areas in, or at least on the fringes of, the Southern United States. The conference never sponsored football, although most of its members throughout its history had Division I-A football programs (from 1983-91.................................

And here is the history of the Missouri Valley Conference which shows getting out of the Mo' Valley was not just a Hayden Fry or North Texas thang', either.

Former members of the Missouri Valley Conference (quite interesting to me all the schools that have come and gone)

• Downvote 1