View On Aston From Charlotte

4ever niner

Here are a couple of facts on UNCC(as my feable memory serves me). They first started with no nickname or school fight song. The school is located on I-49, which is why they are called the Forty-niners. Their secondary nickname is Mean Green...seems that there was a good NT influence on their faculty. In fact, in the beginning they had the same fight song as us..not sure if they still do.

And the city was named after a spider who could talk to pigs.

• Upvote 3

Here are a couple of facts on UNCC(as my feable memory serves me). They first started with no nickname or school fight song. The school is located on I-49, which is why they are called the Forty-niners. Their secondary nickname is Mean Green...seems that there was a good NT influence on their faculty. In fact, in the beginning they had the same fight song as us..not sure if they still do.

Wrong on everything. Thanks for playing and your lovely parting gift awaits.

I also heard that their band are referred to as the "Green Brigadiers" and that they play in an antiquated stadium named Fowts Field. They recently had a new Chancellor appointed to their school and he was attempting to move the campus resources a few miles east to UNC Asheville... what a scumbag!

I also heard that their band are referred to as the "Green Brigadiers" and that they play in an antiquated stadium named Fowts Field. They recently had a new Chancellor appointed to their school and he was attempting to move the campus resources a few miles east to UNC Asheville... what a scumbag!

Ha Ha. I gather from this that ya'll have a scumbag Chancellor. We have more in common than green.
  • Upvote 2

You are quite perceptive. How about clarifying your mascot, etc... for us.

The school was founded in 1946 as a night school and extension of UNC Chapel Hill for returning WW II veterans. The original nickname was "owls". In 1949, the school, than called Charlotte College, survived a near closing. Thus the 49er nickname. Charlotte College became a part of the UNC system in early to mid 60's and the name became UNCC. WE now go by UNC Charlotte and ,for athletics, simply "Charlotte" We did indeed used to use the UT Austin fight song, which I assume is not the same as yours. This has not been done for a very long time. We also were, for a short time in the 70's known as the Mean Green, and frankly I miss being called that. The city of Charlotte is named for a British Queen. Oh, and our chancellor is totally opposed to changing our name to University of Charlotte, while many of us want to distance ourselves from that Baby Blue university over in Chapel Hill which we now refer to as UNC-CHeat.

True story: two nights after Aston gets the Charlotte gig, she and the AD went off looking for a bar but can't find one. Finally they arrive at a vacant lot and she says, 'Here we are.' They sat there for a year and a half and sure enough someone constructs a bar around them. The day they opened Aston ordered a shot, drank it, and then burned the place to the ground. She yelled over the roar of the flames, 'Always leave things the way you found em!'

To Bill Brasky! Karen Aston!

• Upvote 1

Was this player's name Cedric Cornbread Maxwell? WTH??

Actually, Cedric held the conference's season free throw record until TT broke it this past year. Pretty cool to see the ties between these two schools.

Brought up in this 2011 MG BBall recap vid

Edited by greenminer

Actually, Cedric held the conference's season free throw record until TT broke it this past year. Pretty cool to see the ties between these two schools.

Brought up in this 2011 MG BBall recap vid

They did make a mistake saying we were the 5th seed in the West, when we were the #4 seed. Otherwise great tribute to the team.

Great find AAUNT.I liked the news story. Everything except their theft of our nickname.

Hmmmm...I was thinking that Royce Lumpkin, who was the assistant band director at North Texas for many years and is now the Chair of UNCC's music department, may have introduced the Mean Green name to them, but I see from his bio that his arrival at Charlotte was about ten years after this clip.

www.coaa.uncc.edu/Academics/Department-of-music/Faculty/Detail/84-royce-e-lumpkin