Apogee Stadium ranked 118 out of 124 FBS stadiums

meangreendrew

Bleacher Report is essentially a blog. The 'contributors' are just like you and I. They are sports fans that want to write. Any one of us could write for the Bleacher Report. It is 99.9999% volunteer and there only a few paid or professional writers. I don't even think they will allow a professional writer that was not a free contributor because that is their niche. Students can use this website to practice, get feedback, and build a resume. Or a sports fan that wants to sway opinion can post an article. Every time I see this site quoted as a 'source' it just makes me giggle. Its been a fantastic marketing tool and is modeled after financial websites like Motley Fool.

I would love to see Harry's stuff on there because he is an excellent (and balanced) writer. There is a guy with the pen name "Toby Writes" that either went to NT or some Sun Belt school. He is also a pretty balanced writer. Just keep in mind that these writers are doing the articles on a volunteer basis. There are no editors (they use peer editing) and its really just a well packaged message board.

What do you say Plumm? How about an article from you?

Source: "It's a meritocracy," Grey says. (Lewis and I spoke with him separately.) About 1 percent of B/R's 7,000 contributors receive stipends ranging from "a few hundred to a couple thousand dollars per month." The effect is to reward those who deserve it — the site's best writers and top traffic-getters — while giving everyone else something to reach for. Grey calls it "the gamification of the contributor base." Not that getting paid is the only incentive. For many contributors who are also fans, "to be seen as an authority on their team is a motivating factor," he says.

OK, Stebo, so our stadium sucks, deserves its Bleacher Report ranking and you're defending a blogger for reporting that?

How balanced have most of your posts been on GMG.com? Did that blogger give UNT a balanced critique on our new stadium? And balance is in the eyes of the beholder (and reader). I post on Huffington Post but their idea of balance is a far left agenda. Actually, stebo, I have enjoyed reading most of your posts--didn't always agree but agreed with many of your thoughts. Yet you have an opinion--I have an opinion..Hark! We both have opinions. Almost American of us to agree to disagree at times, eh?.

I got my buns burned for posting that we should go another route and not hire yet another assistant football coach this time around after Todd Dodge was fired. Merely opinionated on that because the last 5 or 6 assistant coach project hires to be the UNT HFC left Denton under .500. (Maybe time to try another direction was the opinion of many and to go the route of a former FBS HFC from a major conference was at the top of most our list).

Yet last HFC hiring go aorund you would have thought that I was suggesting a "take from the rich--give to the poor" mode of pure communism for the USA with all the red number responses. (Although I can't recall that all those red numbers stopped me from still posting my opinions).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I am so incredibly confused. We are complete agreement Plumm, 100%. The only point of my post was that this is not an article. It is some kid that wants to be a reporter or is a fan. He responded to the comments and apologized already. About as close to a retraction as you will get from what is essentially a message board post that has the appearance of an article.

I am so incredibly confused. We are complete agreement Plumm, 100%. The only point of my post was that this is not an article. It is some kid that wants to be a reporter or is a fan. He responded to the comments and apologized already. About as close to a retraction as you will get from what is essentially a message board post that has the appearance of an article.

:lol: That's OK, Stebo, the older I get the more confused I seem to be. At least I'm still not getting lost shopping in a 7/11 yet.:blink:

Thanks for letting me know more about the background of the writers (or bloggers) of that online publication, though..

Seems to me, though, the Bleacher Report folks put a lot of money into their website to not expect more accurate vetting from any of their bloggers,. The one who did the stadium survey ripped his britches big time with his ranking of Apogee Stadium, though.

Perhaps a better idea for that poll would have been to rank stadiums by size; for instance, All Stadiums With Capacities of 40,000 and Less; ;and then...........

All Stadiums With Capacities of 40,001 And More?

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This started off bad with a Title of "Apogee Ranked 118th out of 124 FBS stadiums." A brand new stadium that is made of brick is the 6th worst? OK, obviously, they meant Fouts. The when you think about that , you realize the whole list is pure crap. Because there is not a prayer that there were 6 places worse than Fouts to watch a football game. Hell, there probably wasn't even one other stadium worse than Fouts for watching a football game.

Awful thread...

• Upvote 1

Bleacher Report is essentially a blog. The 'contributors' are just like you and I. They are sports fans that want to write. Any one of us could write for the Bleacher Report. It is 99.9999% volunteer and there only a few paid or professional writers. I don't even think they will allow a professional writer that was not a free contributor because that is their niche. Students can use this website to practice, get feedback, and build a resume. Or a sports fan that wants to sway opinion can post an article. Every time I see this site quoted as a 'source' it just makes me giggle. Its been a fantastic marketing tool and is modeled after financial websites like Motley Fool.

I would love to see Harry's stuff on there because he is an excellent (and balanced) writer. There is a guy with the pen name "Toby Writes" that either went to NT or some Sun Belt school. He is also a pretty balanced writer. Just keep in mind that these writers are doing the articles on a volunteer basis. There are no editors (they use peer editing) and its really just a well packaged message board.

Source: “It’s a meritocracy,” Grey says. (Lewis and I spoke with him separately.) About 1 percent of B/R’s 7,000 contributors receive stipends ranging from “a few hundred to a couple thousand dollars per month.” The effect is to reward those who deserve it — the site’s best writers and top traffic-getters — while giving everyone else something to reach for. Grey calls it “the gamification of the contributor base.” Not that getting paid is the only incentive. For many contributors who are also fans, “to be seen as an authority on their team is a motivating factor,” he says.

Whatever, they put it out there in public, then it is open to ridicule.

Source: “It’s a meritocracy,” Grey says. (Lewis and I spoke with him separately.) About 1 percent of B/R’s 7,000 contributors receive stipends ranging from “a few hundred to a couple thousand dollars per month.” The effect is to reward those who deserve it — the site’s best writers and top traffic-getters — while giving everyone else something to reach for. Grey calls it “the gamification of the contributor base.” Not that getting paid is the only incentive. For many contributors who are also fans, “to be seen as an authority on their team is a motivating factor,” he says.

No. They want to be taken seriously now: http://blog.bleacherreport.com/2011/08/22/the-new-fab-five-lead-writers-usher-in-a-new-era-at-bleacher-report/

A quintet of blogging stars make their debut today as Bleacher Report embarks on, no exaggeration, a whole new era.

Dan Levy, Josh Zerkle, Bethlehem Shoals, Dan Rubenstein and Matt Miller launch their Bleacher Report careers today, and they will, if I may quote the press release, “help give direction and guidance to the company’s vast contributor base, as well as shape content and conversation with readers through social media platforms.”

If you don’t speak press release, what that means is that we now have five pros heading up our coverage of national sports, the NFL, the NFL draft, the NBA and college football, and they’re pretty cool guys.

What you describe as a fun chance to blog is a for-profit system with some fancy window dressing that is gaming Google and looking for page views and revenue over content. Every time we link, click, post and make fun of them, you're giving the people behind the writers money and enabling the cycle. I am glad Toby has the passion and interest in blogging about us (and wish he would do it through his own site and let the content speak for itself), but don't try to legitimize a crappy system that does much more harm than good. Generating page views /= journalism (and the same goes for half the crap on Gawker/Deadspin now.)