When Is The Next Time Unt Will Be In A Position

MizzouTigers

I don't think UNT is ever going to find any better coaches than Mike Leach, Dennis Franchione and Jim Leavitt. I'm pretty confident Mike Leach is not interested in the job and I don't know if Franchione is, but it is known Leavitt is definitely interested.

Should Leavitt be given the benefit of the doubt balanced against what he could do for the program in the next 4 years?

Even if RV has a problem with the allegations against Leavitt, why are they not offering the job to Fran?

Why waste time looking any further?

• Upvote 1

To answer your question...any time UNT is in the market for a new head football coach, that's when. There will always...ALWAYS...be several good choices on the market anytime the need might arise. The better question might be, "when will UNT have the chance again to hire a great coach as their HC who is already on the staff and working hard to improve the program both on and off the field?"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I don't think UNT is ever going to find any better coaches than Mike Leach, Dennis Franchione and Jim Leavitt. I'm pretty confident Mike Leach is not interested in the job and I don't know if Franchione is, but it is known Leavitt is definitely interested.

Should Leavitt be given the benefit of the doubt balanced against what he could do for the program in the next 4 years?

Even if RV has a problem with the allegations against Leavitt, why are they not offering the job to Fran?

Why waste time looking any further?

How do you know that we haven't already asked one, two, or all three of them? We are using Neinas - and by using Neinas, we can ask these questions through him - without having to release it to the newspapers or fanboys on the internet. That way if one, two, or all three of them turn us down - we can offer ole Chico the job and tell him (and the world) that he was the Number 1 choice from Day 1. Everyone feels good and nobody gets their feelings hurt. You notice that RV has not commented on this coaching search at all? That is by design. Believe it or not, they know what they are doing without the advice of internet posters :);):) I think that they have learned from past mistakes (or Lane has taught them a thing or two)!

Edited by stebo
  • Upvote 4

How do you know that we haven't already asked one, two, or all three of them? We are using Neinas - and by using Neinas, we can ask these questions through him - without having to release it to the newspapers or fanboys on the internet. That way if one, two, or all three of them turn us down - we can offer ole Chico the job and tell him (and the world) that he was the Number 1 choice from Day 1. Everyone feels good and nobody gets their feelings hurt. You notice that RV has not commented on this coaching search at all? That is by design. Believe it or not, they know what they are doing without the advice of internet posters :);):) I think that they have learned from past mistakes (or Lane has taught them a thing or two)!

Damn, I can only give you 1 +1!

To answer your question...any time UNT is in the market for a new head football coach, that's when. There will always...ALWAYS...be several good choices on the market anytime the need might arise. The better question might be, "when will UNT have the chance again to hire a great coach as their HC who is already on the staff and working hard to improve the program both on and off the field?"

I simply disagree. UNT cannot afford $2,000,000.00 a year caliber coaches nor would they normally consider UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Then what are they waiting for? Go back and listen to RV's podcast. He said he wanted a coach and coaching staff in place by the end of the season with the exception of maybe a couple of assistance that still have bowl games. The end of the season is in 6 days.

Then what are they waiting for? Go back and listen to RV's podcast. He said he wanted a coach and coaching staff in place by the end of the season with the exception of maybe a couple of assistance that still have bowl games. The end of the season is in 6 days.

I'd rather we take the time and get it right; on the other hand, if it resulted in your leaving us, I guess then 6 days it is. Again, we all understand what you're saying: Hire Jim Leavitt, have RV call him now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As stated before, a Jim Leavitt hire would be great and...

...our loss to ULM does not diminish my feelings of Coach Chico at all--he is obviously a talented coach but still probably the right coach but at the wrong damn time of our school's athletic history--new stadium and all...I still would love for Coach C to be Assistant Head Football Coach/O.C. with a Leavitt hire. Just my .02

GMG!

• Upvote 1

As stated before, a Jim Leavitt hire would be great and...

...our loss to ULM does not diminish my feelings of Coach Chico at all--he is obviously a talented coach but still probably the right coach but at the wrong damn time of our school's athletic history--new stadium and all...I still would love for Coach C to be Assistant Head Football Coach/O.C. with a Leavitt hire. Just my .02

GMG!

I still think it's odd that so many here talk about what assistants should/would stay if a certain head coach is hired. That's all simply left up to head coach hires except in Pro ball under guys like Jerry Jones.

