BASKETBALL TAILGATE - Feb. 2nd

KRAM1

Come join the Denton Chapter of the UNT Alumni Association for a pre-game tailgate before the Middle Tennessee game on Feb. 2nd beginning at 5PM at the Alumni Association Offices. The Denton Chapter will be providing Hot Dogs, Chips and Beverages, so come on by and join the tailgate. If the weather is not "NICE" we will move the event inside the Alumni Offices...plenty of room...but, we hope the weather will cooperate and we can all TAILGATE OUTSIDE and get ready to help the Mean Green beat Middle Tennessee at 7PM.

The tailgate will end at 6:30PM to give everyone plenty of time to get to the Super Pit for tip-off.

THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR THE TAILGATE! We just ask that you RSVP so we can have a half-way decent headcount for the event. You can RSVP with a PM to me, through the Alumni Association's calendar of events area (it will be up soon for this event) or by calling the Alumni Offices at 940-565-3162 and leaving a message for Rob McKinney regarding your attendance.

Hope to see you there as we support the Mean Green in their march to the Sunbelt Tourney and VICTORY!

In addition...Mean Green Sunbelt Conference Tournament Coins will be on sale for those who have not been able to pick one up as yet. Supplies are limited, so don't wait as you might be disappointed...the coins are great looking and are on sale for $15 each. If you would like to reserve a coin, you may PM me and I'd be happy to reserve one or more of the remaining supply for you.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Nope...with a 5PM start to the tailgate one can come and go as they please....and they can go to the Mean Green Room as well if they so please. With different events at different times folks can select the ones they want to attend and the ones that best fit best within their personal time schedules and likes and dislikes. It's about doing what we can as a chapter, given the schedules of the limited number volunteers the Denton Chapter has, to have some fun and support the Mean Green. And, to, hopefully, maybe help get some folks to the game/s. If you know where the Alumni Offices are you know they are within easy reach of the Super Pit...so, attendees can come and go as they please. I'll definitely be catching some of the women's game, so I don't see it as much of a problem at all....at least for me.

Sometimes, schedules just don't work out the way every single person would like them to work out and I can understand that. If the timing of this doesn't work for you, I will definitely understand why you will not be attending...It has absolutely ZERO to do with supporting one team over the other.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Nope...with a 5PM start to the tailgate one can come and go as they please....and they can go to the Mean Green Room as well if they so please. With different events at different times folks can select the ones they want to attend and the ones that best fit best within their personal time schedules and likes and dislikes. It's about doing what we can as a chapter, given the schedules of the limited number volunteers the Denton Chapter has, to have some fun and support the Mean Green. And, to, hopefully, maybe help get some folks to the game/s. If you know where the Alumni Offices are you know they are within easy reach of the Super Pit...so, attendees can come and go as they please. I'll definitely be catching some of the women's game, so I don't see it as much of a problem at all....at least for me.

Sometimes, schedules just don't work out the way every single person would like them to work out and I can understand that. If the timing of this doesn't work for you, I will definitely understand why you will not be attending...It has absolutely ZERO to do with supporting one team over the other.

KRAM, thanks for taking the time to set this, the basketball game, and the football game up.

If people want to go to the women's game, go. Women's basketball isn't my thing, so I wouldn't be attending, anyway. Nothing wrong with having alternatives.

Mark, put me down for 2. May just be a fly by, but we will make it.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

KRAM, thanks for taking the time to set this, the basketball game, and the football game up.

If people want to go to the women's game, go. Women's basketball isn't my thing, so I wouldn't be attending, anyway. Nothing wrong with having alternatives.

Mark, put me down for 2. May just be a fly by, but we will make it.

Much appreciate your response. Thanks. Got you down for two!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Women's basketball isn't my thing, so I wouldn't be attending, anyway.

I'm surprised how many people feel this way. Karen Aston is arguably the most qualified, and best coach we have working for NT athletics. The only other two that even have an argument I think are Sujay Lama, and John Hedlund, who has never had a losing season (although some feel he may have reached his peak). People need to get over this attitude and support her team, because what she has done with a team that won 5 games last year is unbelievable. The lack of support her team gets frustrates me to no end.

My response has nothing to do with the event, but rather the general attitude towards women's basketball that some have.

• Upvote 4

Coach Jones also has an argument. His turnaround of NT is astounding considering where we were when he arrived.

I agree that JJ has done a good job. Which one is actually the best coach is not the important part of my point. My point is that I don't think Coach Aston is getting even close to as much support as a coach of her caliber (that is being evidenced by this turnaround) deserves.

EDIT: The reason for which appears to be the dismissive attitude toward women's basketball by a lot of people.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1

I'm surprised how many people feel this way. Karen Aston is arguably the most qualified, and best coach we have working for NT athletics. The only other two that even have an argument I think are Sujay Lama, and John Hedlund, who has never had a losing season (although some feel he may have reached his peak). People need to get over this attitude and support her team, because what she has done with a team that won 5 games last year is unbelievable. The lack of support her team gets frustrates me to no end.

My response has nothing to do with the event, but rather the general attitude towards women's basketball that some have.

Some people simply don't care for the game of womens basketball... like me. I hope nothing but the best for Coach K. and the girls I just don't wanna watch it. To be frustrated with people for not watching a sport they dislike is silly.

• Upvote 2

It's that way almost everywhere except for Connecticut and Tennessee though. Just about anywhere else the male team is always gonna draw better than the women's team (unless the guys team is just lousy). I doubt Texas A&M was filling up Reed Arena last season, and they won the National Title.

I don't trash women's ball like some do. But I do think it's a sport you have to be in the arena to really appreciate. It doesn't translate to TV well at all.

