Wow...does Anyone Like The Mccarney Hire?

NCMeanGreen

NO, Im not on board. Im actually suprised that so many of you who were so vehemently against Mccarney on Friday night, just all of a sudden jump on board as if you were instructed to do so by some Lane Rawlins or RV mind melt. Also, for all who were upset when it seemed that Canales would just be given the job without a thorough search, please remember to be careful what you wish for.

I hope DM can come in here and do the job, but I can not cheer for this hire. We are not a major university, yet. NT has to pay atention to what the students and alumni want. They can not afford to alienate the loyal fanbase they have. When it became apparent that so many were against the hire, they should have reconsidered. They essentially gave the students and alumni a big middle finger and said, "F You, we do what we want." The team was coming together around Canales. Were they undefeated no, but he coached a team to a near win against a school that, for most of the season, was competing for a Big 12 division title. That is something we haven't seen since I have been a student. I think we knew what we had in Canales, but Mccarney is uncertain. Yeah, he has head coaching experience, but Canales has been around the block as well. It will be hard to compare the decision to hire Mccarney and to fire Canales. I think the only way to know we made the right decision is if Canales goes and gets a head coaching gig, which I think he will, and Mccarney wins in a shorter amount of time than Canales.

I do not hold the admission to domestic violence as a reason not to hire him. However, if it is true that Rawlins did not want to take on Leavitt because of his "baggage", yet takes on a man who ADMITTED to striking his wife, then Rawlins is an idiot and should fire himself.

I do not for one second think this was an RV decision alone. Maybe RV did endorse him, maybe not. But I do believe that Rawlins and Neinas had more of a hand in the decision than they should have. RV is the athletic director. They should sit back and let him make the decision, THEN take it to Rawlins, but trust his decision. Neinas should have ZERO say in who is hired.

I think that next year we have to go 8-4 for this to be a success. We have to beat Tulsa and Houston, no exceptions. I want Tennessee to be close for a half, and us to not get embarrassed by Alabama. Even if we lose to Tennessee and Bama, I expect us to not be out coached. After all, he came from the SEC and has BcS head coaching experience. That is why we hired him, right? That still allows us to lose 2 conference games. The whole "give him 3-4 years" crap will not fly here. We need to win IMMEDIATELY! Bottom line, I want NT to succeed, and with the new stadium, talk of a playoff system, and conference realignment, this is possibly the most crucal time for NT football. I can only hope we did not screw it up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I do believe that there is a bit of a conflict of interest issue in using Neinas since he always, 100% of the time, recommends coaches that he represents.

I wish people would stop saying this, because it isn't true. McCarney's agent is Bryan Harlan, not Neinas.

http://blogs.desmoin...-the-isu-mayor/

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 1

NO, Im not on board. Im actually suprised that so many of you who were so vehemently against Mccarney on Friday night, just all of a sudden jump on board as if you were instructed to do so by some Lane Rawlins or RV mind melt. Also, for all who were upset when it seemed that Canales would just be given the job without a thorough search, please remember to be careful what you wish for.

I hope DM can come in here and do the job, but I can not cheer for this hire. We are not a major university, yet. NT has to pay atention to what the students and alumni want. They can not afford to alienate the loyal fanbase they have. When it became apparent that so many were against the hire, they should have reconsidered. They essentially gave the students and alumni a big middle finger and said, "F You, we do what we want." The team was coming together around Canales. Were they undefeated no, but he coached a team to a near win against a school that, for most of the season, was competing for a Big 12 division title. That is something we haven't seen since I have been a student. I think we knew what we had in Canales, but Mccarney is uncertain. Yeah, he has head coaching experience, but Canales has been around the block as well. It will be hard to compare the decision to hire Mccarney and to fire Canales. I think the only way to know we made the right decision is if Canales goes and gets a head coaching gig, which I think he will, and Mccarney wins in a shorter amount of time than Canales.

I do not hold the admission to domestic violence as a reason not to hire him. However, if it is true that Rawlins did not want to take on Leavitt because of his "baggage", yet takes on a man who ADMITTED to striking his wife, then Rawlins is an idiot and should fire himself.

