My Wish List for Our Next Coach

I do think it's usually better to try and find someone with head coaching experience. But in this case, Forrest already has relationships with the kids and we need to make sure everyone is onboard. Usually we're hiring because someone was fired, so yeah go for experience. This time we're hiring because our head guy left on his own accord --- and his head recruiter is available.

Hire Forrest.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like Vic Trilli. I'm not saying Coach Forrest would be a Vic Trilli at HC, but recruiting is only part of the package.

Let's remember a few things

1)JJ could take Forrest with him...and just might

2)These kids really like JJ and Forrest

3)They're just freshmen. A transfer isn't far fetched.

4)LSU will have holes built into their roster immediately upon JJ getting there

Yes he would. If a Big 6 team with 1.5 to spend came along, he would be gone in a heartbeat, UNT grad or not.

Not everyone jumps for more money right away. Look at Mark Few, Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart. All three may leave their current jobs eventually for more money, but they have yet to as of yet despite being courted heavily in the past.

• Upvote 1

I cannot remember any assistant coach North Texas ever hired for any varsity program who was successful (except for JJ--see next paragraph); especially when we hired from within. Maybe there was one the last 50 or so years, but I don't know who that would have been.

I like the Fry and McCarney hiring models even for MG basketball. Such higher profile hires can move things along so much faster than the project hire IMO and with Alliance membership within reach, we don't have time to do what has mostly been the norm in Denton, save Johnny Jones who was not the usual assistant coach hire we had become accustomed before him. I thought JJ was on the eve of taking our program to the next level that would have included NCAA berths and moving past the 1'st round of the Big Dance. Folks, we are hardly a basketball school steeped in tradition and that is why this next hire is so important.

If there were ever a time in our basketball history for an impact hire I think that time would be now.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Hire assistant give chance someone who can keep Tony Mitchell. Either a Missouri or Ksate assistant both had him committed before his arrival here anyone know of assistants at these schools?

And maybe that kind of an "assistant hire" would work; who knows.

Another poster mentioned the Tulsa model. I would North Texas have that model over hiring someone who stays way too long and establishes absolutely nothing but we did hear from such past hires (and even comments from posters on this forum) still how "loyal" they were to stay? LOL!. That's like saying that lemon of an auto that some dude purchased yet it cost him dearly each year in repairs was still so very special because he kept it for 10 years?:blink:

This below happened to Tulsa U in the past but (at least) most of these hires left a baskeball legacy behind for the Golden Hurricane. And even in football, Boise at one point had about 10 HFC's leave in the space of about 12 years but they still (amazingly) maintained a Top 25 program thru most of that time.

Nolan Richardson (1980–1985)

J. D. Barnett (1985–1991)

Tubby Smith (1991–1995)

Steve Robinson (1995–1997)

Bill Self (1997–2000)

Buzz Peterson (2000–2001)

John Phillips (2001–2004)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

How bout RV look down the road at Johnny Estelle at Navarro? Of course success at a juco isn't exactly skins, but if nothing else his name is Johnny. Maybe some of the players won't notice we changed coaches. But really, the guy is going to be great somewhere at the next level, why not NT? The guy had instant success going from assistant to HC at Navarro a few years back, and has kept Navarro as one of the better juco teams around.

How bout RV look down the road at Johnny Estelle at Navarro? Of course success at a juco isn't exactly skins, but if nothing else his name is Johnny. Maybe some of the players won't notice we changed coaches. But really, the guy is going to be great somewhere at the next level, why not NT? The guy had instant success going from assistant to HC at Navarro a few years back, and has kept Navarro as one of the better juco teams around.

No.

Raise expectations.

Maybe the new coach could bring him in as an assistant.

• Upvote 2

Forrest is apparently a great recruiter, that does not make him a good head coach. I have nothing against interviewing him or evaluating him for the job. I may have missed something but I don't see were he has any head coach experience. The role of ace recruiter is obviously for someone who can establish a good relationships with players and sell. I have no idea how much Forrest has to do with the actual coaching of the team, but I thought he was third in line behind both Leonard and Foy in the coaches' pecking order.

Those advocating Forrest may know more about his coaching abilities, but on the surface I think he would be a bad choice. Head coaches don't need to be players' friend. Maybe hc Forrest would be entirely different than what the players expect based on their previous relationship with an assistant coach who is paid at least initially to have players like him.

I admit my first reaction was why not, keep the players happy and promote Forrest. On second thought, however, I think NT should get someone with hc experience that is likely to be able to keep the players intact and more importantly grow the program. I think the risk is greater to put an unknown in the hc seat than to not be able to placate the players. Again this is all perspective from afar, I don't know Shawn's role in actual coaching at NT and his potential for the job. He may be running the practices, but on the surface he looks like too much a risk.

I think NT with Jones' big help has developed the hc position in to one that will be attractive to a lot of good coaches. Just look at how many good coaches there are currently in the Belt and with the possible exception of WKU, I got to think that NT is the best job in the lot. Great recruiting area, good facilities and good compensation at least by Belt standards.

• Upvote 1