Espn - No Longer Big Six & The Others ?

MeanGreen61

We've been conditioned to believe in some mystical distinction between schools that belong to the six power football leagues and those that don't, even when discussing a completely different sport. But if that's the case, how is it that 11 different conferences will be represented when this year's Sweet 16 commences Thursday night?

FULL ARTICLE

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/03/22/tournament.reset/index.html?eref=sihp

We've been conditioned to believe in some mystical distinction between schools that belong to the six power football leagues and those that don't, even when discussing a completely different sport. But if that's the case, how is it that 11 different conferences will be represented when this year's Sweet 16 commences Thursday night?

FULL ARTICLE

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/03/22/tournament.reset/index.html?eref=sihp

The big six have ridiculous athletic budgets, and football visibility and quality do play a role in kids' decision of what school they're going to play for. Unless the school has basketball tradition, it is very hard to claw upwards. A school our size, with our facilities, our location, and our coach should be able to be a regular contender in the tournament. Instead it's a climb in both recruiting players and gaining respect. I have no doubt that if we were in the Big 12, we'd regularly contend with UT-Austin and Kansas for the title. Too much talent in DFW that goes elsewhere. But the same thing happens to TCU and SMU, so it's not like we're alone in this. :lol:

Edited by ColoradoEagle

This "mid-major" nonsense has always bothered me. Everyone buys into this like lemmings. We get so excited when we are ranked in the latest "mid-major" pole.

If all the non-power DI conferences are mid-majors, then just who are the low-majors? D II schools?

Framing like this is insidious. If I had a crystal ball, I would not be too surprised if the so-called "power" conferences formed a cartel just like the BCS. I applaud the Butler coach who chides anyone who refers to them as a mid-major power.

This "mid-major" nonsense has always bothered me. Everyone buys into this like lemmings. We get so excited when we are ranked in the latest "mid-major" pole.

If all the non-power DI conferences are mid-majors, then just who are the low-majors? D II schools?

Framing like this is insidious. If I had a crystal ball, I would not be too surprised if the so-called "power" conferences formed a cartel just like the BCS. I applaud the Butler coach who chides anyone who refers to them as a mid-major power.

The BCS may have set this up for themselves, but ESPN/FSN/All major TV networks/All major sports publications & websites are the ones pumping it up and keeping it going.

I would love to know who actually coined the term "mid-major". I would not be surprised if it were one of the above.

I think most true sports fans are like you letsgiveacheer. If you're good, you're good... No matter what conference you're in.

Problem is most people aren't true sports fans. See the Texas Douche for example.

Rick

Couldn't you argue they are bigger fan of sports because they seek out to see whoever is playing the best and cut ou all the other B.S.? As much as we love to rail on Texas Douche, at least they don't have to spend nights worrying about coaching changes, student fee votes, chancellor decisions and all the other crap we put up with because of where we got a degree.

Still, screw them all. They are even establishing a position of strength in Mexico.

• Upvote 1

With the Sweet 16 tonight, and five such schools remaining -- I'm just hoping we get one or two to advance to the Elite 8. The most favorable matchup is probably tomorrow night with UNI vs a beat up Michigan State team. Also might see Butler beat the 'Cuse tonight, simply because they have so many outside shooters(if ever a team was built to defeat the Orange's 2-3 zone, it would be Butler). I'd say those would be the two best bets.

Edited by CMJ

Couldn't you argue they are bigger fan of sports because they seek out to see whoever is playing the best and cut ou all the other B.S.? As much as we love to rail on Texas Douche, at least they don't have to spend nights worrying about coaching changes, student fee votes, chancellor decisions and all the other crap we put up with because of where we got a degree.

You are absolutely right. They don't worry about that because if any of this happens and UT doesn't do well for awhile, they can always become an OU or A&M douche.

• Upvote 1

You are absolutely right. They don't worry about that because if any of this happens and UT doesn't do well for awhile, they can always become an OU or A&M douche.

Exactly.

And that's OK because you'll always see your next school of choice's highlights on ESPN et al.

No need to know about "mid majors", until Boise St. & TCU come along... then they get their own douches as well.