I do not for one second think this was an RV decision alone. Maybe RV did endorse him, maybe not. But I do believe that Rawlins and Neinas had more of a hand in the decision than they should have. RV is the athletic director. They should sit back and let him make the decision, THEN take it to Rawlins, but trust his decision. Neinas should have ZERO say in who is hired.

I think that next year we have to go 8-4 for this to be a success. We have to beat Tulsa and Houston, no exceptions. I want Tennessee to be close for a half, and us to not get embarrassed by Alabama. Even if we lose to Tennessee and Bama, I expect us to not be out coached. After all, he came from the SEC and has BcS head coaching experience. That is why we hired him, right? That still allows us to lose 2 conference games. The whole "give him 3-4 years" crap will not fly here. We need to win IMMEDIATELY! Bottom line, I want NT to succeed, and with the new stadium, talk of a playoff system, and conference realignment, this is possibly the most crucal time for NT football. I can only hope we did not screw it up.

Donate the money to pay a large portion of the new coaches contract, and then you will have the ear of the AD and Pres. Rawlins. If you can't donate a large amount of money, your opinion won't matter, and really, shouldn't. It matters as much as who you think the new Cowboys coach should be.

Students don't pick coaches (thank god!), players don't pick coaches, and alumni who dont donate very large sums of money don't pick coaches. That's the real world at every major university.

If you want a bigger say in the hiring process, donate 6 figures toward the salary.

I will support McCarney because he is the coach of the football team of my university, but he's got a lot to live up to to change my attitude about Canales. My fear is that Canales will end up a ULL success and lead them out of their trailers and on to greater success. Canales truely cares about NT, the players, the program and wanted to be here, so I just hope McCarney shows the same passion.

• Upvote 1

On board with the hire. McCarney is a very very good coach, and what he had to work with at ISU *when compared to other teams in the Big 8/Big 12* was, IMO, LESS than what he will have at UNT. He is a master motivator, and very well respected in coaching circles.

The Mean Green finished 3-9. I pessimistically predicted 4-8, but at the end of the year, you are what your record shows. The team has a good offense, and special teams are starting to come along with young players at the skill positions. Defensive line (and to a lesser extent now) OL is where there needs to be renewed focus, and McCarney's background should help.

With a new stadium and need to sell it, UNT could not afford to hire a HC with no prior HC experience. No matter how well MC did in his "audition", in my opinion it was not going to happen, because the stakes are too high at this point in UNT's evolution as a program. They were not going to take another chance at head coach in this instance, and it was the right decision. If the situation had been different at UNT, MC would have been a great hire. Two HC's in a row with no college HC experience was not an option for the program--and it shouldn't have been.

McCarney's hire answers affirmatively: "is UNT serious about FCS football"? The guys making the decisions made the right call.

Donate the money to pay a large portion of the new coaches contract, and then you will have the ear of the AD and Pres. Rawlins. If you can't donate a large amount of money, your opinion won't matter, and really, shouldn't. It matters as much as who you think the new Cowboys coach should be.

Students don't pick coaches (thank god!), players don't pick coaches, and alumni who dont donate very large sums of money don't pick coaches. That's the real world at every major university.

If you want a bigger say in the hiring process, donate 6 figures toward the salary.

Someone who knows please give us the contribution scale so we will know how much influence X amount given to this particular UNT Athletic Dept. gives a UNT alum:

If I Get Only 1 UNT Alum A Year To Use Our DJ Service That Is Still $400 For UNT's New Stadium Fund............I still have my DJ deal going with half of * $800 for a 4 hour event (not just Wedding Receptions, either; partys, birthdays, reunions, karaoke-fest, corporate events, etc.); yet with half of the amount for a 4 hour gig going to the New Stadium fund and even in the name of my client if they so choose and that will be ongoing no matter who our UNT AD is or who is working in the UNT Athletic Dept. That is a personal (and signed by both parties) contract betweeen this UNT alum to any other GMG.com poster or UNT alum or Mean Green fan in general.

