Good To Be Optimistic, But Diamond In The Rough?

mcthunem

While checking up on North Texas Recruiting on ESPN and using my insider account to find anything going on with the football program (Nothing worth mentioning nationally) I was curious to see what local recruiting was going on. Even the lower 3 Star athletes from the area have more interest for smaller, out of state Div 1 schools than they do for UNT (Don't blame them... blame marketing). My next step was to look at those that are not currently recruited. One QB caught my eye, Paul Millard from FMHS in Flower Mound, TX who ran a very similar offense to what Canales runs at UNT. I know because I played varsity football as a slot receiver under head coach Cody Vanderford at FMHS. This was last night that I checked... Was about to add the link to this post when I learned he just gave a verbal commitment to West Virginia, other schools considered... Stephen F. Austin. Are you kidding me, he's right in our backyard?!? Here is the link anyways...My link

Well, help me out, buddy. What are their stats?

Senior Yrs. (and Osborn's 2010 yr)

Millard (5A) 4,472 Yds for 47 TDs and 6 Ints

Osborn (Juco) 2010 Stats- 2014 Yds and 18 TDs and 12 INTs

Jones (2A) 2,418 yards for 29 touchdowns and an additional 356 yds Rushing with 6 TDs and 11 INTs

it's all trivial though in that Millard is walking on to WVU and its all over the web as of today.

Edited by All About UNT

Senior Yrs. (and Osborn's 2010 yr)

Millard (5A) 4,472 Yds for 47 TDs and 6 Ints

Osborn (Juco) 2010 Stats- 2014 Yds and 18 TDs and 12 INTs

Jones (2A) 2,418 yards for 29 touchdowns and an additional 356 yds Rushing with 6 TDs and 11 INTs

it's all trivial though in that Millard is walking on to WVU and its all over the web as of today.

Those are definitely amazing stats. I'm surprised bigger schools didn't come calling, regardless of his weight room performance. Interesting that Rivals rates him the same as Osborn and Jones.

Canales is in charge of recruiting and coaching this position. I trust his judgment and like who we have committed at this time.

Another thing to consider is that JC football is a pretty big step up from high school, even if it is Texas 5A ball (I guess we knew that). The only reason a lot of guys start out at the JC level is because of academics, not athletics. A JC qb, even one who only started one year, has seen some good defensive players.

Here's where Brent Osborn stood last year among other NCJAA QBs.

http://www.njcaa.org/sports_stats.cfm?sid=11&report_id=3388&SR=1&sortdirection=desc&gender=m&divid=0&slid=5&resort=yes&sorttype=stat&stat=6&statmin=0.0&seasonselect=505

#7 in completion percentage, #14 in TDs, #13 in average yards per game.

Paul Millard is going to West Virginia this spring, without a scholarship, in hopes of winning over the starting spot. It was told to him that

the prospect of that happening is high, as well as the prospect of them being able to give him a scholarship come fall.

I can tell you that he is the best I have seen as far as decision making, accuracy, leadership and reading defensive coverages. It is a shame that

he had as few offers as he did. Arm strength was the biggest question from what I understand. He can make all the throws, and puts heat on the ball when he NEEDS to. Which is something most young QB's don't learn for several years if ever. However, we have seen PLENTY of great college quarterbacks that did not have a cannon slinging the ball around. He is a great kid and undoubtedly will be a great QB for whoever he plays for.