Canales Fanfare

BIG DAWG

I guess I just don't get all this fanfare over such short period of time. The only "good" team he has played he lost to in La-monroe. The only wins he had were against doormat western Kentucky and a bad mtsu team. Yes, they are wins none the less, but it isn't like he beating the best in the belt.

I am not saying I am against the guy, but I am hearing people on the board comparing him to Hayden Fry and talking about how he is the "perfect" guy for the job.

My question is how in the world can people say these things after a month of him being in charge? Sounds incredibly quick to me for people to be saying these things.

If he weren't the oc here, and his name came up in the rumor mill as has some other names, I don't think the fanfare would be near as great. Let's not jump on his band wagon after two wins against some not so good teams. After all, keeping games close against the better sunbelt teams doesn't matter...right?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I guess I just don't get all this fanfare over such short period of time. The only "good" team he has played he lost to in La-monroe. The only wins he had were against doormat western Kentucky and a bad mtsu team. Yes, they are wins none the less, but it isn't like he beating the best in the belt.

I am not saying I am against the guy, but I am hearing people on the board comparing him to Hayden Fry and talking about how he is the "perfect" guy for the job.

My question is how in the world can people say these things after a month of him being in charge? Sounds incredibly quick to me for people to be saying these things.

If he weren't the oc here, and his name came up in the rumor mill as has some other names, I don't think the fanfare would be near as great. Let's not jump on his band wagon after two wins against some not so good teams. After all, keeping games close against the better sunbelt teams doesn't matter...right?

to put his 2 wins " against not so good teams "in perspective, we were underdogs in both games, so those " not so good teams" are preceived by odds makers as better than us. [ mild upsets?]

• Upvote 1

Where ya' been, Big Dawg?

You do know UNT just last week re-signed super NCAA consultant Chuck Neinas to another contract to get a A-list of coach's names and he will probably aim high is my guess...but for $40,000 plus expenses most don't think he will hire anyone in Denton or from Coach Dodges staff (and it still is Coach Dodges' staff). Being redundant all over again :huh: but I think Coach C could have been the right guy but at the absolutely wrong time in our history as it is now.

UNT needs to hit a grand slam home run with this hire and is why many of us think Dr. Rawlins re-commissioined Neinas to find one who can hit that grand slam.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He is not necessarily the perfect guy for the job...

But I would argue he is the perfect "type" guy for the job...

He is not necessarily the perfect guy for the job...

But I would argue he is the perfect "type" guy for the job...

I can agree with this statement. I would back the guy if he does get the job, but I just don't understand all the hate against all the other guys being named. Imean the guy from Iowa St. Had the cyclones playing pretty damn good ball when he was there...Iowa St for pete's sake. Kragthorpe also did a really good job Tulsa who I think is pretty similar to us, maybe put us ahead of them with our new stadium. The RCA guy from James Madison I am not so sold on, but lets give RV some credit. He has hired some good coaches bother than the Dodge experiment.

Let's not just go Canales or bust after 2 wins against some not so good teams.

I don't think we need to waste any more time arguing the merits or worthiness of Canales the North Texas head coach.

It seems like he's going to get a hell of a recommendation, well earned, for whatever his next head coaching opportunity winds up being.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

I never heard anyone comparing Chico to Fry and if they did I would put that person on my ignore list.... silly talk I say

that said , I have nothing against Canales. He's a very nice guy and good coach

I think Silver has as for as how Canales goes about "selling" the coaching, that is the comparison I have heard. But '03, he has coached within the Fry tree for several years. He coached under Mike Stoops at AZ who played for Fry. Coached under Leavitt who coached under Snyder, and of course you know that connection. He did mention today on the coach's show that at both stops, they had Fry's coaching books.

I have become a fan of Canales, and if the announcement on Monday or Tuesday is not Canales and is not a big name coach, then I will be unimpressed. Why?

Look at what he took over:

1. A team full of injuries

2. A team being led by a third string quarterback.

3. The third string quarterback has a broken, non-throwing wrist.

4. The third string quarterback was previously moved to another position because of injuries to his throwing arm that limited his effectiveness.

5. Oh, the third string QB's father was just fired as the head coach.

6. The team lost a teammate in a car accident.

7. The DC had allegedly already cleaned out his office.

8. The team had won 6 games in the previous 4 years.

I have been impressed with the job Coach Canales has done because, in spite of the above points, he has rallied the team, made them believe they could win, promoted the heck out of a program he basically has one year invested in and has a fantastic resume. That is why I have been impressed with Canales.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I have become a fan of Canales, and if the announcement on Monday or Tuesday is not Canales and is not a big name coach, then I will be unimpressed. Why?

Look at what he took over:

1. A team full of injuries

2. A team being led by a third string quarterback.

3. The third string quarterback has a broken, non-throwing wrist.

4. The third string quarterback was previously moved to another position because of injuries to his throwing arm that limited his effectiveness.

5. Oh, the third string QB's father was just fired as the head coach.

6. The team lost a teammate in a car accident.

7. The DC had allegedly already cleaned out his office.

8. The team had won 6 games in the previous 4 years.

I have been impressed with the job Coach Canales has done because, in spite of the above points, he has rallied the team, made them believe they could win, promoted the heck out of a program he basically has one year invested in and has a fantastic resume. That is why I have been impressed with Canales.

I'd like to hear about any other coach, especially from anyone's dream list, that could do the same thing in the same time frame. Or who would get out into the community and do a sincere sell job for the program.

Most coaches who have been HC's at bigger programs are used to meeting with big monied doners and selling THEM on their program. Anyone who takes over here has to be willing to go out and sell EVERYONE.

I'd like to hear about any other coach, especially from anyone's dream list, that could do the same thing in the same time frame. Or who would get out into the community and do a sincere sell job for the program.

Most coaches who have been HC's at bigger programs are used to meeting with big monied doners and selling THEM on their program. Anyone who takes over here has to be willing to go out and sell EVERYONE.

Leavitt, Leach, Fran, McCarney, Bowden (either one), Thomason, and just about any other college coach out there.

Coach Canales beat a bad WKU team and a MUTS team that was falling apart at the seams. Put any of the other coaches in the same scenerio here, and every single one of them wins those 2 games.

Put these same coaches in the same situation as Canales (interm coach that is an underdog for the permanent position, and has no other head coaching possibilities), and they would do everything possible to show the AD that they wanted the job.

I think we all need to realize that we have had terrible head coaching for so long that even an average college coach could have taken this thing over and looked like the next coming of Bear Bryant.