New Offensive Line Coach ?

MeanGreen61

What makes you think he isn't. Nelson is DL coach, Skladany would be Defensive Coordinator.

From Tuesday's coach scoop:

North Texas: We are hearing that Dan McCarney's next move is likely the hiring of Florida offensive grad assistant Justin Frye as offensive line coach. Another source has just told us that McCarney's former defensive coordinator at Iowa State, John Skladany, will remain at Central Florida. Skladany coaches the linebackers and serves as the assistant special teams coach at UCF.

From Tuesday's coach scoop:

North Texas: We are hearing that Dan McCarney's next move is likely the hiring of Florida offensive grad assistant Justin Frye as offensive line coach. Another source has just told us that McCarney's former defensive coordinator at Iowa State, John Skladany, will remain at Central Florida. Skladany coaches the linebackers and serves as the assistant special teams coach at UCF.

Frye is the guy, he'll be here early next week.

http://www.coachurbanmeyer.com/06/18/10/Justin-Frye/landing.html?blockID=256690&feedID=6494

So much for all those experienced coaches calling Coach McCarney and wanting a job?

Hope he can coach.

The overall budget will not support eight Dan McCarneys. Coaching staffs are always a mix of young guys and old heads to stay within the defined salary structure. As an old Hoosier, the Frye kid looks pretty good to me and obviously to Coach Mac through personal experience with Frye's abilities.

I have to admit that I'll have to look at a map to figure out where Elwood, IN is located.

• Upvote 2

The overall budget will not support eight Dan McCarneys. Coaching staffs are always a mix of young guys and old heads to stay within the defined salary structure. As an old Hoosier, the Frye kid looks pretty good to me and obviously to Coach Mac through personal experience with Frye's abilities.

I have to admit that I'll have to look at a map to figure out where Elwood, IN is located.

Yes, limited salary pool for the assistants. If there is say $1 mil in it and Chico has pulled 200K then it would be good to get perhaps a young, new coach that might only require ~50K starting out.

True. Good points.It's also coach McCarney's call, not second guessers on a message board.

• Upvote 3

How do you know Coach Mac didn't think he was the right man for the job, even over more experienced candidates? The biggest football schools in the country will move GAs right to their regular staff.

The Utah QB from a few years that trashed Bama is now the QB coach there. I forgot his name but I believe it's Brian Johnson? So yeah a good and experienced coach should be able to identify talent in other coaches as well that will be able to implement his system. I don't think you need hot shot type assistants...just guys who have bright futures and who can implement the HC's system.

Here's something from the local newspaper in that part of Indiana that, I think, gives some insight into the guy:

Justin Frye: "Coaching Show" in his future?

I kinda wonder if Coach Mac isn't looking for guys who have an emotional and spiritual commitment to the game of football that comes close to matching his. Anyway, just think of this: someone has to give a young guy a chance, just like our most recent OL coach was given that chance (and responded well, I think).

• Upvote 2

Always a ray of sunshine. :unsure:

No...I think he is just being realistic. Many on this board were questioning some of Dodge's hires...and others took the position that we have to trust the man to hire who he saw fit to help him coach the team.

Remind me again...how did most of those hires turn out?? :P

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here's something from the local newspaper in that part of Indiana that, I think, gives some insight into the guy:

Justin Frye: "Coaching Show" in his future?

I kinda wonder if Coach Mac isn't looking for guys who have an emotional and spiritual commitment to the game of football that comes close to matching his. Anyway, just think of this: someone has to give a young guy a chance, just like our most recent OL coach was given that chance (and responded well, I think).

This guy comes from the University of Florida. I am sure he will be a great coach, after hearing Coach Mac speak over and over; I trust him 100% to evaluate and select players and coaches.

I think Jeff Bryant did a fine job, and will probably be able to get a FCS or DII job now. Not a knock, but Bryant did not come from Florida...

So much for all those experienced coaches calling Coach McCarney and wanting a job?

Hope he can coach.

A coaching staff always has a mix of young and older coaches. I was just reading of an Iowa GA who became the Tight Ends coach when a new head coach came in. That was McCarney after Hayden Fry arrived.

Since we have empirical evidence experienced coach have called him, there's no reason to think they have stopped because he is potentially offering a job to a young man whose work McCarney knows well.