Chase Walling update

Brett Vito

Until we're filling Apogee on a routine basis it seems a bit petty to be poking fun at SMU or any other program. UNT, SMU, & TCU have more in common than any of us want to admit. One of those being that our major competition for butts-in-seat is the Cowboys, not each other.

GBT

• Upvote 1

Who is it going to spike for SD State? Boise State? Maybe and then after the 40+ point loss then what? Houston and UCF have been in the same conference with them and nobody comes, so just because it is in a difference conference all of the sudden people are going to show up? Is a game against Rutgers going to generate more excitement than a game against Tulsa or USM? I just don't see it I guess.

It's a fair point Glick. SMU essentially dropped teams like UAB, UTEP, Marshall, Memphis, etc. and added Boise, Louisville, Cincy, etc. Sure, if you pit the least popular Big East school (Rutgers) against a top CUSA draw (So Miss), then the spread may not be all that different. On a net basis, it will be very significant.

SMU has to get its alumni to care. However, even if a larger number of alumni all of a sudden become fans, SMU is going to need local fan support. Hopefully the new generation of SMU alumni are more inviting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There are so MANY reasons to poke at SMU, but saying there are "10,000" fans make you look ridiculous, Lifer. This year the average will be around 22k, and that's without a "big game" on the schedule. The home side is almost always full (which is 13,000 +/-). Plus, there are students, visitors, Stadium Club, and the grassy knoll (which is popular and usually pretty full). You're just flat out wrong!

There are two things that lead to the misinformation about numbers.

1) Those numbers are tickets scanned + students. Now, SMU (unfortunately) doesn't allow re-entry so some do scan his/her tickets and then return to the boulevard before the game is over (how do you remove them from your numbers??).

2) They always show the visitor side on TV, which is usually somewhat empty. Ford looks strangely unbalanced as half is packed and the other is pretty empty (unless we're playing TCU, Navy, etc.).

I understand why SMU haters on the UNT board propagate this lie (and it is a LIE). You just lose all credibility when you repeat it over and over and over. Get some new material.

Okay, so you have 16,000 fans, Ford 1/2 full, instead of 10,000.

Don't expect any love over here. I just find it ironic that SMU likes to look down their nose at us and talk about how much better they are, yet here they are trying to steal our recruits. Can't wait to start kicking some Pony ass when the series starts up.

Okay, so you have 16,000 fans, Ford 1/2 full, instead of 10,000.

Don't expect any love over here. I just find it ironic that SMU likes to look down their nose at us and talk about how much better they are, yet here they are trying to steal our recruits. Can't wait to start kicking some Pony ass when the series starts up.

Being as objective as I can, I would say 22k scanned (including student #), 21k made it to their seats (as opposed to just leaving), 19k by half, and 16k by end of game. SMU has to do a better of job of not only getting fans, but getting them to stay (which includes allowing re-entry).

In any case, I'm not looking for love on a UNT board. You've not been shy about your hate, and I'm not one to try and change your mind. I came on here to learn about a recruit SMU is recruiting. The fact is, I honestly feel many UNT fans look for a fight when one isn't there (not to suggest that there aren't some real idiot SMU fans). SMU is trying to build its brand outside of Texas. Playing NTx teams doesn't help with that. It's just that simple.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

SMU is trying to build its brand outside of Texas. Playing NTx teams doesn't help with that. It's just that simple.

You had me until you went here. Maybe (like us, by the by) you should work on building a brand INSIDE THE METROPLEX before seeking grand delusions on the national scene.

One of the funniest things I've seen posted in quide a while.

• Upvote 2

Being as objective as I can, I would say 22k scanned (including student #), 21k made it to their seats (as opposed to just leaving), 19k by half, and 16k by end of game. SMU has to do a better of job of not only getting fans, but getting them to stay (which includes allowing re-entry).

In any case, I'm not looking for love on a UNT board. You've not been shy about your hate, and I'm not one to try and change your mind. I came on here to learn about a recruit SMU is recruiting. The fact is, I honestly feel many UNT fans look for a fight when one isn't there (not to suggest that there aren't some real idiot SMU fans). SMU is trying to build its brand outside of Texas. Playing NTx teams doesn't help with that. It's just that simple.

