Aren't we overthinking this? Isn't the entire Bass-90 argument based on a differing definition of the word "Superstar"???

90 thinks it's earned over time and related to play and track record, Bass thinks it's based on public interest, magnitude, aura, etc... I agree with Bass (ex: LeBron was a superstar in his first NBA game. Strasburg leads sportscenter when he coughs, sells jerseys faster than they can print them, and has had the best 3-start debut ever = superstar), but that doesn't mean 90 is remotely wrong. It's semantics.

That's like saying who is a bigger superstar, Roy Oswalt or Strasburg? One has had the wonderful career, great record, solid guy, postseason appearances, etc.... the other dominates in butts-in-seats, public interest, posters in kids' rooms, media coverage, etc.... you could say either and be right - it just depends on what "superstar" means to you. To me, it's a term rooted in celebrity. To others, it's rooted in performance.... six on one hand, half a dozen on the other.

We're having fun here, no? Let's all hug!

Thank you. I am sure it will piss off the old guys in the balcony, but if SS has two more outstanding starts, he should be on the NL roster for the ASG.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thank you. I am sure it will piss off the old guys in the balcony, but if SS has two more outstanding starts, he should be on the NL roster for the ASG.

Well, since every team deserves a rep, this isn't even about much more than whether or not it would be better to send Adam Dunn, Pudge or Strasburg. Since he's a late edition anyway with 4-5 more starts to make, let's see if he can win 5 and keep the ERA under 2.50.

Stanton still sucks.

Look, we all know KRAM is great and does more before 8 a.m. than most fans do in a lifetime.

Can we focus on how Norm seems a bit testy whenever Mr. Bass overpraises Stanton and keeps mentioning his tailor-made pitching schedule during his debut?

The schedule is happenstance. They kept him down until June because they wanted to have control of him for an extra year. By brining him up in June the Nats have one extra year and an extra year before he is arbitration eligibe. Are the Nats facing crap teams in interleague play? Yes. But so are your 1st place Rangers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The schedule is happenstance. They kept him down until June because they wanted to have control of him for an extra year. By brining him up in June the Nats have one extra year and an extra year before he is arbitration eligibe. Are the Nats facing crap teams in interleague play? Yes. But so are your 1st place Rangers.

Two objections:

1. They could have brought him up in that competitive series before the Pirates came to town and still not lost the year of control. They knew what they were doing.

2. As I'm typing this, I'm taking a dump that could play .600 baseball in the NL Central. Wait, I guess that's an agreement. I had one objection then.

Edited by Quoner

Let's take it one step further. We all know sheppers is a definite sept call up, so let's put him in the asg for his MLB debut. We all know he is destined for greatness, so why wait?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, since every team deserves a rep, this isn't even about much more than whether or not it would be better to send Adam Dunn, Pudge or Strasburg. Since he's a late edition anyway with 4-5 more starts to make, let's see if he can win 5 and keep the ERA under 2.50.

Stanton still sucks.

The easiest argument to make would be for the Nationals' rep is NL save leader Matt Capps.

With the expansion of the ASG roster I would love to see Strasburg get picked for the team, but I feel that the players and managers who would have to vote him in will tend to side with veteran players. Ol' Bud should do everything in his power to get Strasburg into this game because it would add a "must watch" tag to a game that is just a beating to watch. I am totally for Strasburg to pitch so I can watch SS without actually having to see Nationals play.

so dumb

Better yet, we all know Matt Perk is destined to be a major league all-star one day. Why wait? After he finishes selling jerseys at the College World Series, let's have him pitch in the MLB All-Star game. Imagine the buzz it will create and the Matt Perk All-Star jerseys it would sell. And since he isn't property of any major league team, why not create a Matt Perk jersey for every major league team? That way, everyone could share in the revenue.

Just think of the suspense in the All-Star game when Matt Perk took the mound. Will he be able to get major league batters out? The best major league batters around? Man, it would really add some needed excitment to the all star game.

After all, who really cares what this game is supposed to be about, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Better yet, we all know Matt Perk is destined to be a major league all-star one day. Why wait? After he finishes selling jerseys at the College World Series, let's have him pitch in the MLB All-Star game. Imagine the buzz it will create and the Matt Perk All-Star jerseys it would sell. And since he isn't property of any major league team, why not create a Matt Perk jersey for every major league team? That way, everyone could share in the revenue.

Just think of the suspense in the All-Star game when Matt Perk took the mound. Will he be able to get major league batters out? The best major league batters around? Man, it would really add some needed excitment to the all star game.

After all, who really cares what this game is supposed to be about, right?

The lack of ability to spell SCHEPPERS or PURKE immediately nullifies any argument you have.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The lack of ability to spell SCHEPPERS or PURKE immediately nullifies any argument you have.

Yep, it's all about spelling. Forget that dumb stuff about what a guy is trying to say, it's the spelling that counts. Pretty funny. You know, none of this would have happened if teachers in high school and college actually counted off for spelling mistakes in history, science, econ, etc. classes. We should all realize that spelling only counts in English class, and, of course, on the GMG.com website.

Now, let me hit spellcheck before I post this! :lol:

• Downvote 4

Scheppers was a missed key on my iphone (yes, I am moving into the technological revolution) and Perk IS STILL IN COLLEGE. HE DOESN'T DESERVE TO HAVE HIS NAMED SPELLED RIGHT.

