Youth Player Tackles Ref, Brawl Follows

The worst part is that the coaches for the kid's team started it by throwing water bottles.

And threw the ref's cap.

I hope they make an example of this type of behavior.

This school's team needs to be disbanded. Not to mention individual punishments (firings, expulsions, criminal charges) to be handed out.

This school's team needs to be disbanded. Not to mention individual punishments (firings, expulsions, criminal charges) to be handed out.

It's a youth league, not associated with any schools. But the local school district has banned them from playing on any of their fields. Apparently this is not their first incident.

That coach trying to defend this crap is just pathetic, using well you did not see what happened is a poor excuse for an adult to act this way. As for the little punk who attacked the referee, he obviously could use a good butt-whipping\attitude adjustment with a nice 3 ft long paddle

Well, it's more "common" than you realize. As many of you know I ref soccer most weekends during two seasons each year. I have worked most every level, and I can tell you it is most of the time the parents and the coaches that give you the most concern and trouble. The players often take their cue from their parents and coaches. The players you can pretty well control if you "take charge" of the game from the beginning, but you just never know what to expect from the "adults".

If you are the parent of a youth player or a youth coach, watch this video carefully and vow to never be the parent of that kid and never to act as these coaches and parents did. The example you set will be remembered by your kid for the rest of their lives...and, you are often an embarrassment to your child when you yell and scream and get into altercations on the sidelines, etc....don't be "that guy" or that "lady" and yes, the ladies are just as bad as the men in many cases.

Just to follow up, three of the coaches and the player that made the flying tackle were all arrested.

All four have been charged with felony battery on a sports official and the team has been ejected from the league.

How old is the kid? A felony?

The parents/coaches... sure. They're old enough to be held accountable with felony charges... but the kid?

How old is the kid? A felony?

The parents/coaches... sure. They're old enough to be held accountable with felony charges... but the kid?

from the original article:

"The fight that quickly turned into a mob scene was apparently over a disputed call in the game among the two junior teams ages 13 and 14."

So that would make the "kid" a teenager and the article also states that assaulting a game official is a felony in Florida. Even if he gets convicted of a felony I didn't see anything where they are trying to charge him as an adult so it looks like he will still be in the juvenile justice system.

Are you saying that a 13 or 14 year old kid shouldn't be responsible for his own actions?

from the original article:

"The fight that quickly turned into a mob scene was apparently over a disputed call in the game among the two junior teams ages 13 and 14."

So that would make the "kid" a teenager and the article also states that assaulting a game official is a felony in Florida. Even if he gets convicted of a felony I didn't see anything where they are trying to charge him as an adult so it looks like he will still be in the juvenile justice system.

Are you saying that a 13 or 14 year old kid shouldn't be responsible for his own actions?

No. I'm not saying that... but a FELONY? I understand it was assault, and I understand the law is the law, but to dig a little further, does it not differentiate between a hormonal teenager and a grown man? I certainly hope trying him on a felony as an adult is off the table. The kid certainly needs to be in trouble for sure though.

No. I'm not saying that... but a FELONY? I understand it was assault, and I understand the law is the law, but to dig a little further, does it not differentiate between a hormonal teenager and a grown man? I certainly hope trying him on a felony as an adult is off the table. The kid certainly needs to be in trouble for sure though.

If he hit a cop, firefighter or judge would you feel different about him being charged with a felony? How about sexual assault, robbery, or arson? If the crime he committed is a felony in his state then that is what he should be charged with. Let the courts decide his punishment if he is found guilty. I do hope that he is kept in the juvenile justice system, provided this is his first serious offense.

I think this is a very serious offense. Lord knows I have fussed at an official (or 50) in my time, but there are lines you just shouldn't cross. Actually assaulting a sports official (and in a pretty violent manner in this case) is crossing a big red line deserving of serious charges.

If he hit a cop, firefighter or judge would you feel different about him being charged with a felony? How about sexual assault, robbery, or arson? If the crime he committed is a felony in his state then that is what he should be charged with. Let the courts decide his punishment if he is found guilty. I do hope that he is kept in the juvenile justice system, provided this is his first serious offense.

I think this is a very serious offense. Lord knows I have fussed at an official (or 50) in my time, but there are lines you just shouldn't cross. Actually assaulting a sports official (and in a pretty violent manner in this case) is crossing a big red line deserving of serious charges.

The differentiation is on how you are tried and sentenced as a minor, not on the crime you committed. A felony is a felony.