For clarification sake... 'fill-in-the-blank douche' = 'fair-weather fan?' correct?

Or is there more to being a 'fill-in-the-blank douche'?

For clarification sake... 'fill-in-the-blank douche' = 'fair-weather fan?' correct?

Or is there more to being a 'fill-in-the-blank douche'?

All a douche is in this case is someone who wears the apparel of a school in the following situations:

a.) At a sporting event that does not include their team in any capacity, such as a Rangers game. Because of the need for caps and our jackets, this is now amended to mean someone wearing 2 items supporting that team at an outdoor sporting event in weather conditions.

b.) Someone who wears any college apparel to a formal or non-sports-themed social situation, such as a sweatshirt with team emblem to church.

c.) The term originally applied only to people who wore the 2005 National Champions Rose Bowl Shirt to Rangers games, and then took on a life of it's own, including when I wore UT apparel and bottles of douche taped to my body for Halloween. Please note that this involved my wife buying me 20 bottles of douche at Target earlier that day -- which I only now recognize as foreshadowing for her fateful green man suit purchase this year.

• Upvote 1

b.) Someone who wears any college apparel to a formal or non-sports-themed social situation, such as a sweatshirt with team emblem to church.

Oh no! Am I a North Texas douche?

c.) The term originally applied only to people who wore the 2005 National Champions Rose Bowl Shirt to Rangers games, and then took on a life of it's own, including when I wore UT apparel and bottles of douche taped to my body for Halloween. Please note that this involved my wife buying me 20 bottles of douche at Target earlier that day -- which I only now recognize as foreshadowing for her fateful green man suit purchase this year.

Pictures of this? ...maybe I don't want to ask.

Thanks for the clarification!

I think we're just sad we don't have a bunch of bandwagon douches following us because if we did, that would mean we were actually relevant in the scope of college sports. Not a one of you is going to tell some johnny-come-lately UNT fan to F off if we ever go 12-0 in football and garner a bunch of support from the DFW area. We'll celebrate it, as we should, and build on it.

I think we're just sad we don't have a bunch of bandwagon douches following us because if we did, that would mean we were actually relevant in the scope of college sports. Not a one of you is going to tell some johnny-come-lately UNT fan to F off if we ever go 12-0 in football and garner a bunch of support from the DFW area. We'll celebrate it, as we should, and build on it.

I think deep down, I have to agree.

Sadly, when we go 12-0, I think majority of those johnny-come-lately UNT fans will be UNT alumns!

I read this in a KSK mailbag and thought it kind of applied:

As a diehard college football fan it is tough for me to get into one specific team in the pros. I tend to root for my ex-college players and against our rivals ex-players. That being said is it wrong for me to pick and chose teams for a season to root for? Basically go with whatever team is most entertaining for me at the time. Does this make me a douche?

I don’t think it makes you a douchebag. Who can argue with pulling for the Saints this year? That team was just about as likable and exciting as you’ll see in the NFL.

Put it this way: if I meet random person X in a bar on Sunday afternoon, I might say, “Who’s your team?” And if that person responded, “Well, I’m mainly into college — I’m a huge [Georgia/Michigan/Oregon/whatever] fan, but I’m pulling for the Jets this year because I love Rex Ryan and that defense,” well, how can I find fault with that? You’re honest in liking what you like, and you’ve demonstrated enough respect for the pro game to choose someone to root for. Go forth, casual fan. Enjoy not being suicidal when your team shits the bed in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

While to an extent I agree with the article's thesis....the last school from outside the Power 6 to win it all was UNLV.

In 1990.

There's still a division, even if it isn't as apparent.

From the 1990 Final Four through last season:

The "AQ" 73 schools are 21% of Division but:

They have won 19 of the 20 titles (95%)

The have filled 37 of the 40 appearances in the title game (92.5%) [counts Memphis who vacated their appearance due to violations]

The AQ has filled 71 of the 80 slots in the Final Four (88.75%) [counts Louisville, Marquette, and Cincinnati who appeared on behalf of CUSA twice and Great Midwest once as non-AQ, counts Memphis, UMass, and Ohio State who vacated appearances due to violations]

• Upvote 1