Occupy Denton honors deceased member through vigil

Ann Smajstrla / Staff Writer - Occupy Denton held a vigil Monday evening in remembrance of Darwin Cox, the 23-year-old man who was found dead at the occupy site Saturday. About 100 people filled the Physics Building Room 102 to attend the event, said Occupy Denton member and physics doctoral student Ricardo Correa. "it's a great pleasure to see this room nearly full with people sharing their pain, Correa said, Sharing their hopes, sharing what experiences [Cox] has left us with and the things that we will miss most about a very idealistic and generous young man. Occupy Denton members [...]

View the full article

Ann Smajstrla / Staff Writer - Occupy Denton held a vigil Monday evening in remembrance of Darwin Cox, the 23-year-old man who was found dead at the occupy site Saturday. About 100 people filled the Physics Building Room 102 to attend the event, said Occupy Denton member and physics doctoral student Ricardo Correa. "it's a great pleasure to see this room nearly full with people sharing their pain, Correa said, Sharing their hopes, sharing what experiences [Cox] has left us with and the things that we will miss most about a very idealistic and generous young man. Occupy Denton members [...]

View the full article

I can't believe we used a classroom for this garbage. They should've used a bar on Fry St.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

...About 100 people filled the Physics Building Room 102 to attend the event...

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?

You've GOT to be kidding me?!?! UNT not only allowed this to happen on Campus due to an INCREDIBLE lack of judgement on the part of the administration, so now they compound it by allowing this on campus as well. Disappointing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Fellow human being? Yes.

North Texas alumnus, student, faculty member, or employee? No.

The event was organized and attended by UNT students who apparently believed that someone meaningful in their lives passing on the UNT campus merited some sort of symbol of remembrance. Seems reasonable...

as it also seems reasonable to deduce that the only reason this is drawing the ire of some of you not because of the actual circumstance, but rather your own assumptions of who this man was and what he and this movement represent.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The event was organized and attended by UNT students who apparently believed that someone meaningful in their lives passing on the UNT campus merited some sort of symbol of remembrance. Seems reasonable...

as it also seems reasonable to deduce that the only reason this is drawing the ire of some of you not because of the actual circumstance, but rather your own assumptions of who this man was and what he and this movement represent.

I don't care about what the movement represents. I do not have an opinion on the politics of the situation. I care about a tent city being erected on OUR beautiful campus by a bunch of transients. Free speech areas should be limited to student protesters only.

If you want to see who this man was, watch this video. His choice to squat on our campus has caused us negative press and hopefully has not deterred prospective students from choosing our university.

Edited by Cr1028

I don't care about what the movement represents. I do not have an opinion on the politics of the situation. I care about a tent city being erected on OUR beautiful campus by a bunch of transients. Free speech areas should be limited to student protesters only.

If you want to see who this man was, watch this video. His choice to squat on our campus has caused us negative press and hopefully has not deterred prospective students from choosing our university.

So why are self-admitted "non-students" allowed to camp out on the campus and then use campus facilities for another non-student?

Did they pay to rent the room? or are they an official SO?

Transients...and apparently also UNT students and Denton locals.

Also...for unintentional comedy, one could do much worse than your last line.

Transients...and apparently also UNT students and Denton Locals

I don't know why Denton Locals would be allowed to camp on UNT property. ...and when I was a student, I certainly didn't have the freedom to live on campus in a tent Rent-Free.

It just shouldn't have been allowed. It's really a shame this young man died. I would be sad for him and his family regardless of location, but this mess being on the UNT campus and that mistake being compounded by university resources being expended on a memorial service for someone in no way associated with the University is just crazy.

• Upvote 1