Most of us are pretty reasonable fans so don't let a couple of haters spoil your perception. I've read your posts and I have found you to be very reasonable. In fact, i appreciate you for coming here and giving us your perspective. I will respectfully disagree with you regarding this, scheduling North Texas will improve your perception outside of the state of Texas because we will help your attendance and get you more coverage here in the DFW media. I think the fact Orsini scheduled us for four years supports this. And whether you would like to admit it or not, there are the makings of a very heated rivalry between North Texas and SMU. SMU represents the rich kids and UNT are the kids across the tracks. To use a Breaking Away analogy its the cutters against the greeks. It has the makings of a classic rivalry.

I know that the powers that be at SMU in the past have said there is no benefit to playing North Texas because if you lose it hurts and if you win nobody cares. I don't buy that. There's no reason why North Texas and SMU can't coexist and be successful. And I think we should take the same approach in terms of UTSA, Texas State etc. We're all on the outside looking in and we need to feed our fanbases. Regional games are a great way to do this.

You're not going to get a lot of love on this board because throughout our history SMU has done everything in their power to bring us down. I realize that it is not you or the average SMU fan but yes I believe SMU's leadership does not want to see North Texas succeed. We're still dealing with negative attitudes at CUSA from all of the crap Turner et al have pounded into them for the last decade or so.

I have stated many times on this board, when I went to high school in Houston you were either a UT or A&M fan with some affinity towards U of H. I personally was a big fan of SMU because they had a great program and were different. I didn't want to follow the cattle and SMU had a dynamic program, they also recruited Craig James (Stratford) who was truly a God if you played or followed football in the Houston area. I felt and still feel the death penalty was unfair. Believe it or not, SMU needs us and we need them; we share in the fact that we both need to address attendance in this pro sports market and I believe we could help each other significantly in that regard.

You had me until you went here. Maybe (like us, by the by) you should work on building a brand INSIDE THE METROPLEX before seeking grand delusions on the national scene.

One of the funniest things I've seen posted in quide a while.

I'm talking about as a school, not as a football team. If you don't understand that a significant % of SMU's students come from outside of Texas, then you don't understand SMU's demographics. Honestly, it's one of the big reasons SMU struggles with attendance -- the students go back to CA, NY, etc. after graduating.

Most of us are pretty reasonable fans so don't let a couple of haters spoil your perception. I've read your posts and I have found you to be very reasonable. In fact, i appreciate you for coming here and giving us your perspective. I will respectfully disagree with you regarding this, scheduling North Texas will improve your perception outside of the state of Texas because we will help your attendance and get you more coverage here in the DFW media. I think the fact Orsini scheduled us for four years supports this. And whether you would like to admit it or not, there are the makings of a very heated rivalry between North Texas and SMU. SMU represents the rich kids and UNT are the kids across the tracks. To use a Breaking Away analogy its the cutters against the greeks. It has the makings of a classic rivalry.

I know that the powers that be at SMU in the past have said there is no benefit to playing North Texas because if you lose it hurts and if you win nobody cares. I don't buy that. There's no reason why North Texas and SMU can't coexist and be successful. And I think we should take the same approach in terms of UTSA, Texas State etc. We're all on the outside looking in and we need to feed our fanbases. Regional games are a great way to do this.

You're not going to get a lot of love on this board because throughout our history SMU has done everything in their power to bring us down. I realize that it is not you or the average SMU fan but yes I believe SMU's leadership does not want to see North Texas succeed. We're still dealing with negative attitudes at CUSA from all of the crap Turner et al have pounded into them for the last decade or so.

I have stated many times on this board, when I went to high school in Houston you were either a UT or A&M fan with some affinity towards U of H. I personally was a big fan of SMU because they had a great program and were different. I didn't want to follow the cattle and SMU had a dynamic program, they also recruited Craig James (Stratford) who was truly a God if you played or followed football in the Houston area. I felt and still feel the death penalty was unfair. Believe it or not, SMU needs us and we need them; we share in the fact that we both need to address attendance in this pro sports market and I believe we could help each other significantly in that regard.

