Milke Canales Salary

bdan2002

I can't help but wonder that if this hire is actually made, Canales may be the head coach in waiting if Dodge fails to meet expectations this season. I have read where Canales was being considered for other HC positions before this year. If Dodge succeeds, Canales will get some of the credit and a boost for his resume. If Dodge fails, there is an opening here - possibly even with an interim HC audition once UNT hits the point where a winning season is not possible.

Good point - I was thinking maybe this was his UNT salary.

My guess is that he would be willing to take less salary to be in a job for one year as opposed to sitting out and hoping that another job opens up. There is no way we can pay him 200K as it would be more than the highest assistant we have, Coach Deloach and would thus mess up the assistant salary hierarchy.

I would check the fine print in his contract with USF. My guess would be that if he is hired elsewhere, or the terms of his contract are not fulfilled, then he will be compensated for that period of time by USF.

Bottom line, and this is pure speculation. He has been hired by North Texas for one season. He will be compensated by USF and North Texas, and could possibly make more than the 202K he was making at USF. Just a guess, but think about it...

Many assistant contracts are just year to year, so there probably is no problem in getting him here. Also, as was pointed out during the Lincoln Riley vigil, $90,000 a year is more than $0 a year.

The thing I like about Canales is that he's been part of building a program (USF), coaching QBs to the NFL (Philip Rivers), and understands JUCO-level talent (Snow JC) so that he can probably separate the men from the boys in recruiting those types.

If we get this guy, I don't think there's any way possible for us to have a losing season in 2010. He brings so much to the table; and, it comes from experience is at a higher levels than the Sun Belt...or high school. This is the type of hire we've been waiting/clamoring for.

• Upvote 4

Many assistant contracts are just year to year, so there probably is no problem in getting him here. Also, as was pointed out during the Lincoln Riley vigil, $90,000 a year is more than $0 a year.

The thing I like about Canales is that he's been part of building a program (USF), coaching QBs to the NFL (Philip Rivers), and understands JUCO-level talent (Snow JC) so that he can probably separate the men from the boys in recruiting those types.

If we get this guy, I don't think there's any way possible for us to have a losing season in 2010. He brings so much to the table; and, it comes from experience is at a higher levels than the Sun Belt...or high school. This is the type of hire we've been waiting/clamoring for.

I hope you're right about him bringing wins here. The question then becomes, who gets the credit? Canales or Dodge? If this guy is the "x-factor" then why keep the guy who can't win but for the assistant who props him up?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I found this interesting:

Back to the OCs (from FIU blog on January 13,2010) - I'm posting the entire blog because this entry is pretty far down on the page and hard to find.

With a couple of previous OC candidates getting jobs elsewhere in recent days (Mike Groh - Louisville & Shane Montgomery - Youngstown State), the list has dwindled some as far as who will be the Panthers offensive coordinator in 2010.

What we know so far is the following coaches have interviewed for the position: Gregg Brandon, Scott Satterfield, Charlie Weatherbie, Ed Zaunbrecher and Mike Cassano.

Canales Now there are 4 other names to throw into the mix, who have also interviewed as of today: South Florida offensive coordinator Mike Canales (left), former Akron head coach J.D. Brookhart, Southern Illinois offensive coordinator Phil Longo and Stephen F. Austin offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson (right).

Interesting situation at USF, after Leavitt got fired the A.D. asked the coaching staff to stay on through recruiting with whoever is the new Bulls head coach making the decision on whether or not to retain Leavitt's assistants. Not sure if I'm a USF assistant I'm too comfortable with that situation. Canales has also been courted by Southern Mississippi. So he seems to have options for 2010. Canales has also directed a pretty potent USF offense, mentored Chargers QB Phillip Rivers and has a tonDawson of experience. Check out his bio: Mike Canales

Dawson worked wonders at SFA with the Lumberjacks offense. (That's the same SFA that FIU upset when the Jacks were ranked No. 5 in Division I-AA in 2004). Dawson took an offense that was averaging 16 points a game and had the SFA O averaging 35 points per game the next season. You gotta like those numbers. Here's more on Dawson: Shannon Dawson

We could learn soon who will direct the FIU O in 2010.

Of the remaining candidates, who seems to be the best choice?

As most of you know, FIU hired Satterfield to be their new OC. There could be a thousand reasons why he didn't get or accept the job at FIU, so I don't care to speculate. I just thought it was interesting that he was interviewed by FIU.