Were We At Least Semi-Competitive Against Kansas?

agw0038

I was not able to view the game so i was hoping you guys could fill me in.

I can almost guess why we lost....

we more than likely tried to run a fast-break up-tempo style against a team that was faster than us and that could out rebound us. And then the game was probably close in the first half and then their bigs took over in the second.

Am i close?

Also, how are far away are we from becoming a team that could give a power-program like KU a serious problem?

I believe we have enough talent now to give a good program a run for their money but it has to be the right match-up. IMO, that is the biggest difference between this current cast of NT players and the ones that went dancing in 2007. Those players were just taller. We had the same type of offense, the same types of good post players, the same types of quick slashing gaurds who could shoot the 3; they were just taller. That's why in 07 we gave Memphis so much more of a harder time than we did KSU last year.

• Downvote 1

we more than likely tried to run a fast-break up-tempo style against a team that was faster than us and that could out rebound us. And then the game was probably close in the first half and then their bigs took over in the second.

Not really, we tried to set it up most every time but were severely outmatched.

Am i close?

Also, how are far away are we from becoming a team that could give a power-program like KU a serious problem?

A long way. We lack height and ball handlers. I would say the team also lacks a consistent shooter (other than maybe Thompson)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just my opinion but in basketball, moreso than most other sports, good defense can really help offensive production/stats.

I did not see the game, but based on what I read in the AP, our players really really had trouble with Kansas size/length.

Put KU's lineup against our less-than sizeable guards and you get a whole bag of match up problems: we have trouble penetrating against their length, and their quickness lets them get into our lanes and create havoc within our flow.

We will probably not see another team like this all year, and thank God we don't have to play in The Phog again. I am disappointed we could not keep it to about 20, but I wouldn't read too much into this kind of loss.

Hopefully this is a great learning experience for our guys.

• Upvote 2

I agree with adh. This KU team is loaded....big, quick and athletic and will bury you inside and out. To only be down by 9 points at halftime was quite a feat. The scary thing is we might see them again if we make the tourney, but right now they look like a clear one seed...although it's still early. Duke vs Kansas would be fun to watch and there is a good chance we could see it in early April.

The biggest things I took away:

Points off turnovers-NT 6,KU 18. We literally passed the ball (defender was clearly in front of he player we were passing to) to Kansas on at least three different occasions which went the other way for points....hesitancy, frustration and just poor ball movement resulted in this lopsided stat. We need to take care of the ball better...it isn't just Kansas that this happens against. We need to really focus on the importance of ball handling and passing. This is fundamental part of the game that teams just don't focus on as much anymore from pee-wee all the way up to the NBA. It's a shame because when it is a priority it makes basketball such a great game to watch.

Fast break points-NT 8,KU 19 - All night on offense one shot and done..this was the biggest thing I noticed....they seemed to smother us on the boards. We had to shoot well, especially from 3 point range to keep it close and 0-12 from 3 point range will get this team beat against the Sun Belt let alone Kansas.

Just like the Kansas State game last year - they shut down Josh..the big schools have guards just as quick and are bigger that really frustrate him..and they did....thank goodness for Tristan (just like against KSU in tourney) or this would have been even worse.....he really seems to turn it on against the big teams and he is fast becoming my favorite player. Depth as well.....Kansas really didn't miss a beat with their bench against us and our starters were worn out in the second half but they played hard and never gave up and there is something to be said for a team like that.

The good news is every game is winnable from here on out! Use the game as a great learning tool about about how far we still need to go and bring on RICE!

GMG!