New Student Section

Dr. Seuss

Who would be opposed to the student section going around the the entire lower bowl, maybe like 10 rows up. I know that the alumni will be pissed because their losing their eye sight and cant see 10 feet in front of them but why are students up in the nose bleeds?? They/We need to be in the PIT yelling and screaming our love for this University.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Who would be opposed to the student section going around the the entire lower bowl, maybe like 10 rows up. I know that the alumni will be pissed because their losing their eye sight and cant see 10 feet in front of them but why are students up in the nose bleeds?? They/We need to be in the PIT yelling and screaming our love for this University.

The athletic department??? Our student setup is similar to most setups around the country. The prime seats you are talking about are where they make what little money we do in ticket sales, so keep dreaming.

The University can't give up the revenue from those ticket sales...and yes more of those tickets are actually sold than people think.

The Super Pit isn't really built to handle that type of student section, because the people behind the students would have to stand the whole game. I would not mind if they donated the next section over to the pit crew, to completely engulf behind the opponent bench, or (when we really start packing the place) split the pit crew and have half of them on the other end of the court to urge on the defense during the first half.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

Sorry...no! At one time the "student section" was the middle sections across from the team benches. UNT still does not get a big enough student turnout to warrant "better" seats, and being right behind the opposing team's bench is GREAT!

Too many fans and alums have been sitting in those seats...and paying the price, for too many years to "run them out" and potentially "run them off" so students may or may not can show up and sit in the premium seats.

I love the fact that more students seem to be turning out for the games this season. JJ and Company has certainly earned the right by their play to have the support of their fellow students, but the PIT CREW section was in no way full last evening. Once there is an overflow of students demanding seats we can start considering a bigger section. Don't think it couldn't happen. I for one, would be just fine if it did...but, still not the first ten rows completely around the Pit.

Students are only in the nosebleed section when they show up like they did for Texas Tech.

Get 5,000 students to show up on a consistent basis and then we'll see about new seating arrangements.

• Upvote 2

Sorry...no! At one time the "student section" was the middle sections across from the team benches. UNT still does not get a big enough student turnout to warrant "better" seats, and being right behind the opposing team's bench is GREAT!

Too many fans and alums have been sitting in those seats...and paying the price, for too many years to "run them out" and potentially "run them off" so students may or may not can show up and sit in the premium seats.

I love the fact that more students seem to be turning out for the games this season. JJ and Company has certainly earned the right by their play to have the support of their fellow students, but the PIT CREW section was in no way full last evening. Once there is an overflow of students demanding seats we can start considering a bigger section. Don't think it couldn't happen. I for one, would be just fine if it did...but, still not the first ten rows completely around the Pit.

Look anywere else that has a basketball program, students are EVERYWHERE. If you looked in the stands, students were sitting int the upper bowl and spread out in the pit because the assigned student section is to small.

I understand that 10 rows might be a little much but who says if those seats arent full you cant grab one or two. As a student I am thankful for the great alum we have, and we need more. I would let it go the first 6 or so rows behind the bench side and then if those are getting full i would expand it, because yall are use to an empty pit and spoiled seats.

GMG

Students are only in the nosebleed section when they show up like they did for Texas Tech.

Get 5,000 students to show up on a consistent basis and then we'll see about new seating arrangements.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. The students (me included) have ZERO room to complain at this point. Last night I sat with my parents in their season tickets (which are in the first 10 rows :unsure: ), and the student section sounded awesome. If there were 5,000 students at every game, it would grab so much attention and cause so much impact, that surely the athletic department would search for a way to please all parties.

Most student sections I have seen either encompass both endzones, or the arena is built so that seats above the students along the sidelines are raised so there is no vision blocked even with the students standing.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. The students (me included) have ZERO room to complain at this point. Last night I sat with my parents in their season tickets (which are in the first 10 rows :unsure: ), and the student section sounded awesome. If there were 5,000 students at every game, it would grab so much attention and cause so much impact, that surely the athletic department would search for a way to please all parties.

Most student sections I have seen either encompass both endzones, or the arena is built so that seats above the students along the sidelines are raised so there is no vision blocked even with the students standing.

I understnad the first 10 rows is a little much but its more of the students being lower in the pit to get the corwd going in all directions. 5000 to a game thats more than haft of the pit. As much as everyone thinks UTA isnt a big rivalry in person than it is on paper. How many of the students were listening to the game on radio last year when they went to overtime???

I understnad the first 10 rows is a little much but its more of the students being lower in the pit to get the corwd going in all directions. 5000 to a game thats more than haft of the pit. As much as everyone thinks UTA isnt a big rivalry in person than it is on paper. How many of the students were listening to the game on radio last year when they went to overtime???

There were a decent amount of students at the game in Arlington...should have been more though. I don't live on campus anymore, so I don't know what kind of promotional stuff the Athletic Department does to get students out to the game, but I can't see how this team is a hard sell. If they start in the dorms, and KEEP people interested, they will still come to the games even when they live off campus.

The only time I remember the athletics marketing going 100% to promote a game was Ok. State in 2007. I have one the big game posters they put all over the sidewalkes framed and hanging in my living room with the NT daily headline and a ticket. So I know they can do it.

