Iowa Writer takes a swing at Coach Fry

Harry

The Wall Street Journal did a large story recently on former Iowa football coach Hayden Fry and the string of coaches he has spawned through the years.

It’s an excellent piece, pointing out that there are more former Iowa players coaching in the Football Bowl Subdivision than from any other school.

Fry’s coaching tree includes not only Hawkeyes coach Kirk Ferentz but also the three Stoops brothers (Bob, Mike and Mark), Kansas State coach Bill Snyder, Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema, former Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez, former Iowa State and current North Texas coach Dan McCarney, former Western Illinois coach Don Patterson and innumerable assistants. It’s transfere a list.

But the Journal piece also includes some classic Fry poppycock. The publication swallowed everything the crafty old guy told them as gospel, including a tale about his childhood growing up on a ranch near Odessa, Texas. Fry told them his father wouldn’t let him go to school until he had filled the family pickup truck with hay and fed the cows.

“I said, ‘Daddy, we have 2,000 acres and creeks and trees, how am I going to find all those cows?’” Fry told the Journal. “He said, ‘All you have to do is drive out and listen. One cow is the leader, the bell cow. Find the bell cow, and you find the whole herd.”

Nice story. Too bad it’s total fiction.

Read more: http://www.qctimes.com/sports/columnists/doxsie/eye-openers-fry-pulls-out-some-old-tricks/article_50d7a2dc-39b9-11e1-a8cb-001871e3ce6c.html#ixzz1jrf4sOpf

He's from Texas forgodsakes. In Texas, your suppose to bullshit people. And you actually get extra points for good bullshit.

Has anyone ever seen the classic movie "The Rainmaker" starring Burt Lancaster, Kate Hepburn, Earl Holliman, and Lloyd Bridges. As the con-man, Burt Lancaster was always spinning yarns....pretty much Texas style. Lloyd Bridges was the oldest brother and the one fully grounded in facts and figures, with NO IMAGINATION.

Every time I watch that movie, I think about it in terms of UNT when Hayden Fry first arrived. In my musings, Hayden Fry is Burt Lancaster and the UNT administration is Lloyd Bridges. And to take the analogy further, the students and alumni are Kate Hepburn and her brother Earl Holliman, who are yearning for a change in their images..... which Burt Lancaster is trying to teach them to do. And there is Lloyd Bridges (the UNT administration)who is all the time telling them to stop listening to a con man and learn to live with who you are.

Burt Lancaster pulled it off. I'm just sorry that Hayden Fry fell short. Too many Lloyd Bridges to deal with I suppose.

• Upvote 2

He's from Texas forgodsakes. In Texas, your suppose to bullshit people. And you actually get extra points for good bullshit.

Somehow I just knew all along..........

EDIT: In case anyone missed it...that was just susposed to be a joke...I know Silver gets it...

Edited by KRAM1

Wait a minute.

I thought Lloyd Bridges played scuba diver Mike Nelson in "Sea-Hunt." He worked for North Texas ? I took a swimming class back in the 60s from Fred Slack and never saw the bubbles.

You are correct, I remember that Simon and Garfunkel song that was popular while Fry was here..."Lloyd Bridges Under Troubled Waters"

Talked with another fellow alum immediatley after this Fry article hit all the sports websites and we both knew (and laughed) that that writer had been "Hayden'ized."

Fry was a great B.S. artist and we all loved him for it, too.

GMG!

INDEED WE DID!