Some feel good marijuana stories

"While fighting against [California's failed Proposition 19 last year], lobbyist John Lovell accepted nearly $400,000 from a wide array of police unions, some of which he also represented in attempting to steer millions of federal dollars toward California's marijuana suppression programs. The revelation, reported yesterday by the 's Lee Fang, illustrates how Proposition 19 threatened the paychecks of some of its biggest foes. Police departments stood to lose lucrative federal grants like a $550,000 payment in 2010 to police departments in three Northern California counties that covered 666 hours of police overtime spent eradicating marijuana."

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/03/pot-legalization-foe-war-drugs

One of the reasons police support marijuana criminalization is that it brings big federal dollars to their departments.

Just reversing your argument, you know, because if one drug should be legal, they all should be legal, right?

Crack, Heroin. Let's just hand it out like candy.

The medical consequences of drugs like crack and heroin on the human body are well-documented and severe. They cross the blood-brain barrier and create chemical addiction.

Pot, on the other hand, is no more severe than alcohol.

Millions of people use pot and drink alcohol without harming themselves or others. I see no reason a society that legalizes alcohol should not consider legalizing marijuana as well. At a minimum, medical marijuana should be something doctors can prescribe.

"While fighting against [California's failed Proposition 19 last year], lobbyist John Lovell accepted nearly $400,000 from a wide array of police unions, some of which he also represented in attempting to steer millions of federal dollars toward California's marijuana suppression programs. The revelation, reported yesterday by the 's Lee Fang, illustrates how Proposition 19 threatened the paychecks of some of its biggest foes. Police departments stood to lose lucrative federal grants like a $550,000 payment in 2010 to police departments in three Northern California counties that covered 666 hours of police overtime spent eradicating marijuana."

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/03/pot-legalization-foe-war-drugs

One of the reasons police support marijuana criminalization is that it brings big federal dollars to their departments.

The idea that police jobs would be lost if marihuana were legalized is COMPLETELY laughable. There is so much more to police work than writing tickets and busting marihuana users.

I have not laughed that hard in a long time, thanks.

And federal grant money would simply be shifted to other areas of law enforcement, so police administrations would t even lose grant money.

Could it be that Police are opposed to marijuana legalization because they are much more educated than you are on the adverse effects of marihuana on the community?

Just a thought.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

Could it be that Police are opposed to marijuana legalization because they are much more educated than you are on the adverse effects of marihuana on the community?

Just a thought.

Once again, no civil discourse but further belittlement of someone who holds a difference of opinion.

• Upvote 1

Then let's hear about those adverse effects, so we can compare the number of pot horror stories to the ones about meth and heroin.

Cops know less about the affects of drugs than a stay at home blogger/journalist?

Stay at home? That's weirdly personal. But you got me pegged. I do get to work out of my house.

Enjoy all that Dallas/Fort Worth traffic on your daily commute.

Pat Robertson on The 700 Club earlier this month:

"I just think it's shocking how many of these young people wind up in prison and they get turned into hardcore criminals because they had a possession of a very small amount of a controlled substance. The whole thing is crazy. We've said, 'Well, we're conservatives, we're tough on crime.' That's baloney. I really believe we should treat marijuana the way we treat beverage alcohol. If people can go into a liquor store and buy a bottle of alcohol and drink it at home legally, then why do we say that the use of this other substance is somehow criminal?"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/08/pat-robertson-pot-should-be-treated-like-alcohol/

And federal grant money would simply be shifted to other areas of law enforcement, so police administrations would t even lose grant money.

That's not how federal grant money works. There are strings attached. You can't just accept the money for one purpose and redirect it to another.

One thing I think that the groups that want marijuana legalized don't think about is that cigarettes and alcohol are heavily regulated. It would take years (and cost who knows how much) to set up the legal/government infrastructure to regulate the substance.

As I previously mentioned, I doubt companies will be quick to change their drug use policies. That in itself is a whole different can of worms that the government will have to somehow address.

Edited by UNTFan23

That's not how federal grant money works. There are strings attached. You can't just accept the money for one purpose and redirect it to another.

No kidding.

The federal government would redirect the money to different law enforcement initiatives, not the local department taking the money for one thing and using it for another.

Jeez.