Rank The Sbc Coaches

The conference has a few new faces this year, and apparently CFN likes our coach the best according to this thread.

I happen to agree with them, but I'd love to stack them from top to bottom and, of course, I'd love to see what you guys think, so here goes:

1. Dan McCarney - Serious skins on the wall and a shiny NC ring to show for it. No way this guy will get "out-coached" in the SBC.

2. Mario Cristobal - Probably the best up & coming coach in the league. He wont be at FIU for very much longer.

3. Rick Stockstill - Has his team at the top of the SBC every year. He consistently brings in good recruiting classes as well.

4. Larry Blakeney - He built Troy at the D1a level from a good foundation at D1aa level. Even though the way he gets his talent is shady, there's no denying he's one of the best in the league. Look at his team's record.

5. Howard Schnellenberger - Cant argue with this guy's credentials, but it does appear that the game is passing him by, or he is starting to not really care anymore.

6. Todd Berry - He's bounced around more than a pinball, but he does have some good head coaching experience.

7. Willie Taggart - Another up & coming coach starting at the bottom of the league. He should have WKU competing in short order.

8. Mark Hudspeth - He has some experience, but not alot at a high level

9. Hugh Freeze - This guy is raw.

10. Joey Jones - This guy is rawer, but there are no expectations on South Bama... yet.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The conference has a few new faces this year, and apparently CFN likes our coach the best according to this thread.

I happen to agree with them, but I'd love to stack them from top to bottom and, of course, I'd love to see what you guys think, so here goes:

1. Dan McCarney - Serious skins on the wall and a shiny NC ring to show for it. No way this guy will get "out-coached" in the SBC.

2. Mario Cristobal - Probably the best up & coming coach in the league. He wont be at FIU for very much longer.

3. Rick Stockstill - Has his team at the top of the SBC every year. He consistently brings in good recruiting classes as well.

4. Larry Blakeney - He built Troy at the D1a level from a good foundation at D1aa level. Even though the way he gets his talent is shady, there's no denying he's one of the best in the league. Look at his team's record.

5. Howard Schnellenberger - Cant argue with this guy's credentials, but it does appear that the game is passing him by, or he is starting to not really care anymore.

6. Todd Berry - He's bounced around more than a pinball, but he does have some good head coaching experience.

7. Willie Taggart - Another up & coming coach starting at the bottom of the league. He should have WKU competing in short order.

10. Joey Jones - This guy is rawer, but there are no expectations on South Bama... yet.

Don't you think we should let the guy coach at least 1 SBC game, or even OOC game, before we annoint him the best in the belt? Yes, he has been the head guy at a big 6 school, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he will automatically suceed at UNT. One would think that would be the case, but we just don't know.

To ramk him above Cristobal or Blakeney is laughable at this point in time. You didn't say the coach with the most impressive resume, you said the best coach in the belt.

Way, way too soon.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

History shows us that #2 should be number one. I dont think an unproven should be number one. However, if this ranking were to reflect the most exciting coaches I would have to agree with the order.

• Downvote 1

Your ranking might be right, but way too difficult for me to say. As far as proving themselves as Belt coaches, Blakeney would have to be #1, followed by Schnellenberger at #2, Stocksill at #3, and Cristobal at #4. But the other coaches show a lot of promise, and within 4-5 years could have all passed up those four--I don't know anything about Joey Jones, but I would at least acknowledge it as a possibility for the others.

Now if you want to rank them as proven 1-A head coaches, McCarney would only be second to Captain Kangaroo.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Don't you think we should let the guy coach at least 1 SBC game, or even OOC game, before we annoint him the best in the belt? Yes, he has been the head guy at a big 6 school, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he will automatically suceed at UNT. One would think that would be the case, but we just don't know.

To ramk him above Cristobal or Blakeney is laughable at this point in time. You didn't say the coach with the most impressive resume, you said the best coach in the belt.

Way, way too soon.

OK, with this criteria (SBC tenure) would this be your list? If no, how would you rank them?

Howard Schnellenberger - since 2001

Larry Blakeney - transitioned to SBC play in 2004.

Rick Stockstill - since 2006

Mario Cristobal - since 2007

Willie Taggart - slight nod over Berry since he was the OC at WKU while they were transitioning to SBC.

Todd Berry - 1 year in SBC

Hugh Freeze - 0 games as HC, but he was an OC in the SBC last year!

Dan McCarney - 0 games in the SBC

Mark Hudspeth - 0 games in the SBC

Joey Jones - 0 games in the SBC, let alone D1 ball.

You are right, the question is "Best In The Belt". And, you're right, we don't have any tangible results of his time at UNT.