Edited by CMJ

It's that way almost everywhere except for Connecticut and Tennessee though. Just about anywhere else the male team is always gonna draw better than the women's team (unless the guys team is just lousy). I doubt Texas A&M was filling up Reed Arena last season, and they won the National Title.

I don't trash women's ball like some do. But I do think it's a sport you have to be in the arena to really appreciate. It doesn't translate to TV well at all.

I get that, and I certainly don't expect sell outs (although it would be really cool if a school of our size could fill every venue for every sport). I just do not get the "Oh, it's womens basketball" argument. It's all NT to me. I guess its just a different way of looking at it.

I'm not a big fan of the women's game, but I'm a big fan of UNT. I try to make all of the ladies games now because KA deserves the support. During the last era I could honestly care less

The best game I ever saw in Hot Springs was the mtsu vs ualr women's championship game in 2010

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 4

I'm not a big fan of the women's game, but I'm a big fan of UNT. I try to make all of the ladies games I can now because I think KA deserves the support. During the last era I could honestly care less

The best game I ever saw in Hot Springs was the mtsu vs ualr women's championship game in 2010

Yeah, that game was epic. I think Alysha Clark from MTSU put up like 52 points.

Folks...I'm sorry, but, I started the thread to let folks know about a tailgate event sponsored by the Denton Chapter of the UNT Alumni Association on Feb. 2nd.

I know it's hard, but in this thread could we try to stay on topic? Please and thank you. Plenty of other threads for general discussion purposes.

If you have thoughts and/or comments about the Tailgate or if you want to RSVP for the event here or through a PM just let me know.

Thanks to all and see you at the Tailgate!

AND, yes, it is a Thursday game..

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 11

Folks...I'm sorry, but, I started the thread to let folks know about a tailgate event sponsored by the Denton Chapter of the UNT Alumni Association on Feb. 2nd.

I know it's hard, but in this thread could we try to stay on topic? Please and thank you. Plenty of other threads for general discussion purposes.

If you have thoughts and/or comments about the Tailgate or if you want to RSVP for the event here or through a PM just let me know.

If you want a platform for announcements, start a blog or a Facebook group.

If you want to start a thread for discussion in an open community, especially one where a not-insignificantly sized group of people are annoyed that this event you're announcing conflicts with an NT athletic event... You have to accept that the conversation might not go exactly as you'd wish.

This is GoMeanGreen. It is not KRAMda. It is not KRAMnma.

Let's see, Kram . . . you don't find anything wrong with scheduling an event that directly conflicts with a women's basketball game . . . just outside the facility where said game will be played . . .

. . . Yet you don't even want talk of UNT women's basketball to intermingle with your precious thread?!? Sorry Kram, you're as wrong as rain on a Sunday picnic on this one.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

MTSU has the best WBB team in the conference as well as the best men's team thus far. The wbb MUT's coach is one big horses' rear, running up the score on anyone he can. I have watched him play his starters late in the second half despite 40 points leads over NT.

I really don't understand NT fans of the men's team who won't support the women's team. Same game, with gifted athletes of both sexes. The NT wbb team has already had one of the biggest turnarounds in NT sports history. You have an opportunity to see probably the biggest BB double header in NT history. See NT play two undefeated conference teams on the same day.

I understand scheduling problems, but just as there are many who have indicated that they will be at the tailgate instead of the game; there will be many such as I who will be at the basketball game not the alumni function. It is my guess that the alumni function will lose more attendance because of scheduling against the WBB game than the WBB will lose fans.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This is a poor move by the Denton Alumni Ass.

To not only schedule it during one of our major sporting events on campus, but worse, to then come on and promote it on a fan website that is dedicated to that sport, is a sorry move in my opinion.

I may not follow every sport as much as I do for other sports, and we can rest assured this would NEVER happen during a ladie's Mean Green SOCCER game? But to me it doesn't matter. It would be just as sorry to schedule it during any athletic event on campus, be it a volleyball or softball game or whatever?

Not good planning on someone's part. Not good at all!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 10
  • Downvote 3

To not only schedule it during one of our major sporting events on campus, but worse, to then come on and promote it on a fan website that is dedicated to that sport, is a sorry move in my opinion.

I may not follow every sport as much as I do for other sports, and we can rest assured this would NEVER happen during a ladie's Mean Green SOCCER game? But to me it doesn't matter. It would be just as sorry to schedule it during any athletic event on campus, be it a volleyball or softball game or whatever?

Rick

Here is a novel idea. If it offends you that much, don't attend.

Edited by NT1978
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

Here is a novel idea. If it offends you that much, don't attend.

It doesn't offend me one bit. But it should offend our ladie's basketball team. Especially when their coach went out of her way on a bad weather night to attend, thus help promote a previous event of his held at Metzlers.

She shows up as requested to help his event and get crapped on in return.

Of course if anyone has been paying attention will have realized by now that Karen Aston is probably getting used to getting crapped on around here?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Let's see, Kram . . . you don't find anything wrong with scheduling an event that directly conflicts with a women's basketball game . . . just outside the facility where said game will be played . . .

. . . Yet you don't even want talk of UNT women's basketball to intermingle with your precious thread?!? Sorry Kram, you're as wrong as rain on a Sunday picnic on this one.

Sorry you feel that way.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rick

Women's soccer games are not scheduled like basketball is...don't see the connection. Sorry you feel that way....I'll keep a cold one on ice for you! And, feel free to blame me if you find the need to place blame on folks trying to do something in support of UNT and its fans. Happy to shoulder the blame....hope it makes you feel better.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2