Canales Close To Deal With North Texas

Harry

Seems to be that most everyone believes it is a done deal. Sure looks like a good hire to me. I would be excited to see Canales with the Mean Green working with Riley and the offense. DeLoach on defense (with a year under his belt back at UNT) and Canales on offense with TD acting as the CEO would appear to be a good situation for the Mean Green Nation. I am hopeful...VERY hopeful.

Go Mean Green!

Not sure if its ever been stated before but do we know when the athletic fee or stadium fee (not sure what it's called exactly) can be used to increase our coaches salaries? I believe that our low pay for coordinators and asst coaches hurts us as bad if not worse than an old, outdated stadium.

Fee takes effect when the stadium opens, so Fall 2011.

"Riley Dodge opted to play for his dad at tiny North Texas"

Just goes to show what the rest of the nation (and even some folks in our own backyard) thinks of UNT. We're anything but "tiny". *OK, our football budget is apparently tiny* :P

We're not Austin College though!

Until our athletics programs can play on the national stage, this will be the view of regular Joes everywhere. Sad, but true...

"Riley Dodge opted to play for his dad at tiny North Texas"

Just goes to show what the rest of the nation (and even some folks in our own backyard) thinks of UNT. We're anything but "tiny". *OK, our football budget is apparently tiny* :P

We're not Austin College though!

Until our athletics programs can play on the national stage, this will be the view of regular Joes everywhere. Sad, but true...

Well said and when I look at what our worthless Chancellor is making as he promotes only Dallas, I can't help but believe that there is room in the university's budget to allocate more to athletics to pay competitive salaries. The Pres can crow about our increased national academic status but until we become competitive with the mid majors, the rest of the world and in particular the metroplex sees us as tiny North Texas.

• Upvote 2

I enjoyed this part of the article, I am sure the writer meant Ford's because he lists TD's salary in the following paragraph.

Dodge’s 2009 salary was $93,700 according to USA Today, so money is believed to be the primary hold-up.

I enjoyed this part of the article, I am sure the writer meant Ford's because he lists TD's salary in the following paragraph.

I don't know what the problem is. Pay our coaches in accordance with how much D1 college coaching experience they have. We should have no problem making Canales happy...Dodge, not so much.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Downvote 2

Ok, what's the holdup with Canales?? How long we should give him to make a decision??

He may be our top choice, but there are other options out there...it sounds like there's a long line of unemployed coaches looking for work at the Senior Bowl.

From footballscoop.com:

Senior Bowl Lobby: It certainly seems as though there are more coaches around this year than any previous year. The afternoon practice had a big-time crowd yesterday. We have seen at least 30-40 unemployed college coaches walking and talking. Crazy profession.