Beem Me Up Scottie...................

Mo Green

Since JJ is our best coach & some are wondering about March post season play think about this-

We have played 2 teams with an RPI of between 1 & 100 and lost.

Then, we played 3 teams between 101-200, all the rest were between 201 and 300+( lala 244,fiu 285)

And you want post season? Because of our attendance (2400)? Our defense (UD over 10 3's)? our RPI at 140? In other words,no NIT, If we win out & win the championship can we play 1 game in March, because in March it's all about defense. We don't play defense. Take a time out & we'll talk about it.

Now, if football were to look like good coaches theuy would play bad (not good) teams that are not BCS players. Then,I guess, we've fixed football too..

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 19

Since JJ is our best coach & some are wondering about March post season play think about this-

Then, we played 3 teams between 101-200, all the rest were between 201 and 300+( lala 244,fiu 285)

And you want post season? Because of our attendance (2400)? Our defense (UD over 10 3's)? our RPI at 140? In other words,no NIT, If we win out & win the championship can we play 1 game in March, because in March it's all about defense. We don't play defense. Take a time out & we'll talk about it.

Now, if football were to look like good coaches theuy would play bad (not good) teams that are not BCS players. Then,I guess, we've fixed football too..

Are you saying win out as in regular season, or conference tournament included? Because the league tourney is ALL IN MARCH. So - we'd WIN at least 3 games in March if we won out.

Besides, I think all of the knowledgeable posters have already said no NIT unless we somehow won the league regular season title.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

Hey, we are going to win 20 games this year....ask SMU,TCU and UTA what it feels like to win 20 games back to back. They have no clue. We might just go to the big dance again. Ask SMU and TCU what that feels like. They have no clue. We are getting our bang for the buck with Johnny Jones. Those of you in distress, go shoot a few hoops in your drive way and calm down.

• Upvote 5

I think it's a little misleading to simply state that we're 0-2 vs. top 100 RPI teams. We lost after very respectable efforts on the road against the #14 (Texas A&M) and #37 (Oklahoma State) teams. I tend to think that either game could have (with a little luck) gone our way if it was played at home, but that's perhaps just my overly optimistic opinion.

Also, we played six teams (not three) with an RPI between 101-200, compiling a 4-3 record.

• Upvote 3

And now they start after wins...what a great fan base.

If more people read the basketball board, I think you'd be in the running to catch playmaker in the seventh ring of reputation point hell.

Courage.

You actually take the points system seriously don't you, as if someone's success in life balances on where their points are on a fan message board? I know it's difficult with the snow up there and all, but really, you need to get out more.

I assure you, Mo Green doesn't give a rats @$$ if people agree with him or not. He's paid his dues over the course of 35 years and he's going to give you his oppinion. Save yourself some trouble and move on if you don't agree with him.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 12

JJ's teams tend to be slow starters for whatever reason, and we were hit particularly hard by the injury bug this year. Although we're a good team and getting better, I don't think anyone claims that we are truly a great team at this point, and there are a lot of teams that play in the post-season who are not truly great teams.

So yes, I do think we deserve to be in the post-season if we earn that right over the coming weeks. Why the Hell not? Because we give up too many threes? Don't think so. Most every team has a weakness in some area, and ours appears to be perimeter defense and perimeter points off the bench. I'm not crazy about our steals to turnover ratio either, but we seem to be improving a bit in the turnover category. Let's just hope the improvement continues.

I assure you, Mo Green doesn't give a rats @$$ if people agree with him or not. He's paid his dues over the course of 35 years and he's going to give you his oppinion. Save yourself some trouble and move on if you don't agree with him.

Rick

"Mo Green" sounds like a football fan who's jealous of what the basketball team has. What's sad is that his argument of "if the football team played bottom feeders, they would be good too" because the football team does play bottom feeders (with the exception of Alabama) and still can't win.

Paid his dues or not, he is still a hater

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Please give me a football schedule that would be considered "easy" for our football team and tell me which games would be sure wins.

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

"Mo Green" sounds like a football fan who's jealous of what the basketball team has.

While I wouldn't use the word jealous, I think you're on to something there. I just think there are a lot of football fans who after another year of repeated nut-kickings wanted/expected a flawless basketball season to make them feel better. Add in the fact that most prognosticators chose us to win the belt outright and these fans suddenly feel extremely let down. It's just misplaced hatred of football futility. Were we to hold all of our athletic programs to the standards many want to impose on JJ we'd probably need to fire just about every single coach we've got.

Everything I've ever heard about Mo Green is that he's a great supporter of North Texas athletics (in all aspects of the phrase) and a proud, loyal fan.

I'm not sure where his dissatisfaction with the basketball program is coming from today, but everyone should probably put down the daggers and ease off on the assumptions and personal attacks.

I may come back later and address some of his complaints. For now, I'll just say that from what I understand, there might not be much in the way of North Texas athletics for us to argue about if it weren't for him.

• Upvote 1

One thing I'll say, respectfully, is that I don't know if there's a worse time to accuse us of playing poor defense than right after the game we just played vs. Denver.

Denver plays the Princeton offense, and the primary goal of that scheme is to use frequent passes and off-ball movement to open up lanes for wide open layups. It's an odd offense that can be difficult to defend because it's so different than what teams generally see (for you football fans, think of it as a triple option offense for the basketball court).

