Another 20 Game Win Season

OldTimer

Outside the power leagues, getting a streak of this many 20 win seasons is kinda rare. This is a great accomplishment by the kids the last 5 years.

The only non-BCS schools with a longer 20 win season streak than us are Gonzaga, Memphis, Butler, Xavier, BYU, San Diego State, Nevada, Akron, and Utah State.

Nevada is currently sitting on 12 wins and would have to make the Final Four to get to 20 this season. I think it's safe to assume their streak is ending. Akron has 19 and needs a win in the MAC tourney, they should be fine. Everyone else is safely up to 20.

Worst case, there will be only 8 teams with streaks longer than our 5 consecutive 20 wins seasons. Best case, 7.

In either event, sustained success at that plateau is critical to turning a program into a mid-major dynasty. Half a decade, we've been very good. Very few teams have been as consistently solid as us. The longer it lasts, the more it becomes our reputation and the success builds on itself.

• Upvote 1

OT - The first game of the year was an exhibition.

OK take away the exhibition game and add the 83 to 69 win over Troy in the Sun Belt turnament...still an outstanding achievement considering the injuries. I'm sure someone can state whether its JJ's 4, or 5th or ? 20 game season wins.

This will be our last 20 season ever.

How negative a post...NT has LOI for 5 HS players that ranked # 31 nationally if I remember correctly...this includes 2-3* players including a power forward 3* 6-8, 220 to replace George Odufuwa....this doesn't count anything to Tony Mitchell a 6-8 forward ...a5* enrolled but not elgible at this time...that should leave at least 1 ship for a JC transfer.

How negative a post...NT has LOI for 5 HS players that ranked # 31 nationally if I remember correctly...this includes 2-3* players including a power forward 3* 6-8, 220 to replace George Odufuwa....this doesn't count anything to Tony Mitchell a 6-8 forward ...a5* enrolled but not elgible at this time...that should leave at least 1 ship for a JC transfer.

Life I believe forgot to add his major sarcasm tags..... I think

Several games ago, near the end of our streak, Lifer said we wouldn't win a game other than Denver the rest of the season. Then we beat USA and he held off. Then, after losing to ULM, he AGAIN stated we wouldn't win another game period this season, and continued after the ASU debacle. Suddenly though, as we all are aware, we righted the ship.

So, from my memory we are 4-1 directly after Lifer saying our season is done. In other words, keep it up.

Edited by CMJ

Unfortunately the NCAA only counts us having 18 wins at this time. They dont count Oklahoma Panhandle St and Henderson St, two non div I teams.(18-10)

They appear as wins in the official NCAA guide. Look at the previous season records according to the NCAA, you'll see our other 20 wins seasons are counted that way, even with non D1 wins.

Now the Selection Committee probably throws them out, but that's something else entirely.

• Upvote 1

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I don't really think the whole 20 wins is a big deal, especially in a conference as weak as the Sun Belt. I mean it's the only 1-A conference that's classified as a mid-major. Pretty sad. The other mid-majors that have had consecutive 20 win seasons like us have gone on to make noise in the NCAA tournament as 12 or 13 seeds, while we've only been first round fodder for 2 seeds. My point is, I would trade all these 20 win seasons for 1 or 2 NCAA tournament victories.

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I don't really think the whole 20 wins is a big deal, especially in a conference as weak as the Sun Belt. I mean it's the only 1-A conference that's classified as a mid-major. Pretty sad. The other mid-majors that have had consecutive 20 win seasons like us have gone on to make noise in the NCAA tournament as 12 or 13 seeds, while we've only been first round fodder for 2 seeds. My point is, I would trade all these 20 win seasons for 1 or 2 NCAA tournament victories.

The MAC and WAC are usually both classified as Mid Majors. CUSA was refered to as a middie last night during one one of the games I was watching.

Basically everyone outside the Power 6 is refered to as a mid major at one point or another.

Most of the other teams with longer streaks than us also had periods of success that predated their current runs. So they weren't putting a foundation in place, they were building off a platform of established success.

We had a big back and forth about winning NCAA games last year, and even the Gonzagas and Butlers and Xaviers of the non-BCS world didn't jump right into winning at that level.

I don't believe in judging a season's success or failure based on tournament results... But for anyone who does, a streak like this is what legitimizes a program to bring in the type of talent that makes those postseason wins happen. Hopefully, that's what the current streak has done with our incoming class.

All these 20 win seasons are what led to the best ever recruiting class that JJ just signed (and we still aren't done). Do you think Tony Mitchell or Jordan Williams even gives us a first glance if they had graduated 8 years ago? No chance in hell.

And I agree with Tasty. If you want to see a NCAA tournament win, check back in 2013. You may just get a couple of them.

Edited by UNT90

I'm not saying the past 5 years have been a failure, but eventually it gets to a point where 20 wins doesnt mean much. If our recruiting class this year finishes their careers without a NCAA tourny win I would consider that a huge disappointment. If we want this program to go to the next level it's going to take more than just winning the Sun Belt