9/11: Honor America Day At Fouts Field...

PlummMeanGreen

I hope that UNT has some special things done and/or said to commemorate this day.

Where Were You? I was getting ready for my school recruiting job when (with WBAP and Hal Jay turned on) I heard the first breaking news report of a plane hitting the WTC. The reporter first thought it might have been a Cessna kind of plane at first--he quickly changed his mind.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

PS Sometimes we are just too nice a people here in Amercia to where drug cartels and extremist religious zealouts "temporarily" take advantage of our generosity (and personal freedoms) until they quickly discover all they've done is awake a sleeping giant--that's when they find that their own world will soon become a living hell.

Where Were You? I was getting ready for my school recruiting job when (with WBAP and Hal Jay turned on) I heard the first breaking news report of a plane hitting the WTC. The reporter first thought it might have been a Cessna kind of plane at first--he quickly changed his mind.

I was sitting outside of a classroom in Wooten Hall waiting for my first class of the day. It was a US History class. Some sorority chick came up and sat down next to some other sorority chick and said, "Omigosh, did you hear someone tried to blow up the World Trade Center?" I thought, "Oh, that happened in the 90's and it was pretty pathetic, so I think it's OK." Once we get about 20 minutes into class (on a Tuesday, so it was a 90min class), the dean of History popped his head in the door and said that we need to turn on the TV because history is happening. Our crochety old, former Marine professor said "no" because we had too much stuff to cover. Both towers fell during that class. I drove back to my apt. afterward and watched CNN all day, in total shock.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

My wife and I were getting ready for work and running a bit late. My wife always listens to KRLD (sadly not the KRLD of her/our youth) while getting ready for work. I was in another room so she called out to me to check national TV news, because it was reported that a plane had run into one of the world trade towers, and the tower was on fire. I tuned into NBC, which had a news copter across the river that had a camera on the event. As I stood there watching the coverage, an object came into the screen moving right to left. At first I thought it might be an "official" plane sent over to assess the situation. It never veered of it's orignal course and then slammed into the other tower. I couldn't believe my eyes. So that's where I was....standing in front of the TV watching the second half of this tragedy unfold.

So no, I'll never forget.

I'll also never forget one of the basic tenets that the church in which I was brought up believes.....Evil has no power other than what we give it.

Edited by SilverEagle

I was at work in my office job on a "normal" Tuesday. A co-worker said " A plane just hit the World Trade Center". My first thought was that I remember that a bomber had hit the Empire State Building back in the 1940's in bad weather. I thought it was probably the same situation. I logged into CNN and saw the pictures. It looked pretty bad and I thought that it was strange the the sky was clear. How did a plane accidentally hit the tower in such clear weather. My co-worker then said " a plane hit the 2nd tower and it was not an accident". Everything changed in that one instant. They brought tv sets up to our office on the 18th floor in downtown Dallas and we watched in horror the rest of the day. It was surreal like a bad dream. The day moved in slow motion. Our 42 story office was at the end of the Love field runway and needless to say we were all concerned about the ease with which a plane could hit our building.

I was two weeks into high school in New Hampshire....sitting in second period English, our principal came over the loud speaker and said the towers in New York have been hit and that she would get back to us with more information. My teacher said screw that and we went to the empty class room next door and tried to use their TV's but it didn't have any channels (just used for videos)so we turned on the radio and listened to them talk as the second plane hit and the pentagon got hit...finally about 2 hours later after the towers had fallen they let us watch it on TV in the auditorium. Scariest thing about it was the girl in my class running out of the room screaming because her dad worked in one of the towers....i will never forget this day and were i was....God Bless America and everyone who lost their life on 9/11

I was in preacher training school when one of the students came in and told those of us studying in the classroom that a plane had hit one of the twin towers. Everybody started wondering what kind of pilot would crash into the World Trade Center. Remembering that the WTC had been a terrorist target before, I got to wondering if that was not a possibility. When the second hit, that removed all doubt.

When I was working as a financial advisor, I had done three weeks of training at the WTC. I am sure that some of those that I had contact with during that time lost their lives. My sister was also living and working in NYC at the time, and her roommate worked at the WTC. Although there was no official evacuation when she left her 31st story office, she made it down the stairs. I don't think everyone in her office made it out. A very scary and sad day for our nation.

fire-fighters-raise-american-flag-in-front-of-world-trade-center-ruins21.jpg

I was getting ready for work and watching the Today Show. I, too, heard the report that a "small commuter plane had crashed into the World Trade Tower" and they went to a live shot. My first thought was, "There's no way that was caused by a small commuter plane." Then the second plane hit as I was watching. In a state of disbelief, I continued getting ready, got in my car and headed to work. On my drive (I don't remember if it was KRLD or the Ticket - turned serious) but that's when I first started hearing all the rumors....they have 20-30 planes, they hit the White House, etc, mass chaos. I also heard that the all planes had been ordered to land immediately. As I looked up through my windshield, I saw at least 10-15 planes still in the air near DFW and wondered...

When I got to the office news was just starting to circulate. We had two large TVs in our main conference room and everyone sat there glued to the coverage all morning. It was only after seeing the mass exodus of people walking across the bridges that I realized I was actually supposed to be in NY that very morning for business. Luckily, I was informed a week prior that my attendance was not required. Back at my desk, a friend in Brazil kept calling me....frantic because her mother lived and worked in NYC and took the PATH train that goes right under the WTC and she was usually in that vicinity at the time the buildings came crashing down. My friend had been calling her all morning and couldn't get through...naturally, she feared the worst. But her mother was just fine and soon thereafter left the Big Apple for good. After both towers fell, no one in my office really felt like working much. We went to lunch and then decided to just call it a day. I will never forget how quiet the skies were the next four days.

My wife and I went to NYC in 2004, saw the memorial, took the PATH train and viewed the big hole that remained. We walked into the hotel across the street and, five years later, it was still eerily familiar from the dust covered video I'd seen on the news coverage. I was also a bit put off by the street peddlers selling photos of the planes crashing in the WTC at the WTC memorial.