Big East Expansion Update

Harry

The delays in the formal announcement regarding Big East expansion appear to be due to two factors. 1) Boise and Air Force are pushing for a western division travel partner as well as a home for their non revenue sports. reports indicate they specifically want BYU (who appears to be interested). 2) They want make the announcement as a unified group not piecemeal-- which makes sense.

BYU is seriously considering joining the Big East Conference as a football member, a Big East source told ESPN's Joe Schad on Tuesday night.

Houston, UCF and SMU are ready to join the Big East. But Air Force and Boise State are interested in hearing more about how the western component of the conference would be composed, the source said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7239769/byu-cougars-seriously-considering-big-east-football-source-says

one problem, besides AFA having 2nd thoughts, is that neither Cincinnati nor Louisville are willing to play in a Western Division. the Big East solution is to move UCF west where they would join Houston,SMU,AFC,Bosie,and BYU. UCF would then be allowed to play South Florida annually. makes as much geographical sense as Missouri to SEC Eastern Division, but more sense that bringing in SDSU for football only.

One of my co-workers, a Houston grad, said that the BE is trying to get it done before Saturday where they can officially announce it during ESPN's College Gameday, which is going to be live from Houston for the Houston-SMU game.

GO DAWGS! BEAT NEVADA!

Thanks Scott --that makes a lot of sense. I think everyone is ready for the chips to fall one way or the other at this point.

one problem, besides AFA having 2nd thoughts, is that neither Cincinnati nor Louisville are willing to play in a Western Division. the Big East solution is to move UCF west where they would join Houston,SMU,AFC,Bosie,and BYU. UCF would then be allowed to play South Florida annually. makes as much geographical sense as Missouri to SEC Eastern Division, but more sense that bringing in SDSU for football only.

I'm right there with you. Don't be surprised if Cincinnati and Louisville end up making up the balance of the Big XII either.

It's all about money, I'm sure, not about what the fans want or what makes any sort of sense. No doubt. ...just seems odd to me. I just hope we can all agree to make new, more logical names for these leagues after all this shuffling is done.

Conference USA - Genius in naming. No geographic or numerical things to screw up.

BYU is going to be in the Big EAST?! That makes perfect sense.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a change in the conference name with all the new non-traditional east coast teams potentially entering the conference. PAC and Big are all used up...maybe "Hoard of # or Super Colossus #" :huh:

It wouldn't surprise me to see a change in the conference name with all the new non-traditional east coast teams potentially entering the conference. PAC and Big are all used up...maybe "Hoard of # or Super Colossus #" :huh:

I believe that the Big East's hands are tied unless and until the twelve football schools breakaway from the eight basketball schools. Then there should be some kind of settlement on NCAA money and the two can go their separate ways.