Chris Marcus

Cooley

What happened to him? I know he sat out for the 2nd year with a bad foot. This guy was projected as the #1 center in the country prior to the 02-03 season.

He went undrafted and I have not seen his name surface on any summer league teams. He would have been the Maverick's savior at center (7-1 with skills)

Anyone know anything?

On the other board somebody said the Nuggets signed Marcus.  Apparently he has gained a lot of weight.

I think he has a long road ahead of him, but if he is 7 feet and has a pulse, he has a chance.

Chris is indeed in Denver with the Nuggets. Before the draft, he had a workout for 4 teams at his hometown in N.C. He was not drafted, but was picked up quickly by the Nuggets. He has been cleared to play and will be working out and rehabing in Denver all summer. He had put some weight on, but is losing it. I think a lot us, Topper fans included don't really realize how bad of an injury he had. It's easy to say he was soft, lazy, etc.. but we really don't know what he went through. I am just glad he is getting a chance to prove himself.

Info from the WKU/SBC board:

"Anyone remember Chris Marcus who was a projected lottery pick with Western Kentucky before he got hurt. Well he was signed as a free agent by the Denver Nuggets two days after th draft. He weighed 335 at the Chicago Bulls physical. He said the day before the draft he was back down to 320, but his ideal playing weight is 285-290. He also stated that his ankle feels the best it has in 2 years and he has even started playing ball on it again. The Nuggets stated that they think they got the best Center in the draft that Marcus's injury was a blessing in disguise because it allowed them to pick him up and still get Carmelo Anthony. They think Marcus has a chance to contribute right away if he can get into playing shape."