AMEN!

Finally, someone from another era other than the Fry Era has spoken out on this subject that some on this very board have said that such an SMU scenario toward North Texas did not exist and the one who has spoken out just happens to be:

Harry!

Great Post!

PS: We'd love to have Chase but he's not the only fish in the pond, folks.

Harry, I really appreciate your comments. I actually know a number of really good UNT fans (and there are a few good ones that come over and post of PF).

I am certainly in the small minority of SMU fans that don't like the SMU/UNT series. There are a number of reasons why SMU fans like the series, but none of them are compelling to me. Frankly, I would love for SMU to buy it out. Please understand, my position doesn't come from a point of hate or "superiority" over UNT. When I sit here TODAY, I don't see how the series makes sense for SMU.

Attendance: The one big argument in favor of keeping the series is that fans from both schools will travel to the nearby school and boost attendance. I for one think it's pathetic that you have to use visiting fans to fill your stadium (and I'm directing that towards SMU). Kudos to TCU in this area. SMU needs to get to the point where they can sell 10k more tickets, and then the visiting team fans will be virtually irrelevant. Almost any team SMU schedules will fill the remaining spots (except for the those UCF guys, what in the world??). You mentioned that Orsini thought this was a good idea, which is why he scheduled it for four years. I would bet $1,000 that SO scheduled this to help SMU build its resume to get into a BCS conference. Nobody knew the World would change so quickly and that spots would open when they did. I have doubts he would schedule it today.

SMU Travel Convenience: One of the reasons some SMU fans like the series is because they'll be able to travel up to Denton for the game. When they go to the Big East and only have Houston as a "travel partner", regional OOC games will be popular to "feed the fans". Two SMU games per year are already committed in NTx: TCU and Baylor. I personally don't believe SMU needs a 3rd game in the NTx area. There are many other good regional options: Rice, A&M (which we have for 3 years – at this point), UT, Tech, La Tech, the Ok schools, Tulane, etc.

The "no-win" Scenario: This is the one I'm sure will send passionate UNT fans into a fit of rage, so I saved it for last. I honestly don't wish ill will towards UNT, so I do wish that you get your chance to move up in the conference ranks. For now though, there is a rather large gap between the Big East and Sunbelt. Who knows what's going to happen going forward so the gap may close substantially. HOWEVER, for NOW there is a gap and certain expectations that accompany the gap. Like you said, if SMU wins the response is "so?". If SMU loses is "bahahahahah".

In any case, I understand this will likely receive 20 "negative" marks. Just know it's honest and it's exactly would I would say to your face if we were sitting in a bar having a beer. While I don't have a single drop of hate in my heart when it comes to UNT, the school is still a competitor -- one that SMU does and should take seriously.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Harry, I really appreciate your comments. I actually know a number of really good UNT fans (and there are a few good ones that come over and post of PF).

I am certainly in the small minority of SMU fans that don't like the SMU/UNT series. There are a number of reasons why SMU fans like the series, but none of them are compelling to me. Frankly, I would love for SMU to buy it out. Please understand, my position doesn't come from a point of hate or "superiority" over UNT. When I sit here TODAY, I don't see how the series makes sense for SMU.

Attendance: The one big argument in favor of keeping the series is that fans from both schools will travel to the nearby school and boost attendance. I for one think it's pathetic that you have to use visiting fans to fill your stadium (and I'm directing that towards SMU). Kudos to TCU in this area. SMU needs to get to the point where they can sell 10k more tickets, and then the visiting team fans will be virtually irrelevant. Almost any team SMU schedules will fill the remaining spots (except for the those UCF guys, what in the world??). You mentioned that Orsini thought this was a good idea, which is why he scheduled it for four years. I would bet $1,000 that SO scheduled this to help SMU build its resume to get into a BCS conference. Nobody knew the World would change so quickly and that spots would open when they did. I have doubts he would schedule it today.