Look anywere else that has a basketball program, students are EVERYWHERE. If you looked in the stands, students were sitting int the upper bowl and spread out in the pit because the assigned student section is to small.

I understand that 10 rows might be a little much but who says if those seats arent full you cant grab one or two. As a student I am thankful for the great alum we have, and we need more. I would let it go the first 6 or so rows behind the bench side and then if those are getting full i would expand it, because yall are use to an empty pit and spoiled seats.

GMG

I don't know about the rest of the country, but in Big 12 arena students don't get the entire lower 10 rows. At Kansas they get the behind both baskets and a couple of sections behind the bench. Mizzou used to have almost all the student section in the upper deck (only a small part on the lower bowl was students). I don't remember Tech having students on the baselines. Duke is the only school I can think of that has students baseline to baseline. But that stadium only holds 6,000 so I don't know if they could stick the students somewhere else.

Every schools I've seen, the students want better seats and alumni don't want to give up good seats. I guess it's a sign of progress that we're discussing this now.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but in Big 12 arena students don't get the entire lower 10 rows. At Kansas they get the behind both baskets and a couple of sections behind the bench. Mizzou used to have almost all the student section in the upper deck (only a small part on the lower bowl was students). I don't remember Tech having students on the baselines. Duke is the only school I can think of that has students baseline to baseline. But that stadium only holds 6,000 so I don't know if they could stick the students somewhere else.

Every schools I've seen, the students want better seats and alumni don't want to give up good seats. I guess it's a sign of progress that we're discussing this now.

Cameron Indoor actually seats about as many as the SuperPit does. They're just crammed in like sardines.

At UCLA they gave one side of the lower sections to the students - and the other side is the high dollar donors. I believe NC State does the same. Those are the only other "big" schools that I can think of off the top of my head that give that many high profile seating to students.

Cameron Indoor actually seats about as many as the SuperPit does. They're just crammed in like sardines.

At UCLA they gave one side of the lower sections to the students - and the other side is the high dollar donors. I believe NC State does the same. Those are the only other "big" schools that I can think of off the top of my head that give that many high profile seating to students.

You're right about Duke. There's a ESPN article on loudest arena. Duke holds 9,314. Top 5 places were 1. Kansas 2. Duke 3. Kentucky 4. New Mexico 5. Florida. It says this about Duke..."All it needs is more court-adjacent students." At Duke student seating is 1,500 (for comparison KU and UK are 4,000).

It lists one of the three key factors for noise is a committed student section (no surprise). Also mentions student seating location: "But the most thunderous undergrads won't do much good if they're stuck in the rafters while boosters schmooze politely courtside. Not only does Kansas welcome a high percentage of campus kids, it keeps them close to the action, too."

I think the article is an insider but here's the link: http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/preview2010/insider/news/story?id=5761254

• Upvote 1

To state the obvious...if students want to sit elsewhere, they are free to buy tickets. I have this theory...and it is shared by others as well...that when something is "free", there is often little value associated with it. I wonder if students had to actually buy tickets (a discounted price, of course) if they would show up in larger numbers? Case in point, students at OSU must buy football tickets and they are not that inexpensive. Students camp out to be sure and get to purchase tickets. OK, I am not saying that UNT is at this point as yet, but if students had to purchase (yes, in addition to the fees already paid) would they attach more value to actually going to the games?

During my student time at OSU, I was required to purchase football, basketball, wrestling, baseball, etc. tickets and I had to line up at a certain tiome to be able to purchase. And, my tuition and fees included an athletic fee as well.

Again, not saying I am for or against this, but just wondering if more "value" by the students would be placed on the games, and if more students would find the time to attend and support their fellow students?

I think UNT is seeing a bigger student turnout these days, and it does seem to be growing, but it is still painfully small for a 37,000+ student body.

As for the alums and community folks...some advertisements, promotions and community "meet and greets" would go a long way in helping. Make it an event...give it some added value...market to the clubs and associations and Chamber of Commerce groups, make a charity fundraiser out of a game and get the community involved, have some innovative half-time events (hey, i do like that chicken catch...must keep that one), get the pee wee sports organizations involved, expand the Little Mean green Club into an actual "must join" group. The best thing would be if our alumni would simply support their university in greater numbers. Are you aware that there are just over 8,000 members in the UNT Alumni Association while the University graduates almost that many each and every year? And, were you aware that there are only about 300 or so members in the Mean Green Club?

Anyway...any thoughts on that "value" thing? It's just for discussion...I am not advocating for it one way or the other.

Another note, students at places like Duke line up to BUY tickets and don't get in for free.

At Duke, you have to campout and check-in every time they blow a whistle. They do this for three days straight at all hours. Miss more than one check-in and you are out! make it through the 3 days, and you are entered into a drawing for season tickets that cost $200.

You're right about Duke. There's a ESPN article on loudest arena. Duke holds 9,314. Top 5 places were 1. Kansas 2. Duke 3. Kentucky 4. New Mexico 5. Florida. It says this about Duke..."All it needs is more court-adjacent students." At Duke student seating is 1,500 (for comparison KU and UK are 4,000).