He is probably waiting for the best candidate to make up his mind. We don't really know - and that is the whole point. We spent 40 grand to let Neinas do his magic. Just put some trust in that, cool?

I'm sorry, but Leavitt just doesn't do much for me.

Is his body of work that spectacular? Good enough to ignore the negatives? Forget the allegations, I'm talking about his history of undisciplined play by his teams.

He has been at one place as a HC. Yes he helped build USF but he had a losing conference record overall and never finished higher than Tied for 3rd in conference. He hit #2 one year but then tanked after that, losing three in a row....

It seems to me that USF would be a place that is not difficult to recruit athletes to. See FIU and FAU. If Leavitt had done a better job coaching that talent, instilled discipline, etc. He would not have had a losing overall record in conference. Against arguably less talented teams.

He seems like as big a risk as Canales in my opinion and we've actually SEEN what he can do here.

He is probably waiting for the best candidate to make up his mind. We don't really know - and that is the whole point. We spent 40 grand to let Neinas do his magic. Just put some trust in that, cool?

I'd sure put more trust in Neinas than I would in simply thinking that your AD "knows what he's doing." Maybe he does. However, there are dozens of examples nationwide at every level that ADs did NOT know what they were doing when they unilaterally hired a head coach.

Regarding Leavitt, having researched him a bit, he looks like he would be a very good candidate. However, knowing how Neinas works, the man is sure to be privy to information about Leavitt that none of us are. I'm not saying he won't recommend Leavitt. What I'm saying is that he will have vetted every candidate thoroughly so that if he in fact recommends Leavitt, that should confirm that, as some have argued on this board, USF just wanted to get rid of him and used the locker room incident as an excuse to void his contract. If, OTOH, Neinas recommends somebody else, I think you can infer from that there were aspects of Leavitt's firing that haven't become public knowledge. Probably things which predated the locker room incident.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it is completely fair for us to judge Canales on the games this season. He came into a tough situation and had to work just to get the players to respond. I think for the future of the program though, it is best for them to hire a coach with credible experience and a recognized name. Fact is, that this program needs a FRESH start now. We can't afford to go through another Dodge-type catastrophe. It would kill our football program. Hire Leavitt. It's what is best.

I'm all for Canales.

1) He's here.

2) We know he wants the job.

3) I suspect he's in our price range.

4) And I think the players like him and respond to him.

Hire him.

1) Why does that matter?

2) Apparently others do too.

3) I'm sure he is but how do you know others aren't?

4) One of SDSU's worst hires ever is the time they let some players sit on the hiring committee and none have been allowed to do so since.

I'm not saying UNT shouldn't hire Canales. However, with due respect, unless others who are interested are outside your "price range," I don't think you've given a single reason why he should be hired as opposed to somebody else. Rather, I think you've simply given reasons why he should be considered and it's apparent he IS being considered.

1) Why does that matter?

4) One of SDSU's worst hires ever is the time they let some players sit on the hiring committee and none have been allowed to do so since.

I'm not saying UNT shouldn't hire Canales. However, with due respect, unless others who are interested are outside your "price range," I don't think you've given a single reason why he should be hired as opposed to somebody else. Rather, I think you've simply given reasons why he should be considered and it's apparent he IS being considered.

With all due respect, why your sudden concern over who we hire? I believe you stated you are a fan of SDSU, so I am curious what your connection is to North Texas.

Is his body of work that spectacular? Good enough to ignore the negatives? Forget the allegations, I'm talking about his history of undisciplined play by his teams.

He has been at one place as a HC. Yes he helped build USF but he had a losing conference record overall and never finished higher than Tied for 3rd in conference. He hit #2 one year but then tanked after that, losing three in a row....

It seems to me that USF would be a place that is not difficult to recruit athletes to. See FIU and FAU. If Leavitt had done a better job coaching that talent, instilled discipline, etc. He would not have had a losing overall record in conference. Against arguably less talented teams.

He seems like as big a risk as Canales in my opinion and we've actually SEEN what he can do here.

I don't think it's fair to throw out where they came from. The program didn't even exist 13 years. And for it to reach the heights it did...that is a miracle job if you ask me.

1) Why does that matter?

When I buy a car I always have to remind myself that I need to look at at least 2 or 3 others before I make a decision and when I've done that--I'm always glad that I did.