I can't do much more than that on a larger scale until I perhaps win the Publishing Clearing House $10 million then I guess I will give enough to UNT after their first fat check comes in as to really give me a big, big say at UNT--is that how it works now? :rolleyes: My answer to that is: No............and go ahead and start some more GMG.com-based urban tales if you wish just like the one that sprang from this board on what would get Chico hired at UNT as far as number of wins was concerned?

Quite frankly, I liked my response letter with a real signature from Dr. Rawlins from a 2 page letter that I sent to him certified mail about 3 weeks ago and you know what? He seemed sincerely interested in what a 35 plus year alum had to say and he didn't even ask me how much I was worth or how much I had given or if I was a Democrat or Republican or member of the Tea Party or whatever the hell else. :blink::) (Those kind of personal questions seemed to be reserved only for a few on GoMeanGreen.com to ask and not the Office of the University of North Texas President--there is a huge difference among the 2 styles, too, for what thats worth).

I would like to think any UNT grad is considered a stockholder (if you will) at our alma mater and has an opinion to share. If 1 or 2 on this board start getting back into that very (condescending) legalistic air of that "how much do "YOU" give compared to what "I" give" crapola again you will run off more of the kinds of fans that will help us fill our new stadium than you will bring in. Unless there is an agenda or just in general a whole bunch of sour grapes of the way things are going, we know that no sincere and well-meaning UNT alum would pull that kind of stunt, right?

GMG!

* Most FW area DJ's charge $1,000 to $1,400 for a 4 hour Wedding Reception or other events.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Someone who knows please give us the contribution scale so we will know how much influence X amount given to this particular UNT Athletic Dept. gives a UNT alum:

If I Get Only 1 UNT Alum A Year To Use Our DJ Service That Is Still $400 For UNT's New Stadium Fund............I still have my DJ deal going with half of * $800 for a 4 hour event (not just Wedding Receptions, either; partys, birthdays, reunions, karaoke-fest, corporate events, etc.); yet with half of the amount for a 4 hour gig going to the New Stadium fund and even in the name of my client if they so choose and that will be ongoing no matter who our UNT AD is or who is working in the UNT Athletic Dept. That is a personal (and signed by both parties) contract betweeen this UNT alum to any other GMG.com poster or UNT alum or Mean Green fan in general.

I can't do much more than that on a larger scale until I perhaps win the Publishing Clearing House $10 million then I guess I will give enough to UNT after their first fat check comes in as to really give me a big, big say at UNT--is that how it works now? :rolleyes: My answer to that is: No............and go ahead and start some more GMG.com-based urban tales if you wish just like the one that sprang from this board on what would get Chico hired at UNT as far as number of wins was concerned?

Quite frankly, I liked my response letter with a real signature from Dr. Rawlins from a 2 page letter that I sent to him certified mail about 3 weeks ago and you know what? He seemed sincerely interested in what a 35 plus year alum had to say and he didn't even ask me how much I was worth or how much I had given or if I was a Democrat or Republican or member of the Tea Party or whatever the hell else. :blink::) (Those kind of personal questions seemed to be reserved only for a few on GoMeanGreen.com to ask and not the Office of the University of North Texas President--there is a huge difference among the 2 styles, too, for what thats worth).

I would like to think any UNT grad is considered a stockholder (if you will) at our alma mater and has an opinion to share. If 1 or 2 on this board start getting back into that very (condescending) legalistic air of that "how much do "YOU" give compared to what "I" give" crapola again you will run off more of the kinds of fans that will help us fill our new stadium than you will bring in. Unless there is an agenda or just in general a whole bunch of sour grapes of the way things are going, we know that no sincere and well-meaning UNT alum would pull that kind of stunt, right?

GMG!

* Most FW area DJ's charge $1,000 to $1,400 for a 4 hour Wedding Reception or other events.

Not about who gives more. It is admirable that you give what you can and make the sacrifice with your business to help the stadium fund, but that doesn't mean you get a voice on choosing the coach. Yes, community opinion is taken into account, but it is a very small percentage of the decision making process. RV's job is on the line with this hire. He is going to do what he (and Rawlins, apparently) think is best for this university. We are not privy to any inside information that they have, and we should not be.

I'm kinda with NT03. I loved the Dodge hire, but it sucked. Maybe not liking this hire is a good sign.