Signature Non Conference Win

Harry

Dallas Morning News had an article on SMU in regards to make the next step level of respectability will require a win against a name opponent. We may not be there yet but there are some opportunities this year. I was trying to think of our last "name" win and I'm guessing Texas Tech back when Dickey was here.

I don't think we have had one since the Tennessee game in the Frye years. .

Texas Tech in the Dickey years was not Texas Tech in the Leach years. Tech just wasn't a national program back then.

I had hope for this at Oklahoma (2003) and Arkansas (2003), but, sadly, it was not to be.

Houston would be a step, as would Indiana, but until we beat a big boy (Texas in 2014?), that elusive signature non-conference victory remains just that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Gagree. Signature wins don't mean squat if you can't consistently beat teams in your own conference and in you're level so to speak. We need to first start beating SBC mates as well as beatable non conference games such as the Indiana's, Ohio's, Ball State's of the worlds. Once we get that then the next thing would be able to compete with the big boys and eventually get signature wins.

• Upvote 1

And to get consistent signature wins, UNT has to recruit and develop FBS size players. Coach McCarney has made this his mission from the get go. He gets it. Currently, we are too small to really compete for those signature wins.

Edited by DeepGreen

I don't think we have had one since the Tennessee game in the Frye years. .

Texas Tech in the Dickey years was not Texas Tech in the Leach years. Tech just wasn't a national program back then.

I had hope for this at Oklahoma (2003) and Arkansas (2003), but, sadly, it was not to be.

Houston would be a step, as would Indiana, but until we beat a big boy (Texas in 2014?), that elusive signature non-conference victory remains just that.

In our neck of the woods, though, beating Texas Tech has as much (I'd argue more) cachet and water cooler power than beating a 5-loss Tennessee team in the 70's. At worst, they're both signature wins.

Is beating Tech a signature win for a BCS school? Nah. But for NT, a few years out of 1-AA, in Lubbock? Heck yes it was... Twice. It's not like the Spike Dykes teams were pushovers.

That game where we trounced Baylor was big for me. I know Baylor isn't one of the big boys, but they are a BCS team and beating them so badly in addition to going undefeated in conference gave us some respect. I still look back on that as a great time for UNT, and it was my best experience at Fouts.

That game where we trounced Baylor was big for me. I know Baylor isn't one of the big boys, but they are a BCS team and beating them so badly in addition to going undefeated in conference gave us some respect. I still look back on that as a great time for UNT, and it was my best experience at Fouts.

Totally agree. I'd like better, and it wasn't "national" per se, but that was an awesome win, just absolutely dominating them like that.

We almost pulled off a W in the K-State game last year. That would have been awesome to close out Fouts with a win. However, we did start picking up steam after the Dodge departure. I've never paid much attention to college football until a couple years ago. I'm fully bought in now with my season tickets! I'm so excited about the Saturdays to come. Looking forward to the tailgating and watching Dunbar up his draft stock.

• Upvote 1