SMU Travel Convenience: One of the reasons some SMU fans like the series is because they'll be able to travel up to Denton for the game. When they go to the Big East and only have Houston as a "travel partner", regional OOC games will be popular to "feed the fans". Two SMU games per year are already committed in NTx: TCU and Baylor. I personally don't believe SMU needs a 3rd game in the NTx area. There are many other good regional options: Rice, A&M (which we have for 3 years – at this point), UT, Tech, La Tech, the Ok schools, Tulane, etc.

The "no-win" Scenario: This is the one I'm sure will send passionate UNT fans into a fit of rage, so I saved it for last. I honestly don't wish ill will towards UNT, so I do wish that you get your chance to move up in the conference ranks. For now though, there is a rather large gap between the Big East and Sunbelt. Who knows what's going to happen going forward so the gap may close substantially. HOWEVER, for NOW there is a gap and certain expectations that accompany the gap. Like you said, if SMU wins the response is "so?". If SMU loses is "bahahahahah".

In any case, I understand this will likely receive 20 "negative" marks. Just know it's honest and it's exactly would I would say to your face if we were sitting in a bar having a beer. While I don't have a single drop of hate in my heart when it comes to UNT, the school is still a competitor -- one that SMU does and should take seriously.

I pretty much understand all the points your'e trying to make...your "no-win" scenario is blunt but I think it probably is the truth...perception wise beating UNT RIGHT NOW won't help but losing to UNT RIGHT NOW will be a laugher to the general public. While I do think it is a little ridiculous to have that type of mentality...I certainly understand it.

Your best comment was when you stated that it is ridiculous to rely on other schools' fans to fill up your won stadium. I wholeheartedly agree with you. In changing to a better conference I don't want to do that because it will have a good amount of traveling fans that will help us fill our stadium. That is complete BS because I wan't our own fans to recognize the school we're playing and fill our stadium with our own fans. We shouldn't rely on other school's fans especially considering the size of our school.

All that said tho I've always said that If UNT keeps on winning and winning with wreckless abandon then things will fall into place and other conference will want us to join them as well as other schools wanting to play us.

Edited by Green Mean
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Your best comment was when you stated that it is ridiculous to rely on other schools' fans to fill up your won stadium. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

You're both living in fantasy land. Would it be best if our stadium was filled to over-flowing with our own fans? Yes - but that ain't the case. Right now - and for the foreseeable future - we need any butt we can get in our seats. If some of those butts are from SMU or TCU - FINE. The same holds true for the church schools - schedule us and your stadium will be filled. Schedule Marshall - not so much.

Jeeeeeeeeze

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You're wrong. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you are flat wrong there. I'm not saying ya'll don't have x amount of fans, but seriously, there's no way 21k were at every game. That means the stadium is 2/3 full. Care to show us some crowd shots of these games in question?

Again, you're wrong. The same way UNT was wrong in its last game counting the attendance. The difference between us though, we did it for one game to ensure getting an attendance record, you guys do it every game and then act like it never happened, trying not to put out too many crowd pics, same with the cheating scandal. No one will forget that SMU is a bunch of money grubbing cheaters

Funny when a sun belt team who hasn't had a winning season in 7 years outdraws a big east team who just went to a bowl game, isn't it?

• Upvote 2

BigPonyFan, my problem is that coming on here to find information on a player SMU is recruiting is one thing, but doing it when the player has already committed to us reeks of trying to rub our nose in it. You want to know about Walling? Go to Rivals, Scout or some other website that provides that information. Don't come on here acting like you want to learn about one of our recruits because your school hopes to steal him.

Outside of that, you seem alright although I will never care about SMU, and have a tough time believing your attendance figures, not believing our schools don't benefit playing each other or believing your school will ever be anything other than a bottom rung Big East school. Blunt, but true. Happy New Year.

Sorry I'm not as accommodating as others on here, but SMU is really the only team/school I feel this way about.

• Upvote 1

I'm talking about as a school, not as a football team. If you don't understand that a significant % of SMU's students come from outside of Texas, then you don't understand SMU's demographics. Honestly, it's one of the big reasons SMU struggles with attendance -- the students go back to CA, NY, etc. after graduating.

