IU Coach "Embarrased" over defense's performance

Harry

BLOOMINGTON -- Forget the Indiana football depth chart. It’s as relevant as New England’s unbeaten season hopes.

Oh, yes. Defensive co-coordinator Mike Ekeler is ticked.

“There is no depth chart at this point,” he said. “We’re not gonna watch that. That’s not gonna be representative of who we are. We’re gonna fix it. That’s why we were brought here. That’s not the standard we’re gonna set.”

The Hoosiers are 1-3 and enter Saturday’s Big Ten opener against Penn State (3-1) with zero momentum. They got manhandled by a previously winless North Texas team on Saturday three weeks after being manhandled by Ball State and a week after setting a school record for most penalties.

“We had 28 loafs (not hustling plays) and I think it was 18 missed tackles,” Ekeler said about the 24-21 loss to North Texas. “That was an embarrassment.

“We didn’t come to play. That’s on me. I take it very personal. I’m embarrassed that that tape is out there on how we looked on defense. We had guys playing like they were scared. Scared to put their face on somebody.”

Could that be right? Was a Big Ten team really scared against a Sun Belt Conference squad?

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110926/SPORTS/110929683/1002

This post has been promoted to an article

From the end zone, the IU kick returners looked as if they didn't want to be there. Little energy, emotion. Jogged out and took their place.

Most kick returners you see jumping around and energetic before the kick. These guys just kind of stood there and waited for the kick. Our wedge buster - Marshall, #15 - blew up their kick return blocking all night long.

UNT won because they manhandled IU at the line of scrimmage. The MG played hard and took IU out of the game physically. Whatever contributed to it is of no consequence--I agree.

When's the last time we said something like that about our lines?

This coaching staff is doing a good job. Indiana was being coached by a former OU coordinator, with plenty of skins on the wall as well. McCarney outcoached him.

From the end zone, the IU kick returners looked as if they didn't want to be there. Little energy, emotion. Jogged out and took their place.

Most kick returners you see jumping around and energetic before the kick. These guys just kind of stood there and waited for the kick. Our wedge buster - Marshall, #15 - blew up their kick return blocking all night long.

Marshall went hard every single time. The last kick, he wound up injured. But, as he was wincing in pain, they taped him up heavily... he was ready to go back in. If all of our walk-ons are as tough as this dude, I'm happy to have them!