Mike Leach Re-visited

SHOSS

Its still makes me laugh that so many thought Leach would even be a candidate for this job. His ego and his pocketbook would have never allowed himself to be the coach at UNT right after leaving Tech. He will coach again, but it will not be anywhere better than where he last coached. He has MWC or lower rung ACC/PAC-12 written all over him. His next stop will be at a place like Washington State or New Mexico. Either of those places would be a perfect fit for his personality. For guys like him and Leavitt--just like it was for Neuheisel--they will have to pay their dues before they can get back into coaching again at a decent place.

People please, think about what you're saying. One thing has been missing more than any other from this program over the last four years and that is DEFENSE! DEFENSE has never been Mike leach's strong suit. I am absolutely thrilled we have a coach with a mind for defense. Giving up 40-50 pts/gm is BS!!

Leach gave an awesome interview on 790 in Houston this morning. According to Leach (I haven't time to fact-check), during his time as head coach of TTU:

Tech had the highest graduation rate of football players of any public university

They won more games than any other coaching staff at Tech

Won more bowl games than all other Tech coaches combined

Tech had some of their best season records ever

That's what I can remember off the top of my head. Not a bad mix of results on and off the field, especially considering his tenure was during some of OU, OSU, and UT's best seasons. Plus he's funny.

Leach gave an awesome interview on 790 in Houston this morning. According to Leach (I haven't time to fact-check), during his time as head coach of TTU:

Tech had the highest graduation rate of football players of any public university

That's what I can remember off the top of my head. Not a bad mix of results on and off the field, especially considering his tenure was during some of OU, OSU, and UT's best seasons. Plus he's funny.

You forgot to mention that he's also a kook. Highest grad rate of any public university...does he mean D1 public university? You know, a lot of that stuff is probably true and lots of Tech fans wish the guy was still at Tech, but if it was all so wonderful while he was there, why is not still there? I do think there is more to being a head coach than just winning...might want to check with DD about that.

Leach is a great interview and reporters rarely have to work hard when they interview the guy. I like to hear him give an interview...much more exciting than listening to Papa Joe Paterno (and others), but I still would not want him to be UNT's head coach. I like the guy UNT hired. let's see how he does in the next few years. Me, I'm guessing he does just fine.

GO MEAN GREEN and Why Not North Texas!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

:lol:

He is funny, for sure. Enjoy listening to him. I will CheckFacts for you.

Grad rate: Who knows. Probably true.

Won more bowl games...etc.: True. He had 10 bowls in 10 years. Won most of them. Dykes had 7 in 14 years. Lost most.

Some of the best season records ever: True. Lost in this joy is that their best season ever got them a Big 12 South title, and a trip to the Cotton Bowl. In those 10 years, TT finished T2nd twice. The rest were ties for 3rd, or 4th place. Dykes had a SWC title, and 7 T2nds in the SWC/B12 South.

Leach got TT in the top 25 5 times in 10 years. Dykes had 2 appearances in 14. That's where Leach made TT more of a household name. I regard Leach as having a better career at Tech than Dykes, but not by the leaps and bounds that most view his tenure. He did go up against some very good teams, but then so did Dykes.

Bottom line is that Tech has the same issues it will always have--it is a regional school with perceived deficiencies in location, academics, and support when compared to the bigger dogs in its conference.