Seriously??? You say that SMU is trying to build outside of Texas and thats why they shouldn't play UNT in football (which I could care less about), then turn around in the very next post and say something completely confusing about building fan bases that live thousands of miles away and you are not talking about football, which is ALL we have been talking about?

Ok?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

You're both living in fantasy land. Would it be best if our stadium was filled to over-flowing with our own fans? Yes - but that ain't the case. Right now - and for the foreseeable future - we need any butt we can get in our seats. If some of those butts are from SMU or TCU - FINE. The same holds true for the church schools - schedule us and your stadium will be filled. Schedule Marshall - not so much.

Jeeeeeeeeze

As bad as we have been the last several years we could still get about 15-17k people to come to our games...with the new stadium and consistent winning then call me crazy but there is no reason for me to believe we can't consistently get 25-30k of our own fans coming to the games even against sunbelt opponents. Just my thought.

As for scheduling Marshall...I'm all for it...people actually know Marshall. I think we'd get a great turnout scheduling Marshall.

One of the things SMU folks always say is how well known they're known nationally and worldwide and how big their brand is. This is a first that I've heard an SMU person say something like this. So why have the need to expand your brand? wink.gif

Honestly...SMU's attendance won't be an issue if you guys are able to get ranked frequently and build something similar to what TCU has done. I don't mean to create any kind of rift but I have friends all over the country and have met people from all walks of life and I can guarantee you that pretty much most of them except for maybe a few have never heard of SMU. This is why athletics is so important for a university's profile.

• Upvote 2

As bad as we have been the last several years we could still get about 15-17k people to come to our games...with the new stadium and consistent winning then call me crazy but there is no reason for me to believe we can't consistently get 25-30k of our own fans coming to the games even against sunbelt opponents. Just my thought.

As for scheduling Marshall...I'm all for it...people actually know Marshall. I think we'd get a great turnout scheduling Marshall.

Yeah, I'd rather schedule Marshall over Middle Tennessee or Florida International. I'd much rather schedule TCU, SMU, Baylor, & Tech. Our fans are more excited about playing Texas schools and those schools bring their fans. That makes for a great atmosphere and it adds to attendance.

Damn I miss the SWC. Heck, after watching UNT play Monroe, I miss the SLC.

GBT

Yeah, I'd rather schedule Marshall over Middle Tennessee or Florida International. I'd much rather schedule TCU, SMU, Baylor, & Tech. Our fans are more excited about playing Texas schools and those schools bring their fans. That makes for a great atmosphere and it adds to attendance.

Damn I miss the SWC. Heck, after watching UNT play Monroe, I miss the SLC.

GBT

When NT was in the SLC, UL-Monroe was called Northeast Louisiana State. Same school, just a different name. NT needs to transfer worrying about who the opponent is and just beat the shit out of whoever it is playing. Fans need to support their school and give no concern to the names of the opponents.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When NT was in the SLC, UL-Monroe was called Northeast Louisiana State. Same school, just a different name. NT needs to transfer worrying about who the opponent is and just beat the shit out of whoever it is playing. Fans need to support their school and give no concern to the names of the opponents.

Yes yes yes... 10 or 11 wins every year... If we win, it won't matter what "club" we are in. Win and dominate... Our alums will notice...all will take care of itself

The thing is - I just don't see much difference between the Sun Belt and the South Land. I want better for UNT than either. And yes, the opponent does matter. If you think it doesn't, compare UNT's home attendance for SBC games vs non-conference games.

GBT

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The thing is - I just don't see much difference between the Sun Belt and the South Land. I want better for UNT than either. And yes, the opponent does matter. If you think it doesn't, compare UNT's home attendance for SBC games vs non-conference games.

GBT

That's not exactly a fair argument. The combination of terrible money game scheduling and not performing well is what kills attendance by the time conference play rolls around. Look at Lafayette this year. The only tough game they played was Ok State, and their attendance was awesome. If we go 3-1 in OOC and head into conference play, we would be pushing 30k as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1