Who will lead UNT on the field in 2012?

Harry

For me I look to sophomore middle linebacker Zach Orr (6-0, 240). Last season he played as a true freshman in all 12 games and ranked second on the team with 60 tackles on the season. He also led the team with 13 special teams tackles. I see him as an immediate starter that turns out to be one of the best in the Sun Belt by mid season. I think he will embrace the defensive schemes drawn up by defensive coordinator Clint Bowen and excel. Should be fun to watch!

As far as Linebackers are concerned.... I gotta tell ya.... I expect if all things remain constant that Brad Graham and Orr will combine to be a Bash Brothers situation. On top of those two we will have Jeremy Phillips too. If you look at how last season progressed for Graham he really started throwing up some numbers once he got more playing time and adapted to our system. It is only unfortunate that we have him for just this last year.

Stats

As far as who leads them out? I am gonna have to go with LD on that one.

As far as Linebackers are concerned.... I gotta tell ya.... I expect if all things remain constant that Brad Graham and Orr will combine to be a Bash Brothers situation.

Brad Graham has been moved to safety. But Will Wright has done the reverse (from DB to LB), and from everything I heard, he had a monster spring at LB.

I guess I should have stated it better but I was meaning "Impact" player on the field this season...not who would be the first player to touch the Eagle Statue and run on the field! Sorry for the confusion! GMG!

On offense: Dunbar, and Thompson must be a leader too. He doesn't have to try and carry the team, but he must be vocal and make smart decisions with the ball.

On defense: Phillips, and if Wright can play under control and not get unsportsmanlike penalties, I think he will be the biggest impact player on the defense. That guy has a nose for the ball, the acceleration to get there, and hits hard.

On offense the obvious choice is Mr. Dunbar, so I am going to choose a player that I believe can really impact the offense in a real big way with the strong armed Thompson throwing the ball around, and that is one Tyler Stradford. I am really hoping for him to have a real big year with us now having a QB that can get the ball down the field to him. I think he is going to live up to the hype this season.

On defense, I am looking not for one player, but a unit, and that unit is the secondary. I am hoping if Cook and Ford come in healthy, with Hil locking down one side, and moving McCord as your 3rd corner, we may really have something...looking forward to seeing what this unit can put together if healthy.

And in my odd pick category...the kicker...I am looking forward to seeing what type of impact we see from the young kicker Olen. He has his legs under him and we have him for a whole season. The kicking has been so horrible since Bazldua left, I am looking forward to what he can do with such a strong leg in those close games we are sure to see!

• Upvote 1

Offense: Dunbar, Thompson-- easy choices

Defense: Phillips-- hes the leader. 3 year starter, learned how to lead from Craig, coaches son and brothers in the NFL

Wildcard- JJ hes been learning how to sell the program to alum and students and he can do that hes gotta be able to sell/lead the team

I agree with Harry on Defense. Orr stepped right in last year as a freshman and made things happen. He'll only get better, and I look forward to talking about him in the future like we talk about Spencer,Hurd,Kassell.

On offense, the obvious choice is Dunbar, but I also look for Darius Carey to step into a leadership role as well and carry that role into 2012 after Lance is gone.

I agree with Harry on Defense. Orr stepped right in last year as a freshman and made things happen. He'll only get better, and I look forward to talking about him in the future like we talk about Spencer,Hurd,Kassell.

On offense, the obvious choice is Dunbar, but I also look for Darius Carey to step into a leadership role as well and carry that role into 2012 after Lance is gone.

You're going to have to rethink the Darius Carey part of this. :angry:

You're going to have to rethink the Darius Carey part of this. :angry:

Uh, I got nothin.

Gonna have to pray that Bynes is healthy and ready to go & Stafford magically learned how to catch. If either of these guys (or maybe Olawale/some other WR) can step up, then they might be able to be a leader for us alongside Lance. Hopefully Thompson can prove himself ready to be a starting QB early.

Leadership sometimes come from position, sometimes from accomplishment, sometimes from experience and sometimes from personality, so on O it'll be Thompson (position), Dunbar (accomplishment), JJ (experience) and O-Line (personality).

I like Phillips on D, he has it all.

Leadership sometimes come from position, sometimes from accomplishment, sometimes from experience and sometimes from personality, so on O it'll be Thompson (position), Dunbar (accomplishment), JJ (experience) and O-Line (personality).

I like Phillips on D, he has it all.

What you say is true, but there is also production. Although Dunbar will be productive, we need another play-maker on the field with him. Carey was that play-maker that could take pressure off of Dunbar, and gave Thompson a reliable target. We must find someone or a few others that can pick up the production that will be lost by the departure of Carey. As bad as I make this sound, it's not the end of our season. I take comfort in having Canales as our OC. I have faith in him to solve this problem and make this offense work.

What you say is true, but there is also production. Although Dunbar will be productive, we need another play-maker on the field with him. Carey was that play-maker that could take pressure off of Dunbar, and gave Thompson a reliable target. We must find someone or a few others that can pick up the production that will be lost by the departure of Carey. As bad as I make this sound, it's not the end of our season. I take comfort in having Canales as our OC. I have faith in him to solve this problem and make this offense work.

I know Darius was the best receiver we had, but he was pretty inconsistent (second half of season he got better). I'm going to go out on a limb here and say we won't be running last year's offense and we'll have some passing activity with our TEs. New QBs appreciate the dump off pass. I'm told there is a two TE set. I also think some of these other WRs will step up, but all in all we're going to mix it up well enough to fool some DCs this year. Hell we may even adjust during a game.