Tech Folks Say Mac Rather Than The Belt If No Cusa

There is only one school in Louisiana that can command anything and that is LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY. La. Tech is just like NT, lucky to be in a FBS league.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

NT is not a factor in the SBC or in the DFW area....sorry SMU is back as the Dallas team. See the DMN info in this Sunday paper.

SMU has always been the Dallas team. It's where they're located. Kate Hairopoulas is the beat writer for SMU. Did you expect North Texas to be picked over SMU? Would Brett Vito pick SMU over North Texas?

I don't know how you say that North Texas is not a factor in the SBC. In the last five years of football, that would be true. Before that, four championship seasons. NT stands second in the Bubas Cup rankings but since we do not play baseball could fall to third. That's still significant in the Belt.

In the same DMN Sunday paper, writer Chuck Carlton omitted both SMU and North Texas from expansion. I have no idea if he has an inside opinion or if it is just his own but I'd expect the latter, judging from some of the other choices that he made. Also, he gave no idea as to what happens to the teams that he did not list.

We don't even know how many will be in the revised Big 10. If it's Notre Dame only then everything else could be as you were. Or, some conferences might try to position themselves for better TV deals and either add teams or make a coalition with other conferences.

To say that North Texas is not a player in the DFW market is unconscionable. We have more alumni than any other university and far more potential. To balance that, both TCU and SMU have been major players where we have not. Heretofore, except for our time in the Missouri Valley Conference, we haven't acted as if we wanted higher aspirations. That has changed now. We can't undo the past but the future looks bright. Maybe we need to hire a Paul Tagliabue type to plead our cause.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Sorry, but I am leary of any academic credentials from Louisiana with the exception of Tuland.

Actually La Tech has recently and somewhat mysteriously moved up to a tier 3 national university per US News and Report. A point that in some of their minds makes them academically superior to all the Belt teams. When NT and La Tech were both being considered for CUSA, I looked in depth at what was published academically and NT was ahead in all categories such as selectivity, average entrance exams, programs offered; I wonder how even on the severely faulted USNR ratings they have passed NT. Whatever they have done, maybe NT should copy it, I can't believe that La Tech has any more resources than NT and as ridiculous as these rankings are they do get a lot of publicity.

• Upvote 2

NT is not a factor in the SBC or in the DFW area....sorry SMU is back as the Dallas team. See the DMN info in this Sunday paper.

I think that makes SMU the team of the DMN. When SMU starts selling out home games and turning away fans, we can then call them the team of Dallas.

I used to work with a lot of La Tech grads, and they were no "smarter" or better workers than the ULM grads. It was amazing to me that some of these grads even had a tough time, in written memos, of spelling simple words correctly. You would not believe some of the embarrassing mistakes I had to correct.

I'm not so sure the High Schools there are up to par, and it carries over to college, whether it be ULM or Tech, or elsewhere.

I used to work with a lot of La Tech grads, and they were no "smarter" or better workers than the ULM grads. It was amazing to me that some of these grads even had a tough time, in written memos, of spelling simple words correctly. You would not believe some of the embarrassing mistakes I had to correct.

I'm not so sure the High Schools there are up to par, and it carries over to college, whether it be ULM or Tech, or elsewhere.

Please assume that most of our posters are drunk when reading our message board.

That too. They are hardly their own school's team right now.

I am wondering if this comment should apply in theory to UNT as well at the moment? I still see way too many "other" school t-shirts, jackets and caps being worn around campus, and see way too many empty seats at football and basketball games these days.

I think, as members of GMG.com and the Mean green nation, if we couldn't do more to raise awareness of the great things happening at UNT these days and to help get other UNT Alumni and friends to buy season tickets and come to games? There isn't much I can do on the student attendance side, but I know I can do more on the alumni and "friends" side. Just think of the positive influence we would have if every "frequent poster" here on GMG.com actually bought season tickets and helped to persuade one other person or one other couple to buy season tickets as well.

If you buy football but not basketball season tickets, think about adding basketball...if you buy basketball, but not football season tickets, think about adding football.

If you cannot, think about attending a game or two each season and joing the Alumni Association and/or the Mean green Club to show your support. Numbers do count. In this case SIZE DOES MATTER!

If you have season tickets and cannot attend a game (football or basketball) do what you can to get the tickets into the hands of someone who can and will use them.

If you are not a member of the Alumni Association, please consider joining. There have been lots of positive changes made within the Association within the last few years. If you are not a member of the Mean Green Club, please consider joing. As with the Alumni Association, the Mean green Club is doing some very positive things these days. Jon Burkett does a fine job and the pre-game club gatherings are really fun.

WE can help UNT become it's school's favorite team. With the new stadium and a much improved team, the "selling" might just get a lot easier and the day in and day out support might just grow as well.

GO MEAN GREEN!

If you are not a member of the Alumni Association, please consider joining. There have been lots of positive changes made within the Association within the last few years.

One of the things that has hurt NT the most in the USNWR college survey is our low alumni association membership as a percentage of total alumni. If you check the scoring, this counts a lot and is one our worst areas. If we can increase this, our USNWR rating will rise dramatically!

never

As much as I hate to say it, the Dallas / Ft. Worth market is basically a Big 12 market for college football (mostly Texas, A&M, and OU with some TTech) with a smattering of TCU, SMU, and UNT publicity. Ft. Worth does give TCU some decent love. SMU gets a little pub for actually being in the city of Dallas. But really, when it comes to football, it is Dallas Cowboys, Big 12, then others.

I don't like it that way, but it is the reality of DFW sports.

Could UNT become the "darling of DFW"? Yes, but that would come through a long period of winning and getting some national pub - because the DFW market is interested in big winners. When we were I-AA, we did get quite a bit of publicity from the DFW media during the year that we were ranked #1 nationally and beat TTech and Rice. But in following years, it was like we didn't exist.

So if you want media attention in DFW - winning is the name of the game.