Denver only hit a total of 8 2-point baskets all night. That's four baskets per half, one every five minutes of game time. So basically, we avoided the Princeton offense trap, and we almost completely shut down the primary component of their offensive game. I can only remember them hitting one layup that looked like a defensive breakdown in the whole game.

The backup plan for the Princeton offense, the way to keep opponents from just clogging the lane to shut you down, is the 3 point shot. Denver hit 11 of them, and that's the only reason they were able to stay close with us. 3 of them came from guys who were 6'9", taller than anyone we have except for Ben Knox.

We also completely shut down one of the frontrunners for Sun Belt Player of the Year, Nate Rohnert. He averages 15 per game on a team that averages in the mid 60's. Last night, he had 3 points.

Basically, we went into last night planning on shutting down the layup lanes and locking down one of the best players in our league. We did that to near perfection. The risk of that approach is that you're leaving tall guys open on the perimeter, and we were daring Denver to beat us by having tall, gangly white guys (but not their best white guy) jack up 3's. They did a pretty amazing job of it, all things considered... Hit 11 of them, shot 55% from 3 point land... But they still lost by 5.

We took away their high percentage shots. We shut down their all star. They still managed to shoot a ridiculous percentage from the outside, but it wasn't enough. It was a good defensive strategy, it worked, and if we face them again in the tournament, I hope we do it again.

• Upvote 5

One thing I'll say, respectfully, is that I don't know if there's a worse time to accuse us of playing poor defense than right after the game we just played vs. Denver.

Denver plays the Princeton offense, and the primary goal of that scheme is to use frequent passes and off-ball movement to open up lanes for wide open layups. It's an odd offense that can be difficult to defend because it's so different than what teams generally see (for you football fans, think of it as a triple option offense for the basketball court).

Denver only hit a total of 8 2-point baskets all night. That's four baskets per half, one every five minutes of game time. So basically, we avoided the Princeton offense trap, and we almost completely shut down the primary component of their offensive game. I can only remember them hitting one layup that looked like a defensive breakdown in the whole game.

The backup plan for the Princeton offense, the way to keep opponents from just clogging the lane to shut you down, is the 3 point shot. Denver hit 11 of them, and that's the only reason they were able to stay close with us. 3 of them came from guys who were 6'9", taller than anyone we have except for Ben Knox.

We also completely shut down one of the frontrunners for Sun Belt Player of the Year, Nate Rohnert. He averages 15 per game on a team that averages in the mid 60's. Last night, he had 3 points.

Basically, we went into last night planning on shutting down the layup lanes and locking down one of the best players in our league. We did that to near perfection. The risk of that approach is that you're leaving tall guys open on the perimeter, and we were daring Denver to beat us by having tall, gangly white guys (but not their best white guy) jack up 3's. They did a pretty amazing job of it, all things considered... Hit 11 of them, shot 55% from 3 point land... But they still lost by 5.

We took away their high percentage shots. We shut down their all star. They still managed to shoot a ridiculous percentage from the outside, but it wasn't enough. It was a good defensive strategy, it worked, and if we face them again in the tournament, I hope we do it again.

You can only play defense up to a point -- they can always get lucky and knock down shots no matter how tight the defense is playing. You are gonna give up looks but the goal is to make them highly contested, low percentage shots. Once we took away their bread and butter (the afore mentioned Princeton) you live with them taking their second favorite shots by their second favorite shot takers.

Short version: Yeah what tasty said.

You actually take the points system seriously don't you, as if someone's success in life balances on where their points are on a fan message board? I know it's difficult with the snow up there and all, but really, you need to get out more.

Rick

Oh sweetheart...don't worry, I know that success in life is really measured by the amount of money I have in the bank and the number and cost of all the shiny things in and around my house...I was just pointing out the inevitable humor of the backlash from the reasonible fans of this basketball program when someone fires off so douche-ily right after a damned big night that has this perpetually under-acheiving basketball team and their mediocre coach still very much in the hunt for a conference title.

And now the rule is to simply reply to the threads with which we agree...biting our collective tongues in all other cases? Should make for a great discussion board.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It would be nice if folks would kinda stop looking for something to bitch about and pull together occasionally. A lotta folks would like to have a team to back that is doing as good as this one. Look at how the other teams in the metroplex are doing. TCU,SMU and UTA are in UNTs rear view mirror. This team is definately in the hunt for a berth in the Dance and on the way to their best conference record since being in the Belt.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 4

It would be nice if folks would kinda stop looking for something to bitch about and pull together occasionally. A lotta folks would like to have a team to back that is doing as good as this one. Look at how the other teams in the metroplex are doing. TCU,SMU and UTA are in UNTs rear view mirror. This team is definately in the hunt for a berth in the Dance and on the way to their best conference record since being in the Belt.

They should be better. Plain and simple.

:mellow:

• Upvote 1

+1 for a spot on game recap.

My only quarrel with the result (besides the adventures at the FT line), is I would have liked to have seen someone at least get a hand in the face of the 3 point shooter now and then. But hey, it was still a great win and kept momentum going into the post season.

+1 for a spot on game recap.

My only quarrel with the result (besides the adventures at the FT line), is I would have liked to have seen someone at least get a hand in the face of the 3 point shooter now and then. But hey, it was still a great win and kept momentum going into the post season.

Hey, you're going to give those low-percentage 3's in order to stop those high percentage layups. Denver just went on a tear in the middle of the second half with those 3's, but UNT found a way to win again. I'll have to go look, but I'm pretty sure we held them to their 5th lowest point total of the season.