Dallas Morning New - Today

scrappyman1

I hope that I am not the only one who noticed every team in the area except UNT in todays

sport section of the Dallas Morning News, evidently, their writer in Denton (Brett) was

to lazy as usual to post anything when everyone else did. We wonder why we are not prevelant

in Dallas then there is one reason. Our Poor to say the least coverage in the Dallas paper.

It is a shame how little coverage we get in the paper compared to what we got five years

ago. I guess Brett is just too busy covering the local high schools to give North Texas

the coverage they deserve. We have a new coach, a new stadium, and new mind set, with the

same old P---Poor coverage of our university. It is a shame to say the least. That is nothing

compared to the non-coverage of the FWS Telegram. We need to all e-mail both papers asking

for the coverage we deserve.

GO NORTH TEXAS --- GO MEAN GREEN

SCRAPPYMAN 1

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

You said we get alot worse coverage then 5 years ago? i dont mean to piss anyone off...but we have SUCKED in football these last 5 years. Even though we have a bunch of great things going on for our university, and coach mac is leading a revival of our football team (FIWHO? IS GOING DOWN TOMORROW) we need to give the dallas paper a REASON to write about us....and that starts with wins. Success on the Field = Publicity off of it!!!

GO Mean Green!

• Upvote 3

From the past 6 seasons we don't deserve any coverage whatsoever. Just win and everything will cure itself.

True. There are only so many "UNT's New Stadium..." and "UNT's New Coach..." stories that the wayward sports fan would want to read about. Maybe they can sneak in a Lance Dunbar story every once in a while.

Start winning, and then the team becomes interesting to that same fan. Keep winning and maybe certain star players will become interesting as well. Beat Alabama and UNT will be on the front page with a huge headline. It's all about winning. The right attitude, coach, & stadium is in place. Now win.

• Upvote 1

Space is limited in today's major newspapers. If UNT isn't selling papers, then there isn't any reason to save room for them. I promise you this has nothing to do with Vito being lazy.

If you want more UNT coverage then we need to get more fans that will click their links and buy their papers. In order to get those types of fans, we need to do one thing: win.

Blame the lack of the coverage on a bad football team the past six seasons.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't feel slighted because this was a somewhat special situation. Six former Southwest Conference members had games against one another this coming weekend. They even brought Bill DeOre back to draw the mascot caricatures for this situation.

Now if UNT gets omitted in tomorrow's paper I'll cancel my subscription and I hope that others would also.

Now if UNT gets omitted in tomorrow's paper I'll cancel my subscription and I hope that others would also.

I did last year. They have tried several times to get me back and I enjoy telling them what needs to change with their coverage. I don't miss it at all! :thumbsu:

• Downvote 4

I have called and emailed sports reporters on the major networks in the past asking for more coverage. Basically, they cover the Big 3 in Texas and OU(for some reason) and will show the score for UNT but have limited time left to show highlights.

I hope that changes this year.

I have called and emailed sports reporters on the major networks in the past asking for more coverage. Basically, they cover the Big 3 in Texas and OU(for some reason) and will show the score for UNT but have limited time left to show highlights.

I hope that changes this year.

If we win then maybe it will.

BUT...

For sure, if Lee (move UNT to downtown Dallas) Jackson gets his way then it will change.

:growl:

I hope that I am not the only one who noticed every team in the area except UNT in todays sport section of the Dallas Morning News, evidently, their writer in Denton (Brett) was to lazy as usual to post anything when everyone else did. We wonder why we are not prevelant in Dallas then there is one reason. Our Poor to say the least coverage in the Dallas paper. It is a shame how little coverage we get in the paper compared to what we got five years ago. I guess Brett is just too busy covering the local high schools to give North Texas the coverage they deserve. We have a new coach, a new stadium, and new mind set, with the same old P---Poor coverage of our university. It is a shame to say the least. That is nothing compared to the non-coverage of the FWS Telegram. We need to all e-mail both papers asking for the coverage we deserve. GO NORTH TEXAS --- GO MEAN GREEN SCRAPPYMAN 1

First off for the record, Vito covers UNT and ONLY UNT. He doesn't go cover high school stuff for the DRC/DMN. As for lazy, were you there last night to see the Mean Green volleyball team kick the crap out of UTA? Because Brett was. Also, it's obvious you completely missed the DRC Football Preview magazine, with 15 full pages of UNT coverage and a special glossy center section all about Apogee Stadium.

And second, are you for real? You're pissed because they didn't talk about UNT in a story about six former conference mates playing each other, instead of playing FCS schools to start the season? Dude come on. I bleed as green as anybody on here, but I also understand when the DMN doesn't do a write-up about a team that hasn't won back-to-back home games in nearly half a decade playing a non-televised game 1,300 miles away in another time zone.

Also who's to say that Brett didn't write a UNT/FIU preview and the DMN dropped because of all the A&M to the SEC crap?

• Upvote 5

Plain and simple fact: Brett Vito does a better job covering the Mean Green than any other reporter ever has. We have had several excellent beat writers but none who have provided the amount of information that we currently receive. He has the Mean Green Blog that he updates at least daily, and usually several times more during athletic events. He not only follows recruiting, but proactively contacts just about every player that commits to North Texas.

Is Brett a cheerleader for the program, no. Does he have fun jabbing tidbits at the fans concerning the greatness of a certain former coach that we hired from a certain school to the south that shall remain nameless, yes.

Frankly, we're spoiled. Brett has won several awards, has an excellent reputation in his industry, and will not be staying at a small regional affiliate paper forever. Brett has established himself as an integral part of our Mean Green family and we are all going to miss his tireless dedication when he's moved on to better opportunities.

And it is no fault of Brett Vito if the Dallas Morning News elects not to print the North Texas stories from it's Denton affiliate. They will print them if they perceive that it is something that their readers want, and readers demand stories when their team actually accomplishes something.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1