If Offered, Should We Join The Mountain West Conference?

Harry

I say no.

It's not going to get an AQ bid and I think we would generate more interest with the Texas CUSA teams showing up at New Fouts.

I would tend to agree, but that's not the question. The scenario presented does not suggest that we have offers to both conferences in hand, but that we have the option either to join the MWC or remain in the Belt and wait for another invite which may or may not be coming. In that scenario, we'd be fools not to go to the MWC.

Come on guys - the question was very clear, would you accept a Mountain West invite. Please don't hijack with CUSA discussions. That's not the purpose of this poll.

I am hijacking this thread, I demand 20 million helicopters and a dollar. biggrin.gif

I would have to see the financials, but off the top of my head, my answer is still no.

Once Utah, TCU and BYU leave here is what you have left:

Air Force

San Diego State

Colorado State

Wyoming

New Mexico

Does that excite anyone? unsure.gif

Now if Houston, SMU, Rice etc come along, then I am in. But that is not the question you asked either. tongue.gif

Are you forgetting that their top three teams are leaving? This is what is left:

Air Force

San Diego State

Colorado State

Wyoming

New Mexico

Add in Fresno, Nevada, and Boise and it is still a good but not strong conference, better than CUSA and SBC.

No brainer we join. Easy travel to name destinations.

I voted no for the same reason as Cerebus. I would rather be in CUSA right now than the Mountain West. Wyoming? Really rather have them than Houston, Rice, Tulsa, Memphis or Southern Miss? And don't forget that god-awful TV contract with the Mountain Network and Verse instead of ESPN.

It's not hijacking to write the reason for voting no! <_<

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I voted no for the same reason as Cerebus. I would rather be in CUSA right now than the Mountain West. Wyoming? Really rather have them than Houston, Rice, Tulsa, Memphis or Southern Miss? And don't forget that god-awful TV contract with the Mountain Network and Verse instead of ESPN.

Their TV contract is much better than CUSA or the SBC right now.

• Upvote 1

You do realize the Sun Belt doesn't even get paid for it's tv contract right? That is how bad the Sun Belt is.

• Upvote 2

MWC provides much better opportunity. The MWC will have placed teams in 3 BCS bowls the past three years after this season is over, and there's nothing that says either TCU or Boise won't make it back. This is a great opportunity for UNT if it is extended, because you are playing much better schools in a much better conference. If the question simply is should you go to the MWC, the answer is yes.

And there in lies why the MWC might come fast. Think about it. Don't lose the market!

The WAC could not maintain a presence in the rich recruiting fields of Texas after TCU and SMU left. They did just fine, but that was when Reno and Boise were building their beasts on the rich Cali talent. The WAC could never put pressure on us to join the league because we always wanted to wait for the CUSA invite. It did not and still does not interest us to join forces with SJSU, USU and Idaho. The MWC could add us and not skip a beat in terms of maintaining a presence in Big 12, Big East and CUSA Country. Rick better make sure the phone is on the hook.

If CUSA continues to get raided we will have a chance to land there, but I already am not enjoying the quality of CUSA. It is not the CUSA of old and seems to be losing steam. I like the natural rivals, but if a higher quality conference not named the WAC comes a calling it will be a monster risk to say no. We had better be prepared to say "sure we will open on the blue turf!"

Think about it:

Air Force - Local and regional military personnel visiting us every other year and annually in bball

New Mexico - draws 17k for every bball game right now

UNLV - draws 13-16k for every bball game (they had 9k for an exhibition this year that I was at)

Colorado State - in the doldrums right now but they have scoreboard on us

Wyoming - strange passionate little program with name recognition and they do travel - can't miss that brown)

San Diego State - draws poorly but they have a beast of a bball team this year

Boise - enough said

Reno - rising program that made a national splash last week

Fresno - name recognition and consistently strong (like our Troy but has done it longer)

Hawaii - name recognition and back on track in football

Every program brings something to the table in one of the sports. I don't think we have that in our current conference setup.

GMG