Todd Dodge Contract

bdan2002

I am attaching Coach Dodge's contract for you to look at. TD Contract

There are a few interesting clauses in the contract:

- If TD were to get fired, UNT would owe him about $440,000 (2 years of base salary, including 5% increases), which comes out to about $18,000 per month (24 months of remaining contract)

- That UNT has the right to reassign TD to any position at UNT, in that case he would receive his base salary ($185,000) and benefits. However, if TD refuses to accept the reassignment, then UNT can fire him for just cause - which in that case, UNT can cease all payments to him.

- TD has to make a reasonable effort to obtain comparable employment. At that time, UNT's financial responsibility will with be reduced or cease. If TD does not notify UNT 10 days after official employment, then all financial obligations shall cease.

- If TD quits, he has to pay back 1 year of his salary to UNT.

- If TD were to get fired, UNT would owe him about $440,000 (2 years of base salary, including 5% increases), which comes out to about $18,000 per month (24 months of remaining contract)

- That UNT has the right to reassign TD to any position at UNT, in that case he would receive his base salary ($185,000) and benefits. However, if TD refuses to accept the reassignment, then UNT can fire him for just cause - which in that case, UNT can cease all payments to him.

- TD has to make a reasonable effort to obtain comparable employment. At that time, UNT's financial responsibility will with be reduced or cease. If TD does not notify UNT 10 days after official employment, then all financial obligations shall cease.

If this were a multiple choice test I'd be filling in the "B" circle right now with my sharpened No. 2...

• Upvote 1

First, I want to be very clear in stating that Dodge's contract is public information because he is employed by a state university. His contract is easily obtainable via the USA Today coaches salary database, along with all the other contracts of coaches (both HC and Assistants) that are employed by state universities. Posting the actual contract or details therein violate no confidentiality clauses.

I was looking over this earlier this week and I think you missed the biggest "interesting clause" (at least to me). That being the "Season Completion Payment" on Attachment "A" that pays him $20,000 upon the "completion" of a season. The exact wording reads:

Season Completion Payment: Upon the conclusion of each football season, including participation in any NCAA sanctioned bowl game, in which Coach serves the entire season in the capacity of Head Coach, Coach shall be entitled to payment of any specified Season Completion Payment. No payment shall be earned and no payment made for any season in which Coach does not serve in the capacity of Head Coach for the entire season, including any NCAA sanctioned bowl game in which UNT may be invited to participate.

$20K may not sound like a lot, but I think it may be enough incentive to provoke a decision prior to the end of the season.

$20K may not sound like a lot, but I think it may be enough incentive to provoke a decision prior to the end of the season.

Assuming all tickets sold for a game are $8, a loss of 5,000 tickets sold is $40,000 per game.

Declining attendance plus keeping a coach to complete the season will only add to costs to the department. Better to cut ties and cut costs at the same time.

So, if RV were to reassign him before the season ended what position would he take?

Fundraising? Assistant AD?

I would find it disrespectful to make him an assistant HC under a new HC. I would hope he nor RV would stand for that.

It would also be in poor taste to demote him to a lowly position within the athletic department... janitor or even a strength coach or the like.

Any comments on this? Has any other school done this in the recent past?

After looking at the way the season is playing out and TD's contract, I would not put this past the school... I wouldn't put it past myself if I were in RV's position.

So, if RV were to reassign him before the season ended what position would he take?

Fundraising? Assistant AD?

I would find it disrespectful to make him an assistant HC under a new HC. I would hope he nor RV would stand for that.

It would also be in poor taste to demote him to a lowly position within the athletic department... janitor or even a strength coach or the like.

Any comments on this? Has any other school done this in the recent past?

After looking at the way the season is playing out and TD's contract, I would not put this past the school... I wouldn't put it past myself if I were in RV's position.

I think it has happened at other schools before you just don't hear about it because the HC resigns rather than go through the humiliation in getting demoted to some low level desk job in the AD/university.