But, Go Rangers, or Senators, or Nationals, or whoever your team of the week dejour maybe.

Yep, it's all about spelling. Forget that dumb stuff about what a guy is trying to say, it's the spelling that counts. Pretty funny. You know, none of this would have happened if teachers in high school and college actually counted off for spelling mistakes in history, science, econ, etc. classes. We should all realize that spelling only counts in English class, and, of course, on the GMG.com website.

Now, let me hit spellcheck before I post this! :lol:

Who the person with no sense of humor who gave me a -1 for that post? Geeeeeeeezzzzzz!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

If you morons want to see SS, he is pitching now on MLB network. He has already fanned 4 through 3IP. Maybe if you actually watched him and witnessed how big of a badass he is you wouldn't go on and sounding so ill-informed.

How can he pitch with you attached to his midsection?

Maybe I do need to evaluate this Hall of Fame thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How can he pitch with you attached to his midsection?

Maybe I do need to evaluate this Hall of Fame thing.

Look ass. I just don't see how anyone that has ever taken in a game or watched one on television can watch him pitch and not admit to themselves that he is beyond special. His fastball reaches triple digits and he has the BEST breaking ball going and he is making his 4th start. If you just watch what the hell I am talking about, I find it hard that even your stubborn ass would disagree that he is head and shoulders better than about 80% of the aces in the bigs.

Why you can't admit that he is not all-star caliber and a legit superstar is just laughable. How many games from lebron did you see before you labeled him as great? I understand you might have certain parameters for greatness built into your head, but to say slow down on this guy is absurd.

As I finish this entry he just fanned the side, 7K's 4IP. Yeah, he doesn't deserve your approval yet.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Better than Ubadlo Himenez and Jim Lincucum?

Because they are protecting his arm a bit and limiting his pitches and innings, he might not be 'better' than them in 2010. But his stuff is just as good.

Curveball? I would say it is better if not on par. The fact all 3 can go upper 90's and even 100MPH it makes their breaking stuff that much more nasty.

The reason I say he has the best breaking ball is because if you notice his delivery and arm slot is almost identical with every type of pitch he throws.

And I like what did you there.

Edited by Green Guy Bass

Look ass. I just don't see how anyone that has ever taken in a game or watched one on television can watch him pitch and not admit to themselves that he is beyond special. His fastball reaches triple digits and he has the BEST breaking ball going and he is making his 4th start. If you just watch what the hell I am talking about, I find it hard that even your stubborn ass would disagree that he is head and shoulders better than about 80% of the aces in the bigs.

Why you can't admit that he is not all-star caliber and a legit superstar is just laughable. How many games from lebron did you see before you labeled him as great? I understand you might have certain parameters for greatness built into your head, but to say slow down on this guy is absurd.

As I finish this entry he just fanned the side, 7K's 4IP. Yeah, he doesn't deserve your approval yet.

6 IP, 9 hits, 9 Ks , 1 run, 95 pitches, Loss

9 hits in 6 innings. Nice strikeout total and only allowed 1 run, but simply mere mortal numbers on the rest of the line. 2-1 and headed to the all star game.

Now to be a little more serious than the previous, oh, 18 posts. He is a talented young kid, but thats all he is right now. He may sell a lot of jerseys, but that ain't production. Let him prove himself with at least a half season of production before we immortalize him, please?

I think I know what his problem was today. I think he had a big old bass swinging between his legs which kinda wore him down. (Couldn't resist).

9 hits in 6 innings. Nice strikeout total and only allowed 1 run, but simply mere mortal numbers on the rest of the line. 2-1 and headed to the all star game.

Now to be a little more serious than the previous, oh, 18 posts. He is a talented young kid, but thats all he is right now. He may sell a lot of jerseys, but that ain't production. Let him prove himself with at least a half season of production before we immortalize him, please?

I think I know what his problem was today. I think he had a big old bass swinging between his legs which kinda wore him down. (Couldn't resist).

You could have brought up Kerry Wood pages ago and won this battle much quicker.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Watch the effing game. Moron.

Oh yeah and of his 95 pitches, 75 were strikes. In 3 of his 4 starts he did not issue a single walk. Kerry Wood wasn't doing shit like this by the way.

Edited by Green Guy Bass
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You could have brought up Kerry Wood pages ago and won this battle much quicker.

I know, but then all this fun would have been missed. I don't think battles are ever completely won on here, they just continue for pages and pages and pages and pages.

Bass, Ive watched him pitch several times. He is a talented kid with a load of potential. Right now, that's all he is. If he continues to do this for the rest of the season, then he will be a great young player. If he continues to do it for the next 3-5 years, he will be a superstar.

As for Kerry Wood, I wouldn't sell him so short:

A prospect in the minor leagues, Wood made his first appearance in the Major Leagues on April 12, 1998. In his fifth career start, on May 6, he threw a one-hit, no walk, 20-strikeout shutout against the Houston Astros, tying Roger Clemens' record for strikeouts in a nine-inning game and breaking Bill Gullickson's single-game rookie record of 18 strikeouts in 1980

Also, 200 strikeouts each year for four of his first 5 years in the league.