It lists one of the three key factors for noise is a committed student section (no surprise). Also mentions student seating location: "But the most thunderous undergrads won't do much good if they're stuck in the rafters while boosters schmooze politely courtside. Not only does Kansas welcome a high percentage of campus kids, it keeps them close to the action, too."

I think the article is an insider but here's the link: http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/preview2010/insider/news/story?id=5761254

And what do I know, Im just a student whos making his 2nd and final vitory lap

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Another note, students at places like Duke line up to BUY tickets and don't get in for free.

I was pretty sure undergrads at Duke got in for free and I found the story ( http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3100960 ) from a few years ago when they were having mediocre(by their standards) seasons. They were having some issues with student attendance - apparently because so many kids were scared off by sleeping in tents for days on end (probably not a problem now they they're back on top again).

As of 3 years ago students got in free at Cameron. I'm pretty sure Grad students have to buy tickets, but at a heavy discount. Seem to remember an ESPN story on it a few years ago.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

To state the obvious...if students want to sit elsewhere, they are free to buy tickets. I have this theory...and it is shared by others as well...that when something is "free", there is often little value associated with it. I wonder if students had to actually buy tickets (a discounted price, of course) if they would show up in larger numbers? Case in point, students at OSU must buy football tickets and they are not that inexpensive. Students camp out to be sure and get to purchase tickets. OK, I am not saying that UNT is at this point as yet, but if students had to purchase (yes, in addition to the fees already paid) would they attach more value to actually going to the games?

During my student time at OSU, I was required to purchase football, basketball, wrestling, baseball, etc. tickets and I had to line up at a certain tiome to be able to purchase. And, my tuition and fees included an athletic fee as well.

Again, not saying I am for or against this, but just wondering if more "value" by the students would be placed on the games, and if more students would find the time to attend and support their fellow students?

I think UNT is seeing a bigger student turnout these days, and it does seem to be growing, but it is still painfully small for a 37,000+ student body.

As for the alums and community folks...some advertisements, promotions and community "meet and greets" would go a long way in helping. Make it an event...give it some added value...market to the clubs and associations and Chamber of Commerce groups, make a charity fundraiser out of a game and get the community involved, have some innovative half-time events (hey, i do like that chicken catch...must keep that one), get the pee wee sports organizations involved, expand the Little Mean green Club into an actual "must join" group. The best thing would be if our alumni would simply support their university in greater numbers. Are you aware that there are just over 8,000 members in the UNT Alumni Association while the University graduates almost that many each and every year? And, were you aware that there are only about 300 or so members in the Mean Green Club?

Anyway...any thoughts on that "value" thing? It's just for discussion...I am not advocating for it one way or the other.

Their is a sort of value of purchansing a ticket but one thing is different about UNT then OSU, and other large programs. They have a demand for the tickets, and why not put a price on something if your going to gain a profit, because at the end of the day thats what a program/ company wants is profit. But when the demand is not their and you will be suffering a lost, your going in the wrong direction. UNT should NOT have a price on their student tickets because we have yet to sell out a home basketball game. When North Texas is at the level of selling out and the demand is there, then I am all for it because all it means is more profit for our program.

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UNT should NOT have a price on the tickets because we have yet to sell out a home basketball game.

My grocery store should not charge me for produce because I have never seen them run out of carrots.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I have season tickets, there were empty seats beside me. If you brought all your student friends who needed so much space because it was overflowing the Pit Crew section you could have sat there. It is not really a problem. Students can be right on the court everywhere except right in the middle. It is not really a problem.

Also, it is not really a problem.

• Upvote 1

Right now the best reason to not charge students is because we promised them if they supported the athletic fee we would not charge them to attend sporting events.

Is that in writing somewhere? If true, I hope so. I will probably get "killed" for this, but that "poor student/poor grad student" line is getting pretty old. Most of "us grads" recall our student days as well, and we do know that students make decisions as to where to spend their time and their money just like everyone else. If there were a high enough priority on attending games, students would find they have both the time and the money to attend. It's all a matter of priority. And, before you do "start the killing of the messenger", I worked part-time and full-time jobs the entire time I was an undergrad at UNT for my money and all the way through all my graduate programs. I would like to know the actual percentage of undergrad students at UNT who get no support from their parents, no scholarship money, etc. The idea of the "poor and destitute" college student is a myth for the majority I would certainly imagine. I considered myself "poor" as an undergrad and grad student simply because I couldn't afford everything I WANTED...underscore "wanted"...but I certainly found the funds to party, join a frat, attend games, date some great co-eds (and some as it turned out...not-so-great) and generally have a good experience at UNT and during grad school. Choices, folks, choices...and all the while working outside of school the whole time.

Hard to plead poverty while one is texting away on a DROID phone hooked up to the Internet, etc., etc. I am not dissing anyone here, as there are definitely some UNT students getting by on little to nothing outside of what it costs to attend. However, my guess, they make up a minority of enrolled students. Anyone have any real data on this as I am going simply from observation and personal experience....and, observation and personal experience can certainly be deceiving at times.