At UT - they have a person that is the Director of High School Relations and Player Development. Here is his job description on the site:

A veteran of 29 seasons as a collegiate assistant coach, including 20 tutoring running backs, nine in the state of Texas and 12 in the Southwest, Ken Rucker enters his soxth season at The University of Texas. He begins his third year in the position of director of high school relations and player development after spending three years as running backs coach.

Rucker works extensively with the High School Coaches Clinic and summer camps while assisting with the development of the Longhorn football players. He also works closely in managing prospects visits on campus and coordinating campus and facility tours for unofficial visits. In working with the current team, Rucker helps manage and oversee many of their off-the-field responsibilities while assisting in their community service efforts.

At UT - they have a person that is the Director of High School Relations and Player Development. Here is his job description on the site:

A veteran of 29 seasons as a collegiate assistant coach, including 20 tutoring running backs, nine in the state of Texas and 12 in the Southwest, Ken Rucker enters his soxth season at The University of Texas. He begins his third year in the position of director of high school relations and player development after spending three years as running backs coach.

Rucker works extensively with the High School Coaches Clinic and summer camps while assisting with the development of the Longhorn football players. He also works closely in managing prospects visits on campus and coordinating campus and facility tours for unofficial visits. In working with the current team, Rucker helps manage and oversee many of their off-the-field responsibilities while assisting in their community service efforts.

Great idea.

All of this is already known because we went over it the past two off-seasons.

The problem is - once we beat FIU and WKU, we'll be on the verge of breaking even for the year and will have crossed the Darrell Dickey 3-Win Threshold at long last. Then, you will all have egg on your faces for doubting this coaching staff.

DO NOT underestimate the power of this battle station! IT IS fully operational as you, and Princess Leia, will see on Saturday!

Leia+%26+Darth+Vader.jpg

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Downvote 1

The problem is - once we beat FIU and WKU, we'll be on the verge of breaking even for the year and will have crossed the Darrell Dickey 3-Win Threshold at long last. Then, you will all have egg on your faces for doubting this coaching staff.

DO NOT underestimate the power of this battle station! IT IS fully operational as you, and Princess Leia, will see on Saturday!

Leia+%26+Darth+Vader.jpg

260px-Luke_Skywalker_Ep6_DVD.jpg

I sense the good in you, TFLF.

• Upvote 1

What if they gave Dodge a job in the mail room looking for Pepe Silvia? That way, he could share the salary with the current mail guy and they could both get benefits.

tumblr_l6rhd2ZsaM1qaxjpbo1_500.jpg

• Upvote 4

Leia+%26+Darth+Vader.jpg

Todd Dodge: This Mean Green Death Star is indestructable.

Mario Cristobal: Completetly indestructable?

Todd Dodge: Indestructable!!!!

Mario Cristobal: Well that's scary. Hey, what's this coaching hole I see over here? Yeah, it's about the size of a wombat.

Todd Dodge: What hole?

Mario Cristobal: This one right here.

Todd Dodge: I don't see a thing. Pay no attention folks, nothing to see here, keep moving along....

• Downvote 1

Season Completion Payment: Upon the conclusion of each football season, including participation in any NCAA sanctioned bowl game, in which Coach serves the entire season in the capacity of Head Coach, Coach shall be entitled to payment of any specified Season Completion Payment. No payment shall be earned and no payment made for any season in which Coach does not serve in the capacity of Head Coach for the entire season, including any NCAA sanctioned bowl game in which UNT may be invited to participate.

This section was probably added because they expected he would be really successful here and would pull a Brian Kelly/Rich Rodriguez and not coach us in whatever bowl game he took us to.

If memory serves, I believe that Matt Simon was "reassigned" prior to his departure. And I think Dickey was hired during the same period. This case is different as it was in the spring-

Yes. Here is the article about it.

"This is the type of issue on which Helwig and Simon fell out months ago, leaving Simon reassigned Thursday to facilities management or something like that."

http://www.texnews.com/1998/texsports/craig0221.html