UTSA and Charlotte Looking to join Sun Belt

KoldBeer

The University of Charlotte and Texas-San Antonio have had discussions with the Sun Belt and are “leading candidates” to join the league, sources told CBSSports.com.

One source said both schools have received “informal invitations” to join the Sun Belt, but another source said talks had not progressed that far. Either way, the schools have had discussions with the Sun Belt and could join the league as early as the 2013-14 academic year.

Charlotte, which will start football in 2013, would be leaving the Atlantic 10, where its Olympic sports have competed since 2005. Texas-San Antonio, which just completed its first football season, is joining the WAC on July 1, but would consider a move to the Sun Belt.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/17770188/charlotte-texas-san-antonio-leading-candidates-for-sun-belt

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Charlotte would be a big upgrade for basketball. Just having them in the league could help everyone's RPI.

Really? To the point that people could stop whining about our OOC schedule and come to realize that it is our IN confernce foes who have led to our RPI scores recently? You promise.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The University of Charlotte and Texas-San Antonio have had discussions with the Sun Belt and are “leading candidates” to join the league, sources told CBSSports.com.

One source said both schools have received “informal invitations” to join the Sun Belt, but another source said talks had not progressed that far. Either way, the schools have had discussions with the Sun Belt and could join the league as early as the 2013-14 academic year.

Charlotte, which will start football in 2013, would be leaving the Atlantic 10, where its Olympic sports have competed since 2005. Texas-San Antonio, which just completed its first football season, is joining the WAC on July 1, but would consider a move to the Sun Belt.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/17770188/charlotte-texas-san-antonio-leading-candidates-for-sun-belt

Obvious replacement for UNT.

• Upvote 2

And ECU is also pushing to get into the Big East, so they can probably keep pushing.

i agree.i don't see how they get much of a vote, but if they do, then the Alliance Conference will save a spot for them until they get their football program up and going. its good market, and fits their footprint.

Even though we may be leaving I don't want to dump on the SBC. I'm actually glad that we were a part of the football development of the conference (mostly early) and wish them every success.

I believe that Charlotte and UTSA are good markets for the Sun Belt and will, in time, help them get better payouts. I also hope that they make room for Appalachian State which would boost football in the conference.

The Sun Belt Conference has a bright future as long as they can keep adding better coaches. The rest will follow.

• Upvote 1

I thought we all agreed long ago that WE are the next Boise St.

Charlotte and UTSA will have to settle for being the next UNT...

As soon as we become the next Boise St.

Clear...??

I thought we said Boise st was the original North Texas...