This hire is so different than any we've had in our entire athletic history and for that reason, we have to defer to what Chuck Neinas comes up with and who our powers decide fits the bill after seeing his recommendation. My hope is for a dynamic name hire that will cause us to all think or say: "You mean he really wants to come to North Texas? WOW!" :blink:

now i don't feel so all alone. good post.

I can't believe you're dismissing a guy building a school from no football program at all to Big East membership and a No. 2 ranking in under 15 years. At one point USF was the top program in Florida over Florida, FSU and Miami. Is there a Mean Green fan other than you who would not be ecstatic at those results?

I don't think it's fair to throw out where they came from. The program didn't even exist 13 years. And for it to reach the heights it did...that is a miracle job if you ask me.

I can't believe you're dismissing a guy building a school from no football program at all to Big East membership and a No. 2 ranking in under 15 years. At one point USF was the top program in Florida over Florida, FSU and Miami. Is there a Mean Green fan other than you who would not be ecstatic at those results?

There have been 3 "startups" in Florida recently. All 3 saw success in a short period of time. USF, FAU, and now FIU. They all had success on different levels, but success none the less. So I just question if it was being in ground zero of arguably the best talent pool in the country or was it the head coaches?

I think Leavitt had a pretty good situation there. Yes he built it from nothing but I'm guessing he couldn't have done that in Ohio.

And USF had a losing record in CUSA the year before they went to the Big East. Again, was it their product on the field? I just think their location had a lot to do with their growth. Look out that window.....I think 50 guys could have done what Leavitt did at USF.

USF was the top program in Florida?.....maybe for 1 week. (I would have to argue that they were NOT better than U of Florida)

He recruited talent but didn't coach it up. Tops in the nation in penalties every year, what does that tell you? What good is being able to recruit talent if you can't coach it. See the pro team there in Arlington.

Leavitt just scares me a little that's all. I think there are more questions with him than answers.

There have been 3 "startups" in Florida recently. All 3 saw success in a short period of time. USF, FAU, and now FIU. They all had success on different levels, but success none the less.

I don't see how you can possibly compare the success at USF under Leavitt to FAU and FIU.

FIU has never had a winning season at the FBS level. FAU went 8-5 one year and 7-6 another and were co-Sun Belt champs in 2007, but that's not even in the ballpark of going 9-4, 9-4 and 8-5 in the Big East.

Leavitt coached one of the most successful startups in NCAA football history. I was here in Florida when that program was just getting into I-AA. No one would have thought it possible for them to achieve what they did in so short a time.

Of course I would be ecstatic with those results. But I can't compare UNT to USF unless you moved the campus to Florida...Apples and Oranges IMHO.

It is not easier for USF to recruit in Florida than it is for UNT to recruit in Texas. Both of the schools are giant schools with undersized alumni support and little juice in the state lege. Both of them have a bunch of in-state schools with storied histories and big names gobbling up recruits.

If it's so easy to recruit here, why is UCF not experiencing the same success as USF? It's the same kind of situation as Leavitt faced in Tampa.

I don't see how you can possibly compare the success at USF under Leavitt to FAU and FIU.

FIU has never had a winning season at the FBS level. FAU went 8-5 one year and 7-6 another and were co-Sun Belt champs in 2007, but that's not even in the ballpark of going 9-4, 9-4 and 8-5 in the Big East.

Leavitt coached one of the most successful startups in NCAA football history. I was here in Florida when that program was just getting into I-AA. No one would have thought it possible for them to achieve what they did in so short a time.

The point I was trying to make is that all 3 had success quickly. Different levels I understand that. FIU hasn't had a winning record yet but they'll probably win the conference this year and I won't be surprised if they're favored to win it next year. Athletes everywhere.

Yes, Leavitt did a great job building a program but we already have a program. Who is going to come in here and coach this team to their full potential. That's what I want.

And I'm just not sure Leavitt can do it. Having built a program aside, (like i said, we don't need to build a program) look at every BCS conference in the country and find a coach that was in the middle of the pack at best every year. That's what Jim Leavitt is. I have no doubt he recruited talent, I just don't think he won as much as he could have with it....he won 9 games a couple of seasons yes, in the weakest BCS conference in the country. The Big East is an AQ conference yes, and every year it's debated if they should be.

Like I said, he just scares me a little and I don't think he